Tenant changed name but didn’t tell Landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant changed name but didn’t tell Landlord

Hi everyone, not sure if this is legal? My tenant signed a tenancy agreement for 3 years then informed me just before signing next AST for year 4, that they had changed their name by legal deed poll 10 months into the first year of tenancy. They didn’t tell us and carried on signing short hold tenancy agreements under old name for 3 years. Is this legal? What are the consequences for Landlord and tenant? Many thanks

So i gather the original AST was for 1 year ? Then another was signed at the end of that fixed term..... ?

Also have they said why the change in name ?

Comment

Just get the full name (passport/ ID) with the new name for your records.

In future once the fixed term AST has ended, just let it go periodic.......

Comment

Tenant might be a woman like me! I've just done the UK Gov approved form to change name by Deed Poll so I can get at an old share account in my previous married name I never changed. I have no photo ID for my old married name and that is a problem now.
        Ask tenant for a copy of their Deed Poll document.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I don't see any problem.

Anyone is legally entitled to call themselves whatever they want to, as long as it isn't in an attempt to defraud anyone.

At it's simplest many people are known by a different or shortened first name than what is on their birth certificate.
          People who have been adopted often use their adopted surname rather than the name on their birth certificates.

You only need to do it by deed poll if you want to change it on official documents, driving licence, passport, etc. (or apply for one)
          You can even make your own deed poll with a couple of witnesses.
          https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

I know a few people who go-by/use different names to what is on their official documents.
          (And even one who though he had been using a different name for decades, but it turned out to be what was on his birth certificate all along, long story).

Even after changing your 'official' name by deed poll you can still use whatever name you like, as long as it isn't in an attempt to defraud anyone.

Comment

Yes, the tenancy is renewed annually with a new AST. The tenant divorced and decided to change her name towards the end of first year of tenancy by deed pole but then continued to sign for the next 2 years in her old married name but didn’t inform us until the 4th year. From a personal perspective I don’t think I’d be comfortable signing a legal document knowing I’d changed my name legally and not informed the other party to the agreement. But… hey-ho we’re all different. Thank you for your messages

Comment

Your name is what you’re known by, and people can have multiple names.
              A deed poll is simply a formal route so you obtain documents with a name different to your birth or married name.

If you were born Susan, but everyone calls you Snake, you can sign contracts or be served warrants as Snake. But, if you want a passport in the name of Snake, you’ll need a deed poll.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X