• Show
Clear All

• Tess444
    replied
    thanks everybody for your helpful replies! much appreciated

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    If the tenants don't agree to your proposal then you will have to contact the DPS and let them decide by arbitration - long protracted and they don't often come down on the landlord's side. Is the deposit in the Custodial or Insured scheme?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    You can't require the tenant to get the place professionally cleaned, only to ensure its clean to an agreed standard.

Is this a weekly tenancy? Otherwise why is the notice 4 weeks?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Is this periodic or fixed term, please? If they want to leave by end fixed term no notice is needed

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    1. You can not deduct half the rent if you have accepted the notice that they gave you.
    2. Professional cleaning unfortunately this is a myth, there is no real qualification for cleaning, all you can do is state on the deductions areas which weren't clean, get a company to clean the property and you put in the claim for it. As long as your starting inventory started it was cleaned.
    3. You don't need evidence, you only need to know who their supplier is, then call them and give the closing meter readings, after that the utilities will be transferred to you (and you can move to anyone you want, I leave it on a variable with 0 exit fees, so that the next T can go to anyone they want).
    4. If your deductions are accepted by the T, then you will get the proportion from the deposit, if it is disputed then it goes to arbitration and they will decide on which elements are correct.
    5. Get all your evidence, quotes or invoices, as if it is disputed you have a short period to submit the information to the deposit scheme. It can take 2months for them to give you a final response and then payment in 5-10days.

Leave a comment:

• Questions from a brand new landlord/tenants have just want to move out

Hi everybody,

I am hoping you can help me with a few questions, as I am very new as a landlord and I have never been in this situation before. Located in North West England.

My tenants (a couple) gave verbal notice that they wanted to move out 2 weeks before the new monthly rent was due, despite the fact that the agreement clearly states they should give 4 weeks notice. They said it was a sudden decision and could not give me longer notice. I wrote them back a few days later to summarise what we had discussed over the phone & reminded them of the notice & the need to get the property professionally cleaned and that the garden should have been maintained (as per agreement).

I inspected the property today and they did not get it professionally cleaned. They said that the property needs some freshening-up/decorating (which is true) and could not be cleaned any better (they claimed they cleaned it themselves). The garden has been tidied up a bit, but not to the level it was originally. Apparently smoke alarms & fireplace do not work (they never notified me before and due to the pandemic the property had not been inspected recently). Also the toilet flush does not work and they never notified it.

Additionally, when I asked if they had notified all utilities that they are moving out, they said that they are still in the process of doing it.
    They have been paying late every single month and in need of constant chasing. They lied about lots of things and I do not trust them fully.

My questions:

1) Could I request to deduct half of the rent from the deposit since they only gave me 15 days notice? If not, what could I do instead?
    2) Could I request to deduct the cost of professional cleaning (will get a quote from a company) from the deposit?
    3) Can I demand that they give me evidence that they have switched all utilities, as I would not want to pay anything they owe to anybody? I took meter readings today.
    4) Once and if I agree on all the above (which might be a challenge), how does it work with the deposit? Should I contact the DPS or them or bye should both get in touch?
    4) Anything else you recommend me doing/looking at/considering?

Apologies for the very basic questions, but I am very new to this. Any suggestion/support would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tess

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X