Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HGV Visa Scheme - housing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58687026

So, the Gov has just decided to allow 5,000 foreign HGV drivers a temporary 3 month work visa for Oct to Dec.

Er where do they get accommodation for just 3 months?

I'm thinking the HGV driver shortage wont suddenly vanish on Jan 1st 2022 - so a temp 6 month Visa to match a 6 month AST would make sense.

But what do I know.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Err;

Do they think that thousands of HGV drivers are sat on their hands across the channel just waiting for the call?

It shows how out of touch with the world they are.

Comment

Why sign up for a AST, when most of them would sleep in their cab's or use a cheap B&B.....
      Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

Most HGV drivers will sleep in the cab. With return journey's back home depending on what type of delivery they are doing.

Comment

Not sure what rules the new visas will contain regarding a uk address or bank account. I would point out that supermarket drivers will not be sleeping out nor petrol tanker drivers etc etc etc. Most HGV driver jobs will not be nights out. I don't see many foreign drivers making a mad dash for Britain, the majority of them would have just stayed here in the first place. Not sure how we have a shortage of petrol tanker drivers when it was the best paid HGV job you could get. I still see companies advertising for Class 1 drivers at £9.75 per hour, no wonder nobody wants to spend years training for that rate. Time to invest in the UK drivers and up the wages.

Comment

It used to be a decently paid job, now it's barely above minimum wage. So who's going to do it when they can sit on their backside in a call centre for the same money? We've lived on cheap imported labour for far too long IMO, time businesses got back to training their own workforce and paying them adequately. I'll be the first to complain about the increased prices though!

Comment

Haha you couldn't make it up. I suspect they won't get knocked down in the rush to come to our 'hostile environment' . . . ­čÖä

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X