Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    Yes. Thats one of the many reasons not to issue replacement tenancies.

Leave a comment:

• Kape65
    replied
    So do you need to issue a copy of the EPC at the start of every new tenancy with the same tenants?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Never trust government guidance, it's very simplified.
    If you're a landlord you have to give a tenant a copy of the EPC before the start of the tenancy.
    If you sell a house, you have to give the buyer a copy of the EPC before completion.

You have to show it as part of marketing a property, but that's not the limit of what you're required to do.

Leave a comment:

• Kape65
    replied
    Gov.uk says "You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent." A simplistic view I know but if you didn't market the property you don't officially need one.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Worriednow View Post
    I think the 2015 point you make only applies where a shorthold assured tenancy has expired and then continues on a statutory periodic tenancy by default. In this case a new tenancy was signed every year so it was a renewal of a assured shorthold tenancy. So I don't think that can be argued?
    I think you have fundamentally misunderstood the responses that you have received.

Do what you think best.

Leave a comment:

• Worriednow
    replied
    Unfortunately I simply renewed the tenancy like I have been on a yearly basis. So when I last renewed with them I didn't give a EPC, we just renewed amicably. It's only since serving the S21 notice that I realised I should have given them the EPC when they renewed last year, except it had already expired before the renewal took place (something I realised yesterday). And now I have realised the same EPC is obviously not valid for the S21 notice I served in May this year because ( yes this is stupid.of me) I only just realised yesterday that it has a 10 year validity.

So does that mean the tenancy renewal itself was illegal as well?

And back to the original problem, do I have to serve a new S21 notice to evict them?

I think the 2015 point you make only applies where a shorthold assured tenancy has expired and then continues on a statutory periodic tenancy by default. In this case a new tenancy was signed every year so it was a renewal of a assured shorthold tenancy. So I don't think that can be argued?

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Did you give them a copy of it while it was valid, or only after it expired when you served the s21?

"The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant."

It doesn't say it has to be given within so long before the tenancy starts. It can probably be argued that a valid certificate given say August 2015 before they first became a tenant still fulfils the terms of the requirement though the latest tenancy started 2020.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    The requirement is that whoever serves the section 21 notice has complied with regulation 6(5) of the Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012.

Which says that "The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant."

So, until someone interprets it differently in a senior court, you have to have given the EPC when (possibly before) the tenant first moved in. It doesn't matter if it subsequently expired.

There's always a risk that at some pint a court will decide because a renewal is a new tenancy, the tenant "becomes" the tenant again when it renews - but the word "ultimately" seems to make that less likely.
    And that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    Next time, do not renew, let the tenancy go periodic, that way you don't get into any issues with documents and dates.

Leave a comment:

• Worriednow
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

No.

Are you a worried landlord or a tenant clutching at straws? Advice remains the same.
    I don't think it does.. The first time I've served one of these and it clearly states in the guidance notes that a EPC should be included. Although nothing about dates. So seeking advice.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by Worriednow View Post
    So does that make S21 invalid. The S21 states tenants have to be out in November, so I guess that is no longer the case and I would have to get a new EPC and serve S21 notice again with 4 months notice. Correct?
    No.

Are you a worried landlord or a tenant clutching at straws? Advice remains the same.

Leave a comment:

• Worriednow
    replied
    Originally posted by 1600e View Post
    If the EPC was valid at the start of this tenancy you're fine but you'll need to get a new one before advertising/letting again.
    The shorthold assured tenancy has been renewed each year over several years with the same tenants. It renewed on 25 August 2020 for 1 year unfortunately the EPC started on 10 August 2010 so I guess it expired on 10 August 2020. So the EPC had already expired when the most recent tenancy renewed.

So does that make S21 invalid. The S21 states tenants have to be out in November, so I guess that is no longer the case and I would have to get a new EPC and serve S21 notice again with 4 months notice. Correct?

Leave a comment:

• 1600e
    replied
    Also they don't 'have' to be out when the s21 expires, only the courts and Bailiffs can make them go.

Leave a comment:

• 1600e
    replied
    If the EPC was valid at the start of this tenancy you're fine but you'll need to get a new one before advertising/letting again.

Leave a comment:

• Worriednow
    started a topic S21 served expired EPC!

S21 served expired EPC!

Hi All
    Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but I have just realised that the Energy Performance Certificate I attached to the S21 expired in 2020!

So does that make the S21 notice invalid?

If it is invalid then is it a simple case of giving 2 months notice again or do I need to get a new EPA certificate and serve another S21 notice.

Help appreciated.
    Thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to accelerated possession section 8
    by jpkeates
    That's not the same thing, though.

A section 21 notice accelerated possession claim is one that can proceed without a hearing (although that doesn't always happen). It is a specific process that you elect to follow (or not).

A section 8 notice will always have a hearing, because...
    18-01-2022, 17:36 PM
  • accelerated possession section 8
    by imranpal
    Is it possible to exercise accelerated possession using section 8 ?

My solicitor is advising to go with accelerated possession to evict the tenant and once we have court order we can file another court case to collect the rent arrears .

i was in impression that accelerated...
    18-01-2022, 12:45 PM
  • Reply to Tenancy inspection - more than one inspector?
    by jpucng62
    As a LL who uses a letting agent, I like to look around my properties occasionally in order to ascertain whether I need to be doing anything - I find my views and the agent's often differ! There is no reason to be particularly alarmed by this - I would see it as an opportunity to raise any issues with...
    18-01-2022, 17:04 PM
  • Reply to Property Guardianship services - any experiences?
    by JamesHopeful
    Thank you both. I have now read up about it.

As far as I can see, there are a number of risks to both the resident guardian and the guardianship company. The former (ostensibly) has very few rights and may end up living in a substandard or even dangerous property; the latter risks getting...
    18-01-2022, 16:46 PM
    by mokka
    Won’t care if buying property as I did ...
    18-01-2022, 16:24 PM
    by imranpal
    as per this blog it is possible If the tenant falls behind with rent, the landlord can repossess the property and cut their losses. After you miss to pay 2 months of rent, the landlord is eligible to use an accelerated possession procedure. If proven the court will grant the order immediately.
    18-01-2022, 15:30 PM
    by jpkeates
    There is no accelerated possession with section 8.

I think your solicitor is suggesting using section 21 to obtain possession and then making a separate claim for the money the tenant (presumably) owes.

That would be the advice of many people here, provided that you can serve...
    18-01-2022, 13:13 PM
    by ash72
    It may be that the LL is making sure the LA is doing their job with their property, rather than checking up on you. Is there any reason you don't want both of them looking at the same time, I would have thought it was more efficient then each come separately.

You just need to ensure you...
    18-01-2022, 11:04 AM
  • Reply to Rent increase or being served notice
    by ash72
    Just bear in mind, when you are served notice, and don't leave, the LL/ LA will then move towards the courts, once this happens all the costs will then be on the T.

Your best solution is to communicate with the LL/LA as well as search for alternative accommodation, you will have up to 2...
    18-01-2022, 10:58 AM
  • Reply to Rent increase or being served notice
    by Goodeys
    Many thanks all for your reply. Yeah there is nothing on the market at all really, nightmare.

I assume they wish to serve me with a S21 immediately as they gave me 7 days to respond which would tie in with S21 being served two months before my tenancy even ends.

I’ve been...
    18-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Working...
X