Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?

Hello everyone,

After signing the contract, but before moving in, the flat suffered some flood damage. 3 rooms needed repainting because of water stains and paint falling off.
    We were promised that this will be taken care of after moving in. We followed up several times, but the repairs were never done.

Fast forward 1.5 years and having left the flat, the landlord wants to take 350 pounds for some "light cleaning" and door damage that we didn't do (neither us nor the agency have photos of the door from before).

Could the flood damage that wasn't repaired during the whole tenancy be used in the TDS dispute?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

1.5 years later a claim is being made after leaving the property? Dispute it and see who gets what via the process....

Comment

We stayed at the property for 1.5 years and now we're dealing with the deposit return. We left 2 months ago.

Comment

I don't see why the flood damage is relevant to the claim being made or it being disputed.
        The place either needed cleaning or it didn't and the doors were either damaged or they weren't (sounds like not).

If there's no evidence of the state of the place when you moved in, I'd say the landlord has almost no chance of success.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Separate to your deposit issue...........

It goes to show why some LLs don't bother to maintain their properties - if tenants don't chase up and get the 3 rooms repainted as promised in 1.5 years of occupation then what incentive is there for the LL to shell out £££.

While poor LLs need to be held accountable, tenants need to do their part too and not allow these LLs to continue as they have.
          My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Thank you all for the thoughts. It seems that the damages that haven't been repaired aren't relevant? The way I thought about it is that in the contract, we were supposed to move into the place as seen before signing the contract. But when we moved in, the place was in a significantly different state. And had I been responsible for the flood damage, you bet the LL would've taken all my deposit... I guess my thinking was wrong since those are separate issues... breach of contract and the deposit.

On the door damages... the original check-in inspection report doesn't have photos of that door so there's no way to know if the damage had been there. The check-out does and the damage is visible. Does that immediately make us responsible for them?

Comment

An inventory does not need photo's (it helps, but not necessary) as long as the description is sufficient.

Comment

Landlord is at fault for not doing as promised. It is not the tenants job to chase crap landlords continuously to do their part. It seems the same story ‘promise it will be done after you move in’. Convenient that.

Comment

Sounds like a poor LL. But if the damage is not noted on check-in and is listed on check out, then rightly or wrongly the evidence is in LL favour, surely?

If there was damage at check-in and it was not noted on the report, then it is the tenant's responsibility to have the report amended. That's how condition reports work. If the door were related to the flood problem then it might be arguable that it was part of the same problem and caused at the same time. But as I am reading this the door is a completely separate issue.

The damage is not listed on the check-in report and was not noted by the tenant. I don't think the argument that the walls were not painted is relevant. However, I would go back to LL and point out that you have been more than reasonable and tolerant, that the worst you have done is not made a note of pre-existing damage and that the least he can do is show you similar goodwill.
                  Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit Schemes
                    by Beswick
                    I prefer my tenants to have paid a deposit. It gives them an investment in the condition of the property when they hand it back to me, and an incentive of the lump sum back if it's in good condition. If there's nothing to lose, I think they'd be less likely to care as much about how it is they hand...
                    29-11-2021, 08:38 AM
                  • Deposit Schemes
                    by CharlesT
                    Apologies if this has been covered before. Have landlords on here had any negative experiences with the so called 0 deposit schemes whereby prospective tenants pay only one week's rent as a premium to a third party provider, the latter being responsible for compensating the landlord in the event of...
                    28-11-2021, 17:04 PM
                  • Reply to Repairs done on the managed property
                    by Hudson01
                    As said above, they do everything as you would want them to do given you are thousands of miles away, but if you do ask them to use your tradespeople and they are not able to come quickly, then what ? It sometimes is best just to let them get on with it, but picking the right agency is very important,...
                    29-11-2021, 08:36 AM
                  • Repairs done on the managed property
                    by orange_cat
                    Hi everyone,

A new landlady here, so please excuse newbie (and probably dumb) questions.

Due to pandemic, my family and I temporarily reallocated outside the UK and we want to let our property while we are away.
                    We have decided to use a letting agency to advertise, find...
                    29-11-2021, 08:12 AM
                  • Reply to Repairs done on the managed property
                    by ash72
                    Usually if you have given the property to full manage, then that's what they should do, and they should have a limit before they need authorisation from you above a certain amount, usually £250- £300 anything below this they don't need to bother you. If you have your own trusted tradesperson then...
                    29-11-2021, 08:18 AM
                  • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                    by Interlaken
                    I think I'd be nosey and look at the Land Registry to see who the owner of the house is. That's not your question I know Bertie. Agree with the others - what worked for you originally is not working now so maybe time to move on.
                    29-11-2021, 08:01 AM
                  • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                    by Bert1e
                    Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                    28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                  • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                    by Perce
                    I don’t understand why to create all these problems for Sara and yourself when it is obvious that you need to move.

I am sure that tenants/lodgers who are unable to find the easiest solution to the problem but just create more will fail in all areas of their life....
                    28-11-2021, 23:28 PM
                  • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                    by Ted.E.Bear
                    It obviously looks dodgy to lots of people. A court might believe that this is a sham agreement.
                    https://www.legalforlandlords.co.uk/...-means-prison/
                    Getting it wrong can have serious consequences, particularly if you really do plan to creep up behind him and just lock him out.
                    28-11-2021, 22:55 PM
                  • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                    by bob369
                    Various cases have ruled not.
                    Can you point these to me please.

If the tenant has a self contained flat in the building, then I believe the "lodgers" will not be licensees
                    Why does the property being a 'self contained flat' make the lodger not a licencee, why is a...
                    28-11-2021, 19:57 PM
                  Working...
                  X