Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety

    Does anyone know how I might find myself a flat to live in that I can later sublet in its entirety?

    I am wanting to spend 6 months at a time in Canada and then 6 months in the UK and repeat this - while keeping the same UK address and subletting the UK flat while I am away in Canada each time.

    High Street letting agents tell me that they do not permit subletting.

    Can anyone offer any advice?

    Your plan has a fairly basic problem, in that it's almost impossible to guarantee that the person living in the property while you're in Canada will leave after six months.

    You'd pretty much have to find someone with exactly the same life cycle as you, with an exactly matching six month's need to live in wherever you will be in the UK.

    Most flat leases won't allow what you're proposing, either.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      As someone else as tenant would be living there, using property as your address perhaps unwise (tenant is entirely entitled to return all your or anyone else's mail to sender), plus fraud (if eg land registry have that as only address tenant could sell the place or mortgage it, you'd not see the paperwork..big big loss). Plus where would a tenant "serve notices" (eg notice they are leaving, legal requirement for an address)?? The paperwork would go to property, you'd not see it, not know tenant had left, place empty.

      Where in UK (eg Wales, NI..) as laws differ in the different un-united nations..

      Yes you can grant a 6 month tenancy but tenant has the right to continue living there at end of 6 months: Might take 9-15 months to evict.

      Before going any further, get some education in being a landlord in whichever nation you're planning on.

      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Maybe do it in reverse? Find holiday lets that want to do 6 months out of season lets and want a long term arrangement. (Obviously depends on season and location).

        Have a search for "winter lets Cornwall" for example.


          As said above, it's a No No.

          As well as no moving out when you want them too, they could use it for all sorts of '' activities ''..... Cannabis Farm for one. There is very good reason landlords and letting agents and lenders do not allow this.


            Can anyone tell me why entire-home subletting might be such a common practice in other countries but not in the UK/England?

            Apparently, for example, in Montreal, Canada, subletting is something people leaving their home for some time do without such concerns about tenants refusing to leave etc.


              I do not know...... but why does it matter what happens in other parts of the world, the laws on everything and especially property will be different therefore it's a pointless comparison.


                You could look in an area that has companies nearby or where you have relatives who could manage it on a holiday let/Airbnb basis for you whilst you're away. You would need to pay them for cleaning/laundry/advertising and managing bookings etc plus whatever profit is appropriate, but you would still get some income. However, your problem will be finding a property that doesn't have a restrictive covenant on running business from the property/using it as anything other than a residential home. Unless you can stretch to a freehold property, you may be out of luck.


                Latest Activity