Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royw
    replied
    I use cheap carpet over good underlay everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    The underlay is the key.
    At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid price carpet on a decent underlay and plan on 10yrs - anything more is a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    The Association of Independent Inventory clerks produce a guide to "Fair Wear and Tear" where carpets made predominantly of man made fibres have a typical lifetime of 5 years, while mainly wool carpets have a 10 year lifetime.

But it also depends on the type of room and the amount of traffic.

There will be decisions in courts all the time relating to this, but not at a level that sets a precedent.

Or you could ask the manufacturer or calculate a figure on their warranty period - which is likely to be safely within the expected lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    In the DPS guide of 2012 they use 10 years as the life expectancy of a carpet. I have always worked on 10 years although it clearly can vary with the quality of the carpet, the daily wear and tear and how it is looked after.

It can be pretty frustrating when you have an 8 year old carpet in a bedroom that is in perfectly good condition until a tenant burns a hole or spills a cup of coffee - all you can really claim for is 2 years when in reality it might have lasted a further 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• davett
    started a topic Typical lifetime of carpets

Typical lifetime of carpets

I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X