No prescribed information or gas safety certificate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No prescribed information or gas safety certificate.

I'm looking for some information about what my options are with my situation.

In July I signed a HMO tenancy agreement with a letting agent.

I paid a deposit (service: Deposit Protection Service) but received no "prescribed information" and no certificate. I only received an automated email saying you can login to the deposit website.

I attempted to login/sign up to the deposit protection service website, using the details provided on the tenancy agreement.

Eventually lettings agent sent me the deposit certificate (today 13/09/21). The address on the certificate is a completely different one to that on the tenancy agreement (explaining why I was unable to login on DPS).

Regarding the gas safety certificate, I have asked for this a number of times since July, however it has not been provided, even though my tenancy has now started. I am unsure when this needs to be provided, some sources say when the tenancy begins, some when the tenant moves in. In my case the tenancy has started but I am not yet resident at the property, should I have the certificate now or not?

What are my options and what do you think would be the best solution to this would be? Would a for claim compensation for the lack of prescribed information (over 30 days late) and mistakes on certificate be likely to succeed? Assuming I threaten legal action and they supply all these required documents and correct the deposit certificate would they then be able to issue a valid Section 21 order (as I understand currently they would not be able to)?

Thank you for your help!

It doesn't make much difference to your options, but unless you actually take possession or you executed the tenancy agreement as a deed, I'm not sure the tenancy have actually started mind.

Yes, if the prescribed information was late or details on it incorrect, you can sue and will win if you follows the legal process correctly. Realistically, you're probably looking at a minimum penalty here of 1x deposit amount.

The GSC needs to be provided by the landlord before you move in. Practically, if they shove it in your hands while you're moving in will probably be okay.

From the deposit point of view, exact options to the landlord would depends on whether just the PI being late, or whether the deposit protection itself was late. Though if we're talking about after fixed term finishs and SPT having started, probably be fine based on it having been fixed since.

GSC not served at all before moving in, especially if one isn't in date (?), is potentially a bigger issue for the landlord.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Is this a joint tenancy? (i.e. does each occupant have their own tenancy agreement just for a named room, or not?).

Are you planning to move in (ie. start the tenancy)?
      When was the deposit actually paid?

If you want this to be a successful tenancy you would be better off keeping these issues in your back pocket as blackmail in case stuff goes wrong, not having a fight from the outset.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
        Is this a joint tenancy? (i.e. does each occupant have their own tenancy agreement just for a named room, or not?).

Are you planning to move in (ie. start the tenancy)?
        When was the deposit actually paid?

If you want this to be a successful tenancy you would be better off keeping these issues in your back pocket as blackmail in case stuff goes wrong, not having a fight from the outset.
        Thanks for your help!

Yes, this is a joint tenancy.
        I will be moving in soon. The tenancy start date was a few days ago. The deposit was paid in July.

Ok that's probably what I will do. Would it still be possible to claim compensation for the lack of prescribed information etc at the end of the tenancy (approx 12 months)?

Comment

6 years from when deposit was paid + 30 days.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

If any of the joint tenants have moved in, the tenancy began then.

In an HMO the GSC can be displayed in the property, you don't have to be given your own copy (there's only one tenant copy for the shared property).
            In practice, the GSC is often in a drawer or cupboard or on a shelf near the boiler because the tenants put it there.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              In an HMO the GSC can be displayed in the property
              I would suggest that special case doesn't apply to most HMOs. If you're renting a room exclusively while sharing the living room say where the relevant appliance is at, you're still occupying a room with a relevant appliance.

Worth considering is whether the place have any relevant appliance at all. Could be everything's electric so don't need GSC at all.

Comment

And the reason for wanting compensation is...?
                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                  by Shorif908
                  Hi guys,

Thanks for that I have copied the below excerpts from the agreement.

Please do let me know your thoughts.

£550.00 per calendar month which is payable monthly in advance
                  The tenants, X,Y,Z have agreed to pay 3 months rent in advance, totalling to=...
                  27-10-2021, 19:08 PM
                • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                  by Shorif908
                  Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                  the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                  26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                • Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                  by Herbert
                  Thank you. This is a photo of the meter.
                  27-10-2021, 18:58 PM
                • Pay as you go electricity meter
                  by Herbert
                  My daughter has just moved into a rental property and finds that the electricity is on a prepayment meter.
                  She wants to switch to a monthly contract but has been told she has to wait 3 weeks.
                  Should the letting agent have told her the electricity was on this type of meter before she moved...
                  27-10-2021, 16:41 PM
                • Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                  by Neelix
                  Just because a property has a satisfactory EICR, that just means on the day of the test it was OK. Just like a car MOT

She should have a copy of the EICR

If she is getting shocks off switches - that could be trouble - so yes it needs reporting and investigating

27-10-2021, 18:56 PM
                • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                  by KTC
                  A tenancy is either a fixed term or it's periodic. This is not a fixed term tenancy. It must thus be a periodic tenancy, merely one where the first period is 12 months long with subsequent period one monthly. There's nothing stopping a tenant from giving notice on day 1 of such a tenancy.
                  27-10-2021, 18:45 PM
                • What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                  by bananas
                  My son is a student in London and is about to rent a flat with a couple of friends on a one year, then rolling tenancy with two month's notice. It is not a student flat as such, but the landlord has accepted them on a joint tenancy, and the tenancy agreement refers to the tenant in the singular, as...
                  27-10-2021, 16:40 PM
                • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                  by KTC
                  "The Tenant may...." gives an option that does not limit any other unspecified options that would otherwise be valid.

"The Tenant" here is referring to all the tenants jointly, so all 3 must agree to give such a notice.

"the...
                  27-10-2021, 18:41 PM
                • Reply to Increasing rent
                  by jpkeates
                  I've only been involved at a possession hearing on the "other" side (it was my parents in law before anyone accuses me of landlord bashing!).

The maximum that a judge can give to vacate is 42 days (instead of the standard 14).
                  They can award costs the other way, but they...
                  27-10-2021, 18:37 PM
                • Increasing rent
                  by Berlingogirl
                  Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                  My tenancy agreement says
                  “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                  Is there a specific form I should use?...
                  26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                Working...
                X