Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul V
    replied
    Thank you for all the replies and information.
    the Scottish system does seem a good idea :-)

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    In a sensible country anyone would be able to look up decisions taken on disputes between tenants, landlords, agents etc etc... For free..

As in Scotland, now...
    https://www.housingandpropertychambe...unal-decisions

So a landlord/agent can check up on prospective tenant's history, likewise tenant can check on agent and/or landlord.

Come on England, catch up!

(Yes of course there are aspects of landlord/tenant law where England is preferable to Scotland..)

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    TBH from my reading on this forum there seems to be a subset of landlords who will reach for a S21 given the slightest reason.
    (And as said it's been quite common for some to issue one for no reason but as 'a precaution').

"I caught my tenant picking his nose -disgusting so I sent him a S21", maybe farfetched yes, but not by much from some posts I've read.

"I don't like the smell of the food my tenant cooks/eats - so I sent him a S21", much less farfetched, you could probably find one similar here with a search.

'Precautionary', just-in-case, S21s still happen: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...1-just-in-case

It's one reason why S21s are on their way out.
    Too many landlords have been using them for reasons that are not what they were intended for, thus messing things up for everyone else who did use them properly as intended.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul V View Post
    Can we explicitly ask a previous Landlord if a tenant just agreed to leave or whether the Landlord has to use a section 21?
    There's nothing stopping you asking.

There's a common feeling amongst legal housing people that many (or even most) section 21s are escalated to courts to move on tenants who can't afford rapidly increasing rents - there's a correlation between areas where s21 notices go to court and areas of rapidly increasing rents.
    Central London boroughs and hot spots like Bristol and Cambridge.
    Some areas have no s21 related hearings in a quarter at all.

If that theory is correct, the current changes in property price trends, with central London being one area where rents aren't increasing as fast as they did previously while other, traditionally less popular areas are seeing increased demand and, consequently, more rapidly increasing rents should be reflected in changes in the pattern of possession hearings.

I think it's quite risky to assume that there's anything negative about a tenant who's received a section 21 notice from a landlord.
    Or that a lack of a s21 notice is, in any way, a positive.
    Most tenancies are ended by the tenant.

Leave a comment:

• Paul V
    replied
    Thank you for your replies.
    Yes we always vet - stringently, and just wanted to add this check to that process.
    We have been renting out properties for near 40 years and have never had to serve a section 21.
    We have just asked the tenant to vacate and both agreed an amicable date, either as stipulated in the contract or even a few months longer.

It seems to me that section 21s are only served when the Landlord and Tenant cant agree a date, which then forces the Landlord to go "Legal" with the added expense, court processes, stress etc.

I appreciate some tenants my be no fault - but it would be it would be nice to know so we could ask them about it.

Can we explicitly ask a previous Landlord if a tenant just agreed to leave or whether the Landlord has to use a section 21?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Section 21 notices aren't that good an indicator of what a tenant has been like in the past.
    There's a lot of concern about taking on decent tenants, which is sensible because it keeps landlords on their toes.
    But poor outcomes aren't that common - no one knows how many section 21 notices are actually served, but remarkably few get escalated to court.

And about half of all section 21 notices that come to court are usually served in three or four London boroughs.

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    I would suggest, you vet T's prior to viewing, if they say their were living on a friends couch for the last 1-3 years, move on in my opinion especially if they are employed. Some T's avoid getting referencing from previous LL's especially if they have had a bad relationship, so they try to hid it by saying they lived on couch's.

If they have been evicted, then owed rent this would show up on a CCJ check. I would suggest you offer T's 6 month initial contract. Unlike unemployment, where if a employee lies during an interview and gets the job, if they then fail to do the work, the employer can dismiss them during the probation period.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    As it becomes harder to evict tenants, we are keen to ensure we get good honourable tenants.
    How can we tell if a tenant has been served a section 21 before.
    As S21 is a 'No Fault' eviction process then what would that tell you anyway?

Simply that they are "good honourable tenants" who have previously had to move out of a rental through no fault of their own?
    (Because their previous LL wanted to sell up and leave the PRS?)

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Hi
    Most people who rented a place in England before 2015 when many landlords used to attach a section 21 notice alongside with the tenancy agreement when tenant first move in?

Landlords server s21 for all kind of reasons, I don't know what you think whether tenants have ever received one would tell you?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    You can't be sure. You check with their current and previous landlords and you undertake referencing which checks for CCJs. Neither of these methods is foolproof so I'm afraid you end up making judgements about the applicant based on what and how they present to you.

Leave a comment:

• Paul V
    started a topic How to see if a tenant has had a section 21 before

How to see if a tenant has had a section 21 before

Hi
    As it becomes harder to evict tenants, we are keen to ensure we get good honourable tenants.
    Thanks Paul

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
    by Canning18
    Thank you for all of the responses!

Insulation is definitely the biggest issue by far by the looks of it. I’ve picked up 20m of gap seal and an under door draught excluder for now. Some electric heaters to follow (and keeping bills). Unfortunately, moving is not really an option as the...
    27-11-2021, 11:22 AM
  • Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
    by Canning18
    Hi folks,

I’ve been renting a flat through a housing association for a few years now but find my flat to be insanely freezing during the winter (it never bothered me too much before Covid as I was away with work a lot). Last year was the first year I was around all winter and I’ve ended...
    26-11-2021, 10:44 AM
  • Reply to Agency has over-charged rent and is no longer responding
    by patrin01
    It is basically a direct debit from my account, to make matters worse we haven't been charged for gas/electric in 3 months which is a separate issue. I'll get a letter written up and get it posted, thanks.
    27-11-2021, 11:18 AM
  • Agency has over-charged rent and is no longer responding
    by patrin01
    Hi,

Myself and a flatmate seem to be having another issue with our agency who are acting on behalf of the landlord.

Our monthly rent and bills are taken in the form of an online payment each month. Last month we noticed that we were recharged for bills that had been paid the...
    26-11-2021, 16:56 PM
  • Reply to Curtain poles in windows
    by Hudson01
    Agree, i put wooden batons above each window but no poles, it is only a matter of a tenant putting wood screws in the baton if they want a pole, most do not as i supply blinds, but allowing a tenant a drill and drill bits scares the hell out of me.
    27-11-2021, 11:06 AM
  • Curtain poles in windows
    by Kate foster
    Hi all. Wonder if you can advise. I gave a fully unfurnished property to a tenant and they were aware of it. Now they have moved in, they have asked if I can get all poles bought and fitted in the rooms for curtains. It will be added cost for me to buy 6 poles and fitting cost ect. What is best way...
    27-11-2021, 07:15 AM
  • Reply to Economy 7 and a smart meter
    by NaomiB
    Please I am in no way making excuses not to repair the immersion!

I have written to her today saying this and hope it might help other tenants.

"What I have learned is that there are two consumer units in the cupboard. One is for the heaters and the water heater and...
    27-11-2021, 11:04 AM
  • Economy 7 and a smart meter
    by NaomiB
    I bought my tenant three new night storage heaters at the beginning of last year to replace the old ones.

I have just taken back management of this flat and a couple of weeks ago she emailed me about them. I told her that this particular meter had the economy 7 coming on at 8am in the...
    23-11-2021, 21:24 PM
    by JK0
    Even if the hot water in the tank isn't used, the heat will not be wasted, at least during the heating season. It will supplement the space heating so that won't have to work so hard, or be used on peak rate.
    27-11-2021, 11:03 AM
    by Hudson01
    She appears to have no clue, the electric shower heats up the cold water as it needs it..... same with the dishwasher, they are not fed by the hot water in the tank, so it appears the only reason she needs a copper tank with 200 Ltrs of hot water is to run the tap to wash her hands, and maybe rinse...
    27-11-2021, 10:57 AM
Working...
X