Tenant disabled mid tenancy

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant disabled mid tenancy

    My situation as a landlord

    3 student HMO fixed for 2 yrs, 1 person wanted to leave contract mid term after 1 year, I told the tenants find a replacement and we do a new contract if the replacement passes reference checks

    Replacement found, references all good about to sign new tenancy but just got reported that tenant 2 wanting to stay is facing disability as per doctors note.

    Now my house is not equipped for disabled friendly.

    What are my options

    1) can I still go ahead with the new tenancy to be signed knowing one of them might be disabled?

    2) Where do I stand if I were to continue the existing tenancy and not take the new tenant on new contract instead allow the 4th new person to swap the tenancy with the outgoing person..I have seen NRLA template to deal with this.

    3) take a reduced rent with only 2 students and continue with existing tenancy. But not sure if this means I have to provision for disabled person. And I don't think in the short time changes to the property can be done.

    Any other options you could think of?
    What is the best thing to do under this circumstances?

    What sort of disability?

    Freedom at the point of zero............


      Injury in spine reported. Not able to walk currently. But what happens in future is unknown as this happened recently. The tenant might need to live with this condition forever and take painkillers..the situation is bit uncertain at the moment


        I took up a new tenancy in July 2010, 3 person HMO, and had to give up work as disabled in Dec 2011 (neurological condition).

        Stayed as a tenant in the same place until 3 months ago when I applied for and secured a social housing flat.

        You don't have to make any special adaptations for a disabled tenant.
        If they are needed then you may be asked to agree to allow them, but it's not your expense to fit any.
        It may (read will) will be your expense if you want to remove them if/when no longer needed.

        So although I don't know your tenants prognosis I wouldn't worry too much about it - as long as the rent is below or not too much above LHA rate.
        Obviously the tenant will not be working and will be claiming benefit, so in a HMO their UC Housing Element will be set at 1 bedroom LHA rate for the area.


          Do I need to put any clause for disability on the AST which won't will stop the tenant to force the landlord to make structural changes to allow the disabled person to live in the property or anything similar?


            It would be an unenforceable clause and potentially a breach of the Disability Discrimination Act.


              You can't contract out of compliance with the Equalities Act.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

              I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.


                Originally posted by zrux View Post
                Do I need to put any clause for disability on the AST which won't will stop the tenant to force the landlord to make structural changes to allow the disabled person to live in the property or anything similar?
                As said above a landlord cannot be "forced" to make any changes or adaptations for disability - so it's a non-question.

                Where do urban myths like this get started?

                Under the Equality Act 2010 you are required to make 'Reasonable Adjustmants' if asked by a disabled tenant - that's reasonable adjustments, not major alterations.

                From Mencap:
                Under s20 EA 2010, a landlord may be required to make changes to any policies or practices they have which disadvantage a tenant because of their disability. This includes changing a term of a tenancy agreement. For example, a term saying pets are not allowed in the property could be changed to allow a disabled person to have an assistance dog.

                Where a tenant requires ‘auxiliary aids and services’ to rent or live in the property, these may have to be provided. An example may be supplying a tenant with a copy of their tenancy agreement in a format that is more suited to their needs, such as easy read or braille.

                However, landlords will not usually have an obligation to make structural changes which would substantially and permanently alter the property. For example, there is no obligation to remove walls, widen doorways or install permanent ramps, or to carry out any change that would alter the physical features of the property.
                From Scope: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-...ing-your-home/

                Go further than that and look at the actual legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/schedule/4
                Schedule 4, paragraph 2(8) of the Equality Act 2010 clearly states: ('A' being the landlord or he controller of let premises)
                8) It is never reasonable for A to have to take a step which would involve the removal or alteration of a physical feature.


                Latest Activity


                • Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                  by 45002
                  Thanks for the picture, that does look like one of the earlier SMETS 1 meter, one of the problems with them

                  Which some has to come out too and change back to a normal meter and not remotely.

                  How does your daughter actually top that meter up with credit, using a App, online...
                  27-10-2021, 19:24 PM
                • Pay as you go electricity meter
                  by Herbert
                  My daughter has just moved into a rental property and finds that the electricity is on a prepayment meter.
                  She wants to switch to a monthly contract but has been told she has to wait 3 weeks.
                  Should the letting agent have told her the electricity was on this type of meter before she moved...
                  27-10-2021, 16:41 PM
                • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                  by Shorif908
                  Hi guys,

                  Thanks for that I have copied the below excerpts from the agreement.

                  Please do let me know your thoughts.

                  £550.00 per calendar month which is payable monthly in advance
                  The tenants, X,Y,Z have agreed to pay 3 months rent in advance, totalling to=...
                  27-10-2021, 19:08 PM
                • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                  by Shorif908
                  Hi All,

                  I have recently had new tenants move in.
                  the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

                  The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                  26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                • Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                  by Herbert
                  Thank you. This is a photo of the meter.
                  27-10-2021, 18:58 PM
                • Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                  by Neelix
                  Just because a property has a satisfactory EICR, that just means on the day of the test it was OK. Just like a car MOT

                  She should have a copy of the EICR

                  If she is getting shocks off switches - that could be trouble - so yes it needs reporting and investigating

                  27-10-2021, 18:56 PM
                • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                  by KTC
                  A tenancy is either a fixed term or it's periodic. This is not a fixed term tenancy. It must thus be a periodic tenancy, merely one where the first period is 12 months long with subsequent period one monthly. There's nothing stopping a tenant from giving notice on day 1 of such a tenancy.
                  27-10-2021, 18:45 PM
                • What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                  by bananas
                  My son is a student in London and is about to rent a flat with a couple of friends on a one year, then rolling tenancy with two month's notice. It is not a student flat as such, but the landlord has accepted them on a joint tenancy, and the tenancy agreement refers to the tenant in the singular, as...
                  27-10-2021, 16:40 PM
                • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                  by KTC
                  "The Tenant may...." gives an option that does not limit any other unspecified options that would otherwise be valid.

                  "The Tenant" here is referring to all the tenants jointly, so all 3 must agree to give such a notice.

                  27-10-2021, 18:41 PM
                • Reply to Increasing rent
                  by jpkeates
                  I've only been involved at a possession hearing on the "other" side (it was my parents in law before anyone accuses me of landlord bashing!).

                  The maximum that a judge can give to vacate is 42 days (instead of the standard 14).
                  They can award costs the other way, but they...
                  27-10-2021, 18:37 PM