Notice periods returning to their pre-COVID lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice periods returning to their pre-COVID lengths

I have recently read a motion has been tabled to return notice periods to their pre-COVID lengths of 2 months from October. I issued a notice to vacate to my tenant on 27 August giving them 4 months until 27 Dec.

Can I issue another notice in October should the motion be passed so that I give only 2 months meaning tenant should vacate by beginning of December i.e. can this second notice override the first?

No, the guidance is not to serve notice until October. I'm your case it'd make absolutely no difference, so I'd leave as it is.
    <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

Why would it make no difference? It would make a difference if the first notice was void?

Comment

Yes you can serve a new shorter one on 1 Oct.

(I haven't checked whether it's positive or negative motion secondary legislation, but either way it's not really something that wouldn't pass. It's going to happen unless the government changes their mind.)
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I think it happens pretty much automatically.
          The legislation that allowed the government to make the changes for Covid without votes in parliament must expire at some point, and then almost everything is meant to revert to the pre-pandemic state - so there should be swathes of regulation changes.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Adam78 View Post
            Why would it make no difference? It would make a difference if the first notice was void?
            The original notice wouldn't be voided. If you were to issue it again in October it wouldn't be effective til 27th/28th October (depending on the start date), so would have the same expiry date as the one already served.
            <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

Err what?!?

Where do you get the 2nd notice starting from late October from?
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

The new Regulations have already been 'Made' (passed into law), the Regulations come into force on 30th September 2021.

I had posted about it but the link got broken/moved, luckilly Ted.E.Bear found and posted the new link and a coupl to the legislation itself, see here:
                https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...31#post1169331

Note in particular section 2 of the Explanatory Memorandum, the third link in Ted.E.Bear's post, and the line I have bolded below:

2. Purpose of the instrument

2.1 This instrument extends the ‘relevant period’ in Schedule 29 of the Coronavirus Act
                2020 and suspends the operation of various provisions in Schedule 29. The effect of
                this is that requirements relating to the notice of intention landlords are required to
                give to seek possession of property under various statutory tenancy types revert to the
                pre-Coronavirus Act position but the power for the Government to impose longer
                notice periods as an emergency measure is retained until 25 March 2022.
                This
                instrument also prescribes new versions of Form 3, being the form for giving notice
                seeking possession on one or more of the statutory grounds pursuant to section 8
                Housing Act 1988, and Form 6A, being the form for giving notice requiring
                possession under section 21 Housing Act 1988, and the Part 2 notice of seeking
                termination of a fixed term tenancy and recovery of possession under section 83
                Housing Act 1985.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit dispute
                  by Worried landlady
                  Thank you. Yes we did. ( I worked in a school so am expert blu tac remover!!) The paintwork - emulsion had a slight texture and the blu tac ( green tac) was stuck in the texture and had to be sanded and all repainted....
                  18-10-2021, 15:14 PM
                • Deposit dispute
                  by Worried landlady
                  My tenant is disputing the amount i am charging for
                  clearing the garden of ivy and brambles, she hadn’t touched it for the whole years tenancy
                  Broken kitchen tap- operating handle missing
                  removal of shattaf fitted without permission which had leaked all over floor, under floor and...
                  18-10-2021, 11:29 AM
                  by Worried landlady
                  Ivy comes through from next door. Tenant had left it to grow all over path and steps. Brambles in privacy area with woodland trees. Tenant had allowed them to grow over steps and block path to bins. Contractor charged £84 for cut down and dispose of plus 2 large bins of weeds to tip....
                  18-10-2021, 15:10 PM
                • Section 21 abolition - timetable
                  by Kape65
                  I know that abolishing Section 21 is not yet a done deal but is looking likely. Do we know when the governments white paper is likely to show it's face and how long after that before we will not be able to use Section 21 ( a crystal ball question I know ). I'm hoping to repossess at least one more property...
                  18-10-2021, 14:30 PM
                • Reply to Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                  by jpucng62
                  Whatever the outcome of your personal situation it does highlight why LLs won't take tenants who don't meet their affordability criteria - with or without a guarantor. That is bad news for low income tenants.
                  18-10-2021, 14:22 PM
                • Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                  by gnicholls
                  Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some advice on the following. I'm acting as a guarantor for a friend who has been living in a flat that has turned out to be a bit of a hole. Based on the below I'm looking to understand whether I should just pay the missing rent and have...
                  17-10-2021, 01:02 AM
                  by theartfullodger
                  You've got good evidence with inventory and photos, agreed by tenant, at tenancy start and then similar evidence at end? And photos of eg garden issues you describe?
                  18-10-2021, 14:08 PM
                • Reply to Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                  by Hooper
                  I use guarantees quite a lot and would not have thought that was enforceable. For starters, it is not a deed. It also does ensure that you have been made aware of the significant implications of acting as guarantor. That said, my views on what constitutes a valid guarantee have been somewhat influenced...
                  18-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                • Reply to Money Claim Telephone Hearing
                  by bethy
                  Hi there, sorry to hear you also have this. I feel like mine was a bit of a car crash as none of the paperwork was there so it got a bit 'he said/she said'. But other than that it was pretty fair.

I was asked to outline the situation as I saw it and what had happened to date. Then the defendants...
                  18-10-2021, 13:49 PM
                • Money Claim Telephone Hearing
                  by rapid111111
                  S21 was issued, tenants left, has 9 months rent arrears amounting to over 10k+. The hearing review (which I wasn't called for or required to attend) progressed onto a money claim telephone hearing which is coming up as there was no longer a need for a possession claim. So I guess that means everything...
                  12-10-2021, 09:55 AM
                Working...
                X