Notice period

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Notice period

    My two tenants are on rolling contract, I am planning to get them out and let the place to a family. Now I want to know how many days notice I should give to them. Many thanks

    #2
    usually you need to provide 2 months notice to your T, but you and the T may agree on a mutual date. The T only needs to provide 1 months notice.

    Comment


      #3
      Any particular reason to change the type of tenant?

      Usually it’s best to start off discussing this with the tenants.
      You have to give them 4 month’s notice at the moment, and if they don’t leave take them to court to enforce the notice (many of which turn out not to have been valid).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

      Comment


        #4
        Seems odd you want to remove them to replace them, it would only bring costs to you unless they're non-payers etc, in any event, for a "no fault eviction" (S21) you need 4 months notice, and everything in order at the time notice is served. Check you have all the requirements of a S21 met before serving notice or it will mean you have to start from scratch later...

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by hybrice View Post
          Seems odd you want to remove them to replace them, it would only bring costs to you unless they're non-payers etc, in any event, for a "no fault eviction" (S21) you need 4 months notice, and everything in order at the time notice is served. Check you have all the requirements of a S21 met before serving notice or it will mean you have to start from scratch later...
          They are good tenants and always pay on time but my big room has been empty for long. I am thinking to let whole lot out and I don't need to do each room. 4 months will be too long. I am not they will find sth quickly. I also need to refurbish the place.

          Comment


            #6
            As an experienced landlord you'll appreciate that s21 notice, even if valid (many are not) does not end tenancy nor compel tenant to leave.

            Assuming they are paying rent, whatever business reason is there for evicting otherwise blameless occupants, please?
            I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              Any particular reason to change the type of tenant?

              Usually it’s best to start off discussing this with the tenants.
              You have to give them 4 month’s notice at the moment, and if they don’t leave take them to court to enforce the notice (many of which turn out not to have been valid).
              I know you. My bigger room has been empty from time to time I got fed up so I am thinkg to let the whole to a family or a group of people. It will be easier to me.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Uklondoner View Post
                I know you.
                really?

                So you live in the same property as the people you want to give notice to?

                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  really?

                  So you live in the same property as the people you want to give notice to?
                  No I am not living there. Ok I give you a better reason. The place is too old I need to do refurbishments .

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
                    As an experienced landlord you'll appreciate that s21 notice, even if valid (many are not) does not end tenancy nor compel tenant to leave.

                    Assuming they are paying rent, whatever business reason is there for evicting otherwise blameless occupants, please?
                    Thanks the place is too old to attract new tenant. It needs refurbishment My bigger room has been empty from time to time. I don't want to reduce the rent to take people in. So

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Whatever the reason for wanting to end the current tenancy, server notice or in the first instance communicate with your T's to see if they will leave, it would better if they gave you a notice to quit and you accept it.

                      I'm sure you've done the maths on refurb + empty then lowering rent and getting a HMO style property income.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Uklondoner View Post
                        No I am not living there. Ok I give you a better reason. The place is too old I need to do refurbishments .
                        It's always your choice, I was curious because it's unusual for a landlord planning to continue letting to want to evict OK tenants.

                        But the answer stands, I'd personally talk to them about them leaving and let them do so as they find somewhere else to live.
                        Serving formal notice puts the relationship under stress and gives the tenants a deadline (which won't expire until January, which just adds to uncertainty).

                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          It's always your choice, I was curious because it's unusual for a landlord planning to continue letting to want to evict OK tenants.

                          But the answer stands, I'd personally talk to them about them leaving and let them do so as they find somewhere else to live.
                          Serving formal notice puts the relationship under stress and gives the tenants a deadline (which won't expire until January, which just adds to uncertainty).
                          I understand what you said. I don't want to do that but it looks letting the whole lot is easier than letting three individual rooms. Plus I have to manage the cleaning myself. You are right I don't need to send letter they are sensible people. Any alternative? Should I reduce the rent more to get the bigger room occupied?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Uklondoner View Post
                            I understand what you said. I don't want to do that but it looks letting the whole lot is easier than letting three individual rooms. Plus I have to manage the cleaning myself.
                            It also prevents the property being an HMO with all the rooms let.

                            I only let whole properties to one person or a family, so I can see the appeal.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                              It also prevents the property being an HMO with all the rooms let.

                              I only let whole properties to one person or a family, so I can see the appeal.
                              I got HMO license front the council. So BECAUSE you don't want to pay the money on HMO licence so you always let it to one person (even if he actually got other people under him) or a family. That is a good idea I have to say.

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              • Rent Increase
                                by TREK
                                I am a landlord and have been letting a property out to tenants for £600 PCM for 4 years with no rent increases, i have not had my eye on the ball for 18 months and have just found out that very similar properties in the area are going for £800 PCM. What is the maximum i could raise the rent at the...
                                18-10-2021, 17:22 PM
                              • Reply to Deposit dispute
                                by Worried landlady
                                Thank you. Yes we did. ( I worked in a school so am expert blu tac remover!!) The paintwork - emulsion had a slight texture and the blu tac ( green tac) was stuck in the texture and had to be sanded and all repainted....
                                18-10-2021, 15:14 PM
                              • Deposit dispute
                                by Worried landlady
                                My tenant is disputing the amount i am charging for
                                clearing the garden of ivy and brambles, she hadn’t touched it for the whole years tenancy
                                Broken kitchen tap- operating handle missing
                                removal of shattaf fitted without permission which had leaked all over floor, under floor and...
                                18-10-2021, 11:29 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit dispute
                                by Worried landlady
                                Ivy comes through from next door. Tenant had left it to grow all over path and steps. Brambles in privacy area with woodland trees. Tenant had allowed them to grow over steps and block path to bins. Contractor charged £84 for cut down and dispose of plus 2 large bins of weeds to tip....
                                18-10-2021, 15:10 PM
                              • Section 21 abolition - timetable
                                by Kape65
                                I know that abolishing Section 21 is not yet a done deal but is looking likely. Do we know when the governments white paper is likely to show it's face and how long after that before we will not be able to use Section 21 ( a crystal ball question I know ). I'm hoping to repossess at least one more property...
                                18-10-2021, 14:30 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                                by jpucng62
                                Whatever the outcome of your personal situation it does highlight why LLs won't take tenants who don't meet their affordability criteria - with or without a guarantor. That is bad news for low income tenants.
                                18-10-2021, 14:22 PM
                              • Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                                by gnicholls
                                Hi everyone,

                                I'm hoping someone can provide me with some advice on the following. I'm acting as a guarantor for a friend who has been living in a flat that has turned out to be a bit of a hole. Based on the below I'm looking to understand whether I should just pay the missing rent and have...
                                17-10-2021, 01:02 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit dispute
                                by theartfullodger
                                You've got good evidence with inventory and photos, agreed by tenant, at tenancy start and then similar evidence at end? And photos of eg garden issues you describe?
                                18-10-2021, 14:08 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                                by Hooper
                                I use guarantees quite a lot and would not have thought that was enforceable. For starters, it is not a deed. It also does ensure that you have been made aware of the significant implications of acting as guarantor. That said, my views on what constitutes a valid guarantee have been somewhat influenced...
                                18-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                              • Reply to Money Claim Telephone Hearing
                                by bethy
                                Hi there, sorry to hear you also have this. I feel like mine was a bit of a car crash as none of the paperwork was there so it got a bit 'he said/she said'. But other than that it was pretty fair.

                                I was asked to outline the situation as I saw it and what had happened to date. Then the defendants...
                                18-10-2021, 13:49 PM
                              Working...
                              X