Couple plus a sibling. HMO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple plus a sibling. HMO?

Is a couple plus a sibling related to one of the couple all living together in a two bedroom property considered to be living as one or two households?
    Assume I know nothing.

Relatives are all one household.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

So what if the single sibling moved in a partner? Four sharers, not an HMO?
      (3)For the purposes of subsection (2)(a) a person is a member of the same family as another person if—

(a)those persons are married to [F1, or civil partners of, each other or live together as if they were a married couple or civil partners];

(b)one of them is a relative of the other; or

(c)one of them is, or is a relative of, one member of a couple and the other is a relative of the other member of the couple.

I am struggling to understand (c)!
      Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Nobody ever seems to understand (c)!

Roughly, it means that in-laws are allowed! (If you have a couple, then anyone who is related to either of them is fine)

A second couple does, I think, create an HMO - as there are two people who are not connected (the partners of the two relatives). Some quite knowledgeable people seem to think that any 'chain' of partners / relatives is ok, but I don't know why they think that.

Comment

(5)Regulations under subsection (2)(b) may, in particular, secure that a group of persons are to be regarded as forming a single household only where (as the regulations may require) each member of the group has a prescribed relationship, or at least one of a number of prescribed relationships, to any one or more of the others.

Does this mean that as long as there is a chain of connections such as A is related to B, B is related to C and C is related to D then even if there are no other connections between parties it is one family?
          Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
            Nobody ever seems to understand (c)!

Roughly, it means that in-laws are allowed! (If you have a couple, then anyone who is related to either of them is fine)

A second couple does, I think, create an HMO - as there are two people who are not connected (the partners of the two relatives). Some quite knowledgeable people seem to think that any 'chain' of partners / relatives is ok, but I don't know why they think that.
            Cheers - I cross posted with you! I think they may be right about chains .
            Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post
              (5)Regulations under subsection (2)(b) may, in particular, secure that a group of persons are to be regarded as forming a single household only where (as the regulations may require) each member of the group has a prescribed relationship, or at least one of a number of prescribed relationships, to any one or more of the others.

Does this mean that as long as there is a chain of connections such as A is related to B, B is related to C and C is related to D then even if there are no other connections between parties it is one family?
              That means that the national authorites can create regulations which allow that, but I don't believe any have (I couldn't find any - the national regulations in force do allow for things like au pairs and servants).

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post

Cheers - I cross posted with you! I think they may be right about chains .
                The government guidance also suggests that chains are ok - but, again, I can find nothing in the actual legislation which supports that view. If such chains were allowed, then I think 3(c) would be entrely redundant.
                (in practice, nobody will care anyway).

Comment

Are there any rules related to a single parent living with 4 children (2 boys, 2 girls) - all children probably teenagers- in a 2-bed flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post

(in practice, nobody will care anyway).
                    Until councils realise there is a good income stream from fines. Or insurance companies can claim you are in breach of policy conditions.

Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by vmart View Post
                      Are there any rules related to a single parent living with 4 children (2 boys, 2 girls) - all children probably teenagers- in a 2-bed flat.
                      Rules related to overcrowding. Will depends on the size of the rooms.
                      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                          by 45002
                          Thanks for the picture, that does look like one of the earlier SMETS 1 meter, one of the problems with them

Which some has to come out too and change back to a normal meter and not remotely.

How does your daughter actually top that meter up with credit, using a App, online...
                          27-10-2021, 19:24 PM
                        • Pay as you go electricity meter
                          by Herbert
                          My daughter has just moved into a rental property and finds that the electricity is on a prepayment meter.
                          She wants to switch to a monthly contract but has been told she has to wait 3 weeks.
                          Should the letting agent have told her the electricity was on this type of meter before she moved...
                          27-10-2021, 16:41 PM
                        • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                          by Shorif908
                          Hi guys,

Thanks for that I have copied the below excerpts from the agreement.

Please do let me know your thoughts.

£550.00 per calendar month which is payable monthly in advance
                          The tenants, X,Y,Z have agreed to pay 3 months rent in advance, totalling to=...
                          27-10-2021, 19:08 PM
                        • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                          by Shorif908
                          Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                          the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                          26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                          by Herbert
                          Thank you. This is a photo of the meter.
                          27-10-2021, 18:58 PM
                          by Neelix
                          Just because a property has a satisfactory EICR, that just means on the day of the test it was OK. Just like a car MOT

She should have a copy of the EICR

If she is getting shocks off switches - that could be trouble - so yes it needs reporting and investigating

27-10-2021, 18:56 PM
                        • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                          by KTC
                          A tenancy is either a fixed term or it's periodic. This is not a fixed term tenancy. It must thus be a periodic tenancy, merely one where the first period is 12 months long with subsequent period one monthly. There's nothing stopping a tenant from giving notice on day 1 of such a tenancy.
                          27-10-2021, 18:45 PM
                        • What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                          by bananas
                          My son is a student in London and is about to rent a flat with a couple of friends on a one year, then rolling tenancy with two month's notice. It is not a student flat as such, but the landlord has accepted them on a joint tenancy, and the tenancy agreement refers to the tenant in the singular, as...
                          27-10-2021, 16:40 PM
                        • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                          by KTC
                          "The Tenant may...." gives an option that does not limit any other unspecified options that would otherwise be valid.

"The Tenant" here is referring to all the tenants jointly, so all 3 must agree to give such a notice.

"the...
                          27-10-2021, 18:41 PM
                        • Reply to Increasing rent
                          by jpkeates
                          I've only been involved at a possession hearing on the "other" side (it was my parents in law before anyone accuses me of landlord bashing!).

The maximum that a judge can give to vacate is 42 days (instead of the standard 14).
                          They can award costs the other way, but they...
                          27-10-2021, 18:37 PM
                        Working...
                        X