My buy to let property is being used as a cannabis growing factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey OP, my house was turned into a cannabis farm, and this was using a very large popular high street agent. They are so far not admitting liability, nor do I think that they will. They also neglected to inspect saying it was due to covid restrictions (although I suspect if they had persisted in trying to inspect the criminals would've just stopped them anyway). I have to keep them onside for now as I need help in getting repairs and things done to the house as I live really far away. Afterwards I'm not sure what I'll do perhaps register a complaint with TPOS or small claims, not sure if it will help or just add to my costs.

Comment

It's entirely within a tenant's rights to decline to allow anyone to enter a property to inspect it.
      It's entirely within a landlord's rights to go to court to compel them to (as a landlord has a right to inspect which matches the tenant's right so say no).

My own agent did no inspections during the worst parts of the pandemic, and I can see that that was reasonable and sensible.
      The guidance for letting agents entering a property during the lockdown's meant that the tenants had to vacate during the visit, which is a lot to ask,
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I really hope that my insurance company agrees with you.

Comment

If your insurance requires frequent inspections, I'd change the supplier.

I do inspections early in the tenancy, then at the 12 month point and then decide how frequently they're going to be needed.
          The kind of tenants I'm looking for want a decent home, and that doesn't need people coming and checking on it very often.

If the inspections are a condition of rent insurance, you need to agree them with the agent, and then check that they're doing them.
          Even if their policy changes due to a plague, they should have told you and allowed you to take other actions, like inspecting the place yourself.

You have to be realistic about letting agents, the commission they get on rent is never going to make most landlords a valued customer.
          Most of them are really estate agents, and they get very little repeat business, but selling a house is a large amount of income, while letting is low income over a longer period.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi đź‘‹ All,

Please I am at the critical stage of Renting and any suggestions on where to find good tenants Gumtree are ver poor, Openrent good but not much response

The estate agents keep parading people through my property and no luck, I have reduced the rent again and again as advised

Please any suggestions on others Avenues to source good tenants

I have spent so much money and really need to rent to recuperate some of my looses but still want to keep the balance of getting a good reliable tenant

Thanks in advance

Comment

There's a reason that no one is interested.
              Demand for rental property in most areas is very high.

Have you asked the letting agents what the problem is?

Comment

Rent insurance does not cover against void periods. It is up to thelandlord to balance losses of non payment against losses from voidperiods. I do not use rent insurance as sometimes its better to let to a tenant on benefit and risk non payment.

Comment

jpkeates,

Everything you are saying makes sense, and I wish I had, had read this before it happened to me. I never even dreamed this could happen, but we are where we are. Anyone reading this should definitely heed your advice, best of luck to OP and everyone in a similar situation out there.

Comment

darkdev I've never had this happen to me, but I've had many many things happen that I never expected or imagined could possibly happen.
                    I share your pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Blanks7025 View Post
                      makes me feel that the police need to do more to support landlords
                      Just to put an alternative view to this, you could take the view that LL's need to do more with better vetting and inspections to save the Police from having to go and clear the bloody things, it can take a considerable amount of manpower to clear out a building (which then results in less officers to respond to grade 1 calls), it also costs the taxpayer a fortune into the bargain, so i would say that a private LL should do all they can to save money from the public purse and inspect properly on a regular basis, and take no excuses.

Comment

As jpkeates says, you need to ask for feedback. There has to be something you're missing or have ignored that tenants don't like about your property and you need to find out what it is asap.

Comment

All these mentioned of periodic inspections struck me as very sensible. Certainly one tool in the landlord's arsenal for ensuring that nothing illegal or untoward is going on, and it got me wondering. I've just been through my tenancy and my landlord insurance docs and inspections (while occupied) are not mentioned at all. (My insurer is Zurich, by the way.)

I thought inspections were a routine part of property management when you have an agent, but clearly not.

>>Are there any landlords who have made inspections (while occupied) a condition of the tenancy? Is this even possible?

I've always wanted my tenants to feel free to live without the ever looming prospect of inspections hanging over them, but it would provide peace of mind to visit the premises every quarter, for example, to ensure no illegal activity. A necessary evil if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Godffrey View Post
                            I've always wanted my tenants to feel free to live without the ever looming prospect of inspections hanging over them,
                            It doesn't have to be an official matter with clipboards and lists.

Just say that you are going round for 'a regular visit to check that everything is working as it should and nothing needs replacing'.

Run the taps, click the light switches, test the smoke alarms, keep you eyes open.

That should be enough to spot anything of concern.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                              Run the taps, click the light switches, test the smoke alarms, keep you eyes open.
                              Check the gutters, drains, fences, that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Godffrey View Post
                                >>Are there any landlords who have made inspections (while occupied) a condition of the tenancy? Is this even possible?
                                I used to drive by each of my properties at least once a week. It's quite surprising what you can see - curtains closed in middle of day, bins still outside days after collection etc. The neighbours will be aware of what's going on so it is always good to make sure they have your contact details.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X