Is there a time limit in taking landlords to court?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a time limit in taking landlords to court?

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me? I rented a property last summer (July-September 2008). It was a terrible experience and we managed to convince the landlord to let us move out early. However he still hasn't given us our deposit back and has no intention of doing so. He didn't put it in a deposit scheme (even though he was legally obliged to) but is it too late to take him to court? The reason I haven't done so earlier is that my flatmate was suppossed to be sorting it but he never did.
    Any advice or experience on this matter would be great thanks as I've reached the point where I'm thinking I'll just let it pass!

Too vague. Please state:
    a. whether it was residential property or otherwise;
    b. [if residential] whether it was an AST, a holiday let, or otherwise; and
    c. on what grounds L is refusing to repay deposit.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by 020faye View Post
      Hello,
      I was wondering if anyone could help me? I rented a property last summer (July-September 2008)
      Do you mean July-September 2007?

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
        Do you mean July-September 2007?
        Unless 020faye is Dr Who's latest incarnation?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hello - sorry for my vagueness!
          It was last summer - 2007.
          It was the usual 6 month AST agreement in a residential property.
          He refused to pay the deposit until we paid all our utility bills - which we have.
          He now avoids all phone calls.
          We originally got the property through Black Katz letting agency and paid the the deposit to them (we have receipts). When we contacted them they referred us on to the landlord saying he was now managing the flat and it no longer had anything to do with them.
          For the 3 months we rented the flat it was uninhabitable due to severe damp (we had an Islington Council inspector come out and order the landlord to undertake repairs). It was only when we got the council report that the landlord finally agreed to let us terminate our lease early as I think he realised how serious the problem was. However, I also think this is the reason he's witholding our deposit as the repair work he was forced to undertake must have left him out of pocket!
          Thanks for any advice!

Comment

2008!!!! Sorry I just noticed!!
            I like to keep ahead of the game!!

Comment

Everything I've read up on the deposit sheme says I can claim 3 times the deposit back but I don't know if I've left it too late. I can't seem to find anything on the court website. any advice or experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X