Tenant departing wants to leave her goods at let property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant departing wants to leave her goods at let property

My tennant is due to leave my property on the 31st of may , she has given me 1 months writen notice which I accepted with glee ( see thread .. can i sue? ) as it has saved me having to serve a section 21 on her.
    I now have a problem, I have receved a tip off that she plans to move in with her cousin but has no were to take her belongins and that she plans on leaving them in the property.
    this is going to render the property un-letable untill she moves her belongings.
    My understanding of the law is this , As from the 1st of june she has no legal right to enter the property ( whitch is going to be difficult because im giong to change the locks) with out my permission.
    My question is this, can i refuse to hand over her possions untill she has compensated me for loss of rent and also if she refuse to collect them how long do I have before they become legally mine so I can sell them off to recoupe loss of revenue.
    When I talk about posseions I mean the full monty . TV, dvd player,computers,white goods, furniture , clothes, personal posseions the lot
    your opionions would be most gratefull
    VERGIL01

Do not change the locks with her stuff in there... she will accuse you of illegal eviction and she can sue you for an awful lot of money.

If she fails to leave there is little you can do except issue a section 21.

I don't understand why you think she has no legal right of entry after 1st June, while she has keys and her property is still in there you can do nothing. Just advise her that anything left behind will mean she is still in residence and as such you will continue to charge rent. That should scare her into sorting it out!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

and charge her double rent as per the discussion thread on here recently from the date her notice of quitting expires!

See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...t=11344&page=2 and post by Jeffrey

Comment

It gets harder to distinguish trolls from ignorant landlords, doesn't it? A community forum where I am a moderator is sadly chock-full of members posting fake dilemmas under fake IDs so they can enjoy wasting the time and energy of people who give their advice for free.

Nonetheless, here is a sample move out letter you can use to remind her what you expect with regards to the move out procedure.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/move_out_letter.htm

Should the tenant not move out on that date, you have no right to enter the property without her permission and may not change the lock. You probably should have served that S21 as a back-up in case she doesn't honour her notice period.

Here is a fact sheet about uncollected goods

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/uncollected_goods.htm

The danger is that leaving her belongings in the property may not indicate that she has left the property, nor that you've gained possession of it.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/legal/abandonment.htm
        Last edited by Beeber; 25-05-2008, 10:54 AM. Reason: to moan a bit more

Comment

Hi everyone thanks for your reply`s especially beeber who seems to think i am an ignorant landord because im quite certain im not a troll ( at least i wasnt when i last looked )nor is this a fake dilemma and i am definatley not useing a fake ID, my name happens to be virgil. In futre if you feel i am wasting your time please feel free not to bother replying .
          however I have taken onboard everyones opionions and advice and shall act accordingly
          thanks again
          Vergil 01 ( real name honest )

Comment

Either tenancy is still running (which means that T's goods can remain, but T must still pay rent);
            or tenancy has ended (which means that T's rent liability has ended, but T must give vacant possession back to L).

T cannot have it both ways.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi jeffery, thanks for your reply:
              please correct me if im wrong, If my tennant gives me 1 months notice from the 30th april that she inteneds to terminate her tennacy and move out on the 31st of may, then providing she hands her keys over, from that date onwards am I correct in asumeing that she has no legal rights to enter the property
              that brings me back to my main concern which is
              What if she hands the keys back with her belongings inside?
              Can i change the locks, which I always do when a tennant departs anyway?
              If I serve the former tennant with an uncollected goods notice can I put her goods into storage, then I get on with letting my property ?

Comment

Handing keys back: what does this connote legally? Is T terminating tenancy or not; as L, do you accept termination or not?
                Once you know this, refer to my previous post.
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

HI jeffery
                  yes the tennant is teminating her tennacy, she clearly states in her writen notice that she wishes to terminate her tennacy and yes I am certainly accepting it.
                  so at what point does the tennacy end
                  vergil01

Comment

Originally posted by vergil01 View Post
                    HI jeffery
                    yes the tennant is teminating her tennacy, she clearly states in her writen notice that she wishes to terminate her tennacy and yes I am certainly accepting it.
                    so at what point does the tennacy end
                    vergil01
                    T is leaving on 31 May. Is that:
                    a. fixed term expiry date;
                    b. a rent period expiry date, on a statutory continuation periodic tenancy; or
                    c. something else?

If a or b, T is entitled to end tenancy then. However leaving her stuff behind is inconsistent with ending tenancy, innit?

If c, T might not be entitled to end tenancy then.

Comment

HI Jeffery
                      she is leaving for reason b,
                      does this mean if T leaves her belonging in the property she has not ended the tenancy and therfore i can continue to claim rent from her?
                      vergil01

Comment

Originally posted by vergil01 View Post
                        HI Jeffrey
                        she is leaving for reason b,
                        does this mean if T leaves her belonging in the property she has not ended the tenancy and therfore i can continue to claim rent from her?
                        vergil01
                        Yes, for reasons already given. Either she has rights to leave belongings (and must pay rent); or she ends tenancy (so must vacate fully).

Comment

Thanks Jeffery, you have been very helpfull
                          vegil01

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
                            by royw
                            What does your AST say about it?
                            05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
                          • Dogs
                            by Bridge2020
                            My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
                            05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
                          • Advice on s.8 & s.21
                            by Hetty911
                            Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
                            05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
                          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                            by Hudson01
                            Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
                            05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
                          • Accelerated possession order
                            by Pariah81
                            A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                            05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                            by theartfullodger
                            Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
                            05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
                            by Pariah81
                            Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
                            05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
                          • Reply to Dogs
                            by ash72
                            The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
                            05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
                          • Reply to Dogs
                            by jpkeates
                            I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
                            You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
                            05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
                          • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                            by jpkeates
                            Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
                            You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
                            And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
                            05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
                          Working...
                          X