Tenant Anti Social Behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daveg View Post
    "All you can do is serve notice and move the problem somewhere else." Sadly jpk you are correct.

I am leaning to the opinion, that as others have suggested, I should just serve notice with no reason and when asked give some waffle about financial reasons
    Yeh, none of it really matters once notice is served. I'd simply tell them s21 is a faultless eviction and you need the property back for a relative with special care needs, hard to argue against even if it is a total fib lol Telling him it's because of the police issues is likely to throw fuel on the fire and he might retaliate with damage to the property and withholding of rent. He may still do that with any other reason, but in my experience better to keep things "blameless".

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
      jpkeates, Legally it may not be my problem but as owner of the property I feel I have an obligation to do something.
      I have the misfortune to deal with tenants just like yours as part of my job, i so wish there were more LL's who thought as you, it would make my job (and my colleagues) a lot easier, plus it assists the wider community to simply have a better/quieter life.

Good luck, and as said you can tell a white lie to make your life a little easier.

Comment

Can a section 21 notice be used by a housing association?
        (asking as it is related to the question I posted on a separate thread today.)

Comment

Originally posted by HazeltonLane View Post
          Can a section 21 notice be used by a housing association?
          (asking as it is related to the question I posted on a separate thread today.)
          It depends on the type of tenancy, not the landlord.

Housing Associations traditionally didn't issue Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements, and section 21 notices are only available for that type of tenancy.
          There's nothing specifically to stop them, but and AST carries additional obligations that Housing Associations can avoid if they don't use them.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The kids are the real victims in all this.

from your point of view I would issue Section 21 if you want them out. Don’t get involved it is just a business for you. Social services department really.

Comment

When it comes to anti-social behaviour, I'd say most people would expect it remain within the purview of the local council and/or police, but disreputable councils do try their luck. Redbridge council have made it a condition of the landlord's licence:
              • The licence holder (or landlord) shall take all reasonable and practical steps for preventing and dealing with anti-social behaviour and undertaking a thorough process of reasonable and effective steps to deal with any complaints that have been made directly to them or via Redbridge Council or the Metropolitan Police, regarding their occupiers. For the purpose of these conditions, anti-social behaviour is taken to comprise behaviour by the occupants of the house and/or their visitors, which causes a nuisance or annoyance to other occupants of the house, to lawful visitors to the house or to persons residing in or lawfully visiting the locality of the house.
              Forcing the landlord to agree to take steps if anti-social behaviour is reported to the council or the police is a complete outrage.
              Surely, this sham is unenforceable in the UK courts.

What do they expect landlords to do, issue a citizen's ASBO?

Comment

That's a condition of every licence as far as I know. In fact I think it has to be in every Selective Licensing scheme.

Comment

So aren't 'reasonable steps' to report it back to the council and police?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                    That's a condition of every licence as far as I know. In fact I think it has to be in every Selective Licensing scheme.
                    It wouldn't surprise me if is found in selective licensing schemes run by other councils. One thing experience tells us is that industry practice (and dubious practice) is repeated, until it's challenged. One council and another does it. (It's the copy and paste way of running an organisation.)

Comment

Taking "reasonable and practical steps" isn't that much to ask.
                      You want to look out for "best efforts" or "work closely in co-operation".
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X