Tenants shilly shallying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants shilly shallying

A couple of weeks ago, my friend introduced me to a potential tenant. She liked the flat, agreed the rent, and we agreed she would move in 1st August. I took a week's rent as deposit.

In view of the lady living some distance away, I gave her the key safe combination, as she wanted to get beds delivered. I sent her a draft tenancy agreement, and all the other documents we have to provide.

A few days later, she rang me again asking to renegotiate the rent, but I stood firm. Then last week she asked if her partner could be on the tenancy agreement, which I agreed. Another few days, and she asked if we could make it Monday rather than today. Again I saw no harm in this, and agreed.

Today she rang to arrange a time for tomorrow, and said she had dropped off a suitcase at the flat. I explained that she & her partner would need to come with their passports for me to scan, and to sign the agreement.

'Oh, you can add my partner on Tuesday', she said.

'That's not how it works my dear,' I told her. You can both come on Tuesday, or you can come alone tomorrow.

More shilly shallying, so I hung up and went over to the flat to remove her suitcase, and took it back to my friend, together with the money. The cheeky woman had taken away my keys from the key safe, so I had to change the locks.

She now agrees to come alone tomorrow, but frankly I'm fed up with the palaver.

Any thoughts?

If she wants to move in, then get the money back for the locks being changed. If you referenced both T's and they passed, then I would mark it as teething problems especially if the T hasn't rented previously. I avoid this type of situation by getting the T to sign the tenancy at a pre-agreed date and time, and then after that it is up to them to sort out.

Comment

Oh, I don't know the partner from Adam. I just (foolishly) took my friend's assurance that she is good for the money, and she showed me her passport the other day.

Comment

Always follow your process (if you have any) with any T referencing, even if they are recommended by someone. Most insurance want this conducted to avoid the policy being void.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Oh, I don't know the partner from Adam. I just (foolishly) took my friend's assurance that she is good for the money, and she showed me her passport the other day.
          I think you already know the answer to your question, there are simply too many alarm bells for me, i would pull out and get better prospects and conduct the long standing and sensible checks we all have to do, i am sure you know that if you get a '' wrong un ''...... it will end in tears..... yours.

Comment

Friend = alarm bells
            Family = alarm bells

ANY prospective tenant - however sourced - should be put through exactly the same process as anyone else.

YOU set the process, not the prospective tenant.

You want to know before they move in if they can follow simple instructions in a timely manner - if they cannot then question how that will play out once they have your property and keys.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I expect tenants to be actively wanting the property and even to go out of their way to show they are keen.

Two months ago, I had several people after one of my studio flats - I try to be fair so stated I would (subject to references etc) select the first to view if they wanted the property.

I had the first 2 visitors both want to rent it but stuck to the fairness rule and went with the first - on the Thursday, I sent him the documents to view and sign in order to start referencing and he told me he'd deal with it after the weekend = wrong answer. I moved on to applicant 2 who couldnt believe his luck and had everything done within 4hrs.

Don't let other people dictate how you let your own property - we get enough of that from the Gov and LA as it is.
            My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

I suppose they might just innocently / ignorantly think that because it's a friend of a friend they can be more casual. And your being laid back has possibly affirmed this. Go with your gut but just sounds like you need to politely bring formality back to the situation and make sure they understand that you will be treating it like any other tenancy. Tenants rarely give much thought to the the legal significance of order and formality.
              Assume I know nothing.

Comment

I suspect I'm still on @JKO's ignore list, but I'd bin these "tenants".

Extra points for use of shilly-shallying, though.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  I suspect I'm still on @JKO's ignore list, but I'd bin these "tenants".

Extra points for use of shilly-shallying, though.
                  Agree.

I mean, take yourself out of the situation and read what you wrote back to yourself...

1. A friend recommended (no references or checks I presume?)
                  2. They renegotiate rent before even being in the place
                  3. They aren't up-front about who's staying there
                  4. They seem generally flakey
                  5. They take liberties on the access you provided and start moving themselves in
                  6. They take the keys away

Playing with fire, my friend lol

Comment

Very well said ' hybrice'.

Comment

I took over a rented Commercial property, with an existing tenant, I rented it to her for two years, then I sold it, the existing tenant was accepted by the new owner. I now understand that the tenant is behind with the rent, and owes a fortune for metered water, and I have now been informed that the tenant is an undischarged bankrupt and uses another name. Just shows I should have done a credit check as should the new owner of the property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Electrical certificate requirements for existing T
                        by msg2004
                        Hey
                        I had the 3 bedroom property fully rewired about 8 years ago.
                        The existing T's moved in over 2 years ago and I gave them a new 12 month AST at the end of their first 12 months
                        The letting agent is say we need an electrical certificate.
                        The rental is in Sladgreen/London...
                        23-09-2021, 17:30 PM
                      • Reply to Boundary fence
                        by DPT57
                        Once you're certain that your deeds are correct on the matter and not in conflict with his deeds, you can send him a letter demanding that he remove his fence and reinstate yours or one substantially similar. If he doesn't comply, you would send a Letter Before Action and ultimately sue him for the...
                        23-09-2021, 16:44 PM
                      • Boundary fence
                        by Ollyn
                        Hello,

On my Deeds, it shows which fence is my responsibility, and I have always maintained it.

My new neighbour acquired the property next door, and later, without my knowledge or prior agreement, removed the fence completely, and replaced it with a lower one.

23-09-2021, 09:06 AM
                      • Reply to Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                        by DPT57
                        You could look in an area that has companies nearby or where you have relatives who could manage it on a holiday let/Airbnb basis for you whilst you're away. You would need to pay them for cleaning/laundry/advertising and managing bookings etc plus whatever profit is appropriate, but you would still...
                        23-09-2021, 16:40 PM
                      • Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                        by jamesbridge
                        Does anyone know how I might find myself a flat to live in that I can later sublet in its entirety?

I am wanting to spend 6 months at a time in Canada and then 6 months in the UK and repeat this - while keeping the same UK address and subletting the UK flat while I am away in Canada each...
                        20-09-2021, 13:43 PM
                      • Reply to Boundary fence
                        by Hudson01
                        Do this........ get all your ' ducks in a row ' before you do anything in court, the courts can be harsh with those who do not have all the facts/paperwork in place, it does not come down to right or wrong, but what you can prove.

If he is one of those charming fellows who thinks he is...
                        23-09-2021, 16:14 PM
                      • Reply to If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                        by DPT57
                        I think its highly unlikely that they are going to take you to court for illegal eviction with the accusation that you deprived them of the ability to run the cannabis farm. Just take possession and move-on.
                        23-09-2021, 16:12 PM
                      • If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                        by darkdev
                        I have a tenant on a long lease (12 months to run), I need to evict them with a section 8 which will be focused on the fact they were running a cannabis farm. Tenants seem to have run off, haven't heard from them in 3 weeks. If as you might expect they don't contest the eviction, will I definitely...
                        22-09-2021, 12:42 PM
                      • Reply to False call Out
                        by DPT57
                        There is an isolator switch behind the microwave oven in my mother's flat and if she closes the microwave door a bit hard, it moves back just enough to turn off the switch. Is it possible that something similar happened with your fridge?...
                        23-09-2021, 15:46 PM
                      • False call Out
                        by oystersequel
                        I had a call from a tenant stating the central heating controller has stopped working. On arrival at the house, the controller was blank. I removed it from the wall and put an electrical tester on the backing plate, it had no power. I ask my electrician to attend the house, he arrived when I was there....
                        20-09-2021, 17:50 PM
                      Working...
                      X