Letting to tenants new to the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting to tenants new to the country

Soon to be first-time landlord here, and have just got a query from a prospective tenant who has just landed in the country.

He has a job with a company that has sponsored his visa and his annual income is well above what he'd need to make to clear the affordability check. He's able to provide the employment contract as evidence. He has just opened a bank account but is yet to receive his first paycheck, and also won't have any other documentation like a electoral roll so I'm expecting that he will not come up great on a reference check or credit check.

I'm guessing this must be a not-too-uncommon situation.

How should I deal with this?

A year's rent up front.

Comment

First thing is "right to rent" check, then "is this a scam" check.
      Are there really any companies importing highly paid workers at the moment ??

Comment

If this is your first let, I'd decline the tenant.
        It's possibly a risk worth taking, but not when it's your first experience of being a landlord.
        Stick to something simpler.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you all. Yes, does look like something I should stay away from. Too exotic for a first-time landlord to deal with.

Comment

Such people are my staple tenants. Always had good experiences with them. Good to hear we are still "importing" them.

Comment

A bit like jumping into the ring with Mike Tyson on your first boxing debut lol No references, no assurances, not UK-based (so enforcing money orders is difficult, if not impossible).

I'd hard pass and ignore the impulse to take the first tenant who is interested, something easier/more fitting will come along.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X