solicitors fees

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    solicitors fees

    Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us , however this has now cost us over £9000 in solicitors fees, have complained obviously, but do others think this charge is over the top, if so what can i do about it, thanks

    #2
    How many hearings, how many meetings, how may hours are they billing? What's their hourly rate?

    Does this include the conveyance?

    Comment


      #3
      1 initial meeting, no hearings , as tenant didn’t put in a defence , no conveyance, hourly rate £160, apparently 5,400 hrs spent , hard to believe but I’ve got no way to disprove it

      Comment


        #4
        I think all solicitors are overpriced but I'm not surprised you have a huge bill. At least you got your house back.

        Have they given you an itemised bill or an initial quote?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by rob1648 View Post
          1 initial meeting, no hearings , as tenant didn’t put in a defence , no conveyance, hourly rate £160, apparently 5,400 hrs spent , hard to believe but I’ve got no way to disprove it
          £9000 at £160 an hour is about 56 hours work (not 5400).
          That's still quite a lot for an uncontested section 21 process.

          I'd ask them for a detailed statement of how they managed to spend so much time on such a simple matter?



          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

          Comment


            #6
            I would think 20 hours at the very max. Hard to justify 9k . . .

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
              I would think 20 hours at the very max. Hard to justify 9k . . .
              They have to reread the paperwork every time the pick it up because things take so long & they forget what the case is about!!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                £9000 at £160 an hour is about 56 hours work (not 5400).
                Probably £160 + VAT per hour. Still like 47 hours though.

                Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                That's still quite a lot for an uncontested section 21 process.
                +1

                An hour initial meeting, half an hour for the s21, a few hours for the claims paperwork, and total a few hours warrants etc. Ten hours, fifteen maybe we say?
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

                I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

                Comment


                  #9
                  It is a tad high, unless you get a breakdown of the costs it's just people speculating, as it could be Letters to the T, they could have tried mediation. Most important thing is you've got the property back and your out of the game. Just make sure you CCJ put against the T (you can do it yourself MCOL).

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It's not just the hours don't forget, it takes six years training to learn how to inflate fees like that

                    Comment


                      #11
                      We all understand that they are not known for their charitable nature...... but 9k !!!! As has been said, ask for a detailed breakdown of exactly how they have spent a weeks worth of time (avrg 48hr week) to deal with this simple (non contested) S21....... Wow

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by rob1648 View Post
                        Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us , however this has now cost us over £9000 in solicitors fees, have complained obviously, but do others think this charge is over the top, if so what can i do about it, thanks
                        We had a very high solicitors charge but my partner noticed in their terms & conditions that they had put that if their charges were going to go over £5000 they would contact us first, which they had not done, so the bill was reduced to £5000 plus Vat at £1000.
                        And I believe that there is a scheme where you can ask for a breakdown of the costs.
                        With solicitors charging over £200 an hour, when my tenant received his Notice to Quit he rang my solicitor complaining and they spoke for about half an hour, I was charged £100 for the half hour phone call which my solicitor said "I was obliged to accept" ?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by rob1648 View Post
                          do others think this charge is over the top
                          It sounds like it. But as above ask for a breakdown of fees first and take it from there.

                          There is a Solicitors Regulation Authority. It has a Code of Conduct.

                          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Piffy View Post
                            when my tenant received his Notice to Quit he rang my solicitor complaining and they spoke for about half an hour, I was charged £100 for the half hour phone call which my solicitor said "I was obliged to accept" ?
                            They probably spoke for 2 mins but they only bill in multiples of 30 mins.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by DPT57 View Post

                              They probably spoke for 2 mins but they only bill in multiples of 30 mins.
                              No, nearly every firm uses 6 min and multiples of 6 minutes.

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X