solicitors fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solicitors fees

Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us , however this has now cost us over £9000 in solicitors fees, have complained obviously, but do others think this charge is over the top, if so what can i do about it, thanks

How many hearings, how many meetings, how may hours are they billing? What's their hourly rate?

Does this include the conveyance?

Comment

1 initial meeting, no hearings , as tenant didn’t put in a defence , no conveyance, hourly rate £160, apparently 5,400 hrs spent , hard to believe but I’ve got no way to disprove it

Comment

I think all solicitors are overpriced but I'm not surprised you have a huge bill. At least you got your house back.

Have they given you an itemised bill or an initial quote?

Comment

Originally posted by rob1648 View Post
          1 initial meeting, no hearings , as tenant didn’t put in a defence , no conveyance, hourly rate £160, apparently 5,400 hrs spent , hard to believe but I’ve got no way to disprove it
          £9000 at £160 an hour is about 56 hours work (not 5400).
          That's still quite a lot for an uncontested section 21 process.

I'd ask them for a detailed statement of how they managed to spend so much time on such a simple matter?

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would think 20 hours at the very max. Hard to justify 9k . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
              I would think 20 hours at the very max. Hard to justify 9k . . .
              They have to reread the paperwork every time the pick it up because things take so long & they forget what the case is about!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                £9000 at £160 an hour is about 56 hours work (not 5400).
                Probably £160 + VAT per hour. Still like 47 hours though.

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                That's still quite a lot for an uncontested section 21 process.
                +1

An hour initial meeting, half an hour for the s21, a few hours for the claims paperwork, and total a few hours warrants etc. Ten hours, fifteen maybe we say?
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

It is a tad high, unless you get a breakdown of the costs it's just people speculating, as it could be Letters to the T, they could have tried mediation. Most important thing is you've got the property back and your out of the game. Just make sure you CCJ put against the T (you can do it yourself MCOL).

Comment

It's not just the hours don't forget, it takes six years training to learn how to inflate fees like that

Comment

We all understand that they are not known for their charitable nature...... but 9k !!!! As has been said, ask for a detailed breakdown of exactly how they have spent a weeks worth of time (avrg 48hr week) to deal with this simple (non contested) S21....... Wow

Comment

Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us , however this has now cost us over £9000 in solicitors fees, have complained obviously, but do others think this charge is over the top, if so what can i do about it, thanks
                        We had a very high solicitors charge but my partner noticed in their terms & conditions that they had put that if their charges were going to go over £5000 they would contact us first, which they had not done, so the bill was reduced to £5000 plus Vat at £1000.
                        And I believe that there is a scheme where you can ask for a breakdown of the costs.
                        With solicitors charging over £200 an hour, when my tenant received his Notice to Quit he rang my solicitor complaining and they spoke for about half an hour, I was charged £100 for the half hour phone call which my solicitor said "I was obliged to accept" ?

Comment

do others think this charge is over the top
                          It sounds like it. But as above ask for a breakdown of fees first and take it from there.

There is a Solicitors Regulation Authority. It has a Code of Conduct.

There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by Piffy View Post
                            when my tenant received his Notice to Quit he rang my solicitor complaining and they spoke for about half an hour, I was charged £100 for the half hour phone call which my solicitor said "I was obliged to accept" ?
                            They probably spoke for 2 mins but they only bill in multiples of 30 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post

They probably spoke for 2 mins but they only bill in multiples of 30 mins.
                              No, nearly every firm uses 6 min and multiples of 6 minutes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electrical certificate requirements for existing T
                                by jpkeates
                                Every tenancy must have a satisfactory EICR every five years.
                                That applies to existing tenancies (since April 1st 2021).

I'd question why the agent is only telling you this now.
                                It would be a very weird google search that would lead you to think that you didn't need a test....
                                23-09-2021, 17:53 PM
                              • Electrical certificate requirements for existing T
                                by msg2004
                                Hey
                                I had the 3 bedroom property fully rewired about 8 years ago.
                                The existing T's moved in over 2 years ago and I gave them a new 12 month AST at the end of their first 12 months
                                The letting agent is say we need an electrical certificate.
                                The rental is in Sladgreen/London...
                                23-09-2021, 17:30 PM
                              • Reply to Boundary fence
                                by DPT57
                                Once you're certain that your deeds are correct on the matter and not in conflict with his deeds, you can send him a letter demanding that he remove his fence and reinstate yours or one substantially similar. If he doesn't comply, you would send a Letter Before Action and ultimately sue him for the...
                                23-09-2021, 16:44 PM
                              • Boundary fence
                                by Ollyn
                                Hello,

On my Deeds, it shows which fence is my responsibility, and I have always maintained it.

My new neighbour acquired the property next door, and later, without my knowledge or prior agreement, removed the fence completely, and replaced it with a lower one.

23-09-2021, 09:06 AM
                              • Reply to Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                                by DPT57
                                You could look in an area that has companies nearby or where you have relatives who could manage it on a holiday let/Airbnb basis for you whilst you're away. You would need to pay them for cleaning/laundry/advertising and managing bookings etc plus whatever profit is appropriate, but you would still...
                                23-09-2021, 16:40 PM
                              • Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                                by jamesbridge
                                Does anyone know how I might find myself a flat to live in that I can later sublet in its entirety?

I am wanting to spend 6 months at a time in Canada and then 6 months in the UK and repeat this - while keeping the same UK address and subletting the UK flat while I am away in Canada each...
                                20-09-2021, 13:43 PM
                              • Reply to Boundary fence
                                by Hudson01
                                Do this........ get all your ' ducks in a row ' before you do anything in court, the courts can be harsh with those who do not have all the facts/paperwork in place, it does not come down to right or wrong, but what you can prove.

If he is one of those charming fellows who thinks he is...
                                23-09-2021, 16:14 PM
                              • Reply to If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                                by DPT57
                                I think its highly unlikely that they are going to take you to court for illegal eviction with the accusation that you deprived them of the ability to run the cannabis farm. Just take possession and move-on.
                                23-09-2021, 16:12 PM
                              • If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                                by darkdev
                                I have a tenant on a long lease (12 months to run), I need to evict them with a section 8 which will be focused on the fact they were running a cannabis farm. Tenants seem to have run off, haven't heard from them in 3 weeks. If as you might expect they don't contest the eviction, will I definitely...
                                22-09-2021, 12:42 PM
                              • Reply to False call Out
                                by DPT57
                                There is an isolator switch behind the microwave oven in my mother's flat and if she closes the microwave door a bit hard, it moves back just enough to turn off the switch. Is it possible that something similar happened with your fridge?...
                                23-09-2021, 15:46 PM
                              Working...
                              X