Should I specify a termination date on a lodger agreement, or could it be left blank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I specify a termination date on a lodger agreement, or could it be left blank?

Hi,
    I am an owner/occupier about to welcome a lodger into my home, and will be using the 'lodger agreement' document provided by spareroom

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether they think i either *have to* or *should* enter a termination date under the termination of license clause (clause 6 in that document), especially since i have no set termination date in mind, and alternative means of termination of license are specified.

here is the clause as it is written on the lodger agreement document -

6. TERMINATION

6.1 The licensce to occupy, granted by this agreement, shall end on the earliest of

(a) [.......] insert date

(b) the expirey of not less than seven days' notice given by the Licensor to the Licensee if the Licensee breaches any of the obligations contained in calause 3: and

(c) the expirey of note less than four weeks' notice given by either part to the other.

{end}

Is it OK / wise to leave this blank, since i have no set term in mind?
    Or should I perhaps add a date in one year or so, simply as a means of being able to review the agreement,
    Though, i suppose, in that case, I would then be advised, in fact required, to draw up and mutually sign another agreement if i continue to a second year, since by putting a date there, i may be 'terminating' the valid period of the agreement?

Any views.
    Thanks as ever.

It is zero days notice if they don't pay rent or try to rape you. So 6b is over specified.

The termination date really just fixes the rate of rent. It is probably reasonable to have a date though.

Comment

Originally posted by inthelandlordzone View Post
      expirey
      etc.

I hope these are your typos, and not in the original document?!

The lodger agreement which I am familiar with originates from Shelter, and it doesn't include an end date. An end date is not necessary and I don't see that it is useful.
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

The one I referred to says this:

Agreement start date

The lodgings arrangement begins on [date] and runs from month to month with no fixed term.
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post
          The one I referred to says this:
          And let's say for example a later government changes the law to make it impossible to get rid of a lodger (even a rapist one)...... I'd like an agreement with an end.

Shelter would be my very last source for legal documents to be downloaded by people who do not want to be raped or otherwise screwed up

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
            Yes, the typos were my own.
            Just for the record, I have now decided to enter a termination date one year from the commencement.
            The reason for this is that (as we are likely to have inflation etc), I might have to adjust the rent level that is entered on the agreement anyway.
            I just have to remember to do that on the correct date : )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X