Tenant tracing costs - adding to court costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant tracing costs - adding to court costs

This post from 2012 asked whether a tracing fee can be added to costs when making an MCOL claim, and the answer was 'yes'. Is this still possible after the claim has been issued, and if so what would be the mechanism?

I have issued a claim, 14 days have elapsed without response so I can now request a judgment. I used the debtor's last known address for the claim but I know they don't live there any more. I know roughly where they live now (building, but not flat number). I suspect a tracing agent could probably find it, either now or in a few months time.
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

You can ask the court to amend the amount claimed, but I'd expect them to say no.
    Getting the amount you claim right is your responsibility.

You can make a separate claim for the amount you missed this time.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I didn't necessarily miss it. The claim was made based on information available at the time.
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

In which case, ask the court if they'll allow you to increase the claim in the light of the new information.

The general view is that if you're chasing a debt, you shouldn't start until you know how much is owed and have sent the LBA demanding payment etc.
        But they may allow it.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

btw, I have just phoned the tracing agent which is perhaps the most obvious one (i.e. the one that tends to get mentioned first on this forum when the subject arises) and was advised that they could not give me an address if they found one. Data protection. Their company policy is to only give that information to solicitors. This did not used to be the case. Seems the landscape has changed somewhat.

Comment

doobrey My initial thought is that they must be doing something dodgy to get the data and want some kind of protection from legal privilege.
            If someone finds something out for you, and don't break some other law in doing that, there shouldn't be any kind of data protection issue.

And that would seem to undermine their whole business model.
            I can't imagine too many people would pay for a people finding service that comes back and says, "we've found them, but we won't tell you where they are".

Comment

Yes, I was surprised. But this was direct from the horse's mouth. Just now. I will call them back tomorrow to confirm, but we both seemed 100% clear in what we were saying. Misunderstanding not likely.

I haven't tried anyone else yet, but I will do.

Comment

I just called again to confirm. That firm says they changed their policy a couple of years ago and it was their decision - not legislation (at the time, at least). They thought that disclosing address details to individual LLs was not the right thing to do and now they restrict this information to solicitors only.

Comment

Please do let us know how you get on with other tracing agents. I would be keen to know if this is now an industry wide policy

Comment

It seems not to be.

I have instructed another company via their website to do a trace. This instruction was accepted and it should be ongoing now. There was no suggestion that they would only provide resulting info to solicitors, and I haven't seen anything to say this elsewhere when looking at options. The change in policy seems to be specific to the company I spoke to (the one beginning with 'F').

Comment

Tell them as you are litigant in person in an ongoing court case that they can't give them to a solicitor, they must give them to you as the Court and service require them.

As others have said, this totally removes the whole point of the service. What good is paying for people tracing if you can't then get the information to correctly serve paperwork? Nonsense, escalate and speak to an owner/senior manager.

Comment

I don't think I could force a private company to provide me a service. It's their prerogative.

I used another company (which, in response to post #9, I was happy with ; they provided an address which I am sure is the right one, at modest cost and within 24 hours).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Electrical certificate requirements for existing T
                          by msg2004
                          Hey
                          I had the 3 bedroom property fully rewired about 8 years ago.
                          The existing T's moved in over 2 years ago and I gave them a new 12 month AST at the end of their first 12 months
                          The letting agent is say we need an electrical certificate.
                          The rental is in Sladgreen/London...
                          23-09-2021, 17:30 PM
                        • Reply to Boundary fence
                          by DPT57
                          Once you're certain that your deeds are correct on the matter and not in conflict with his deeds, you can send him a letter demanding that he remove his fence and reinstate yours or one substantially similar. If he doesn't comply, you would send a Letter Before Action and ultimately sue him for the...
                          23-09-2021, 16:44 PM
                        • Boundary fence
                          by Ollyn
                          Hello,

On my Deeds, it shows which fence is my responsibility, and I have always maintained it.

My new neighbour acquired the property next door, and later, without my knowledge or prior agreement, removed the fence completely, and replaced it with a lower one.

23-09-2021, 09:06 AM
                        • Reply to Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                          by DPT57
                          You could look in an area that has companies nearby or where you have relatives who could manage it on a holiday let/Airbnb basis for you whilst you're away. You would need to pay them for cleaning/laundry/advertising and managing bookings etc plus whatever profit is appropriate, but you would still...
                          23-09-2021, 16:40 PM
                        • Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                          by jamesbridge
                          Does anyone know how I might find myself a flat to live in that I can later sublet in its entirety?

I am wanting to spend 6 months at a time in Canada and then 6 months in the UK and repeat this - while keeping the same UK address and subletting the UK flat while I am away in Canada each...
                          20-09-2021, 13:43 PM
                        • Reply to Boundary fence
                          by Hudson01
                          Do this........ get all your ' ducks in a row ' before you do anything in court, the courts can be harsh with those who do not have all the facts/paperwork in place, it does not come down to right or wrong, but what you can prove.

If he is one of those charming fellows who thinks he is...
                          23-09-2021, 16:14 PM
                        • Reply to If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                          by DPT57
                          I think its highly unlikely that they are going to take you to court for illegal eviction with the accusation that you deprived them of the ability to run the cannabis farm. Just take possession and move-on.
                          23-09-2021, 16:12 PM
                        • If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                          by darkdev
                          I have a tenant on a long lease (12 months to run), I need to evict them with a section 8 which will be focused on the fact they were running a cannabis farm. Tenants seem to have run off, haven't heard from them in 3 weeks. If as you might expect they don't contest the eviction, will I definitely...
                          22-09-2021, 12:42 PM
                        • Reply to False call Out
                          by DPT57
                          There is an isolator switch behind the microwave oven in my mother's flat and if she closes the microwave door a bit hard, it moves back just enough to turn off the switch. Is it possible that something similar happened with your fridge?...
                          23-09-2021, 15:46 PM
                        • False call Out
                          by oystersequel
                          I had a call from a tenant stating the central heating controller has stopped working. On arrival at the house, the controller was blank. I removed it from the wall and put an electrical tester on the backing plate, it had no power. I ask my electrician to attend the house, he arrived when I was there....
                          20-09-2021, 17:50 PM
                        Working...
                        X