New front door and windows

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New front door and windows

    I'm looking into having a new front door, living room and first floor windows fitted to my rental property, and the letting agency "go to guy" really doesn't inspire confidence when I met him today! (On other quotes for different work) He mentioned that the glass needs to be toughened if below a certain height? Has anyone else heard of this?
    Also does the windows and door need to be fitted by a fensa approved fitter?


    Yes if the windows are below a certain height, they need to be toughened glass so that someone can't accidentally break it. If they are at standard level then no toughened glass is required. Also windows need to be a certain width in case of fire.

    FENSA is only the body that regulates the industry, if there are any issues you can refer back to them, some builders will fit the units themselves but get the units from manufacturers who are Fensa approved, if they fit incorrectly you don't have any recourse.


      It would be better to get a specialist window fitter or someone recommended by the manufacturer rather than use the 'go to guy'.


        To be fair to the '' go to guy '', he did know of the height restriction for toughened glass...... so he must have some knowledge. I have seen widows etc fitted by some of the more wider known firms out there and they are not all that, they often employ fitters who on a daily rate so you may simply end up with another '' go to guy '' but with a more well known firms logo on his overalls, and pay a lot more !


          Replacing windows & doors come under building control so when you come to sell your property you will be expected to have the correct paperwork. This is either a building control sign off or a FENSA or CERTASS certificate issued under the competent persons scheme.

          I would be going to a specialist company rather than the 'go to guy' but you can always compare quotes. A FENSA or CERTASS registered company will give you a guarantee and given that they do this and only this, will probably do a quicker &/or better job. If your 'go to guy' does it you will need to apply and pay for an inspection by building control.

          Windows do need to be toughened glass below a certain height and will not require planning permission unless you significantly change the look of the property or are in a conservation area. They should have trickle vents fitted and should not reduce the size of the existing opening. They must also comply with current fire safety regs ie they should open wide enough to exit upstairs.

          Find a local company with a set price rather than a national company with a 'special offer if you sign up today' price and get a couple of quotes.


            Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
            To be fair to the '' go to guy '', he did know of the height restriction for toughened glass...... so he must have some knowledge.
            I know about the toughened glass rule on windows doors and furniture but that doesn't mean I could fit replacement windows and doors!


              Agree with above, i guess it's all down to recommendation............. where ever they come from, it is this which really counts.


              Latest Activity


              • Reply to Boundary fence
                by DPT57
                Once you're certain that your deeds are correct on the matter and not in conflict with his deeds, you can send him a letter demanding that he remove his fence and reinstate yours or one substantially similar. If he doesn't comply, you would send a Letter Before Action and ultimately sue him for the...
                23-09-2021, 16:44 PM
              • Boundary fence
                by Ollyn

                On my Deeds, it shows which fence is my responsibility, and I have always maintained it.

                My new neighbour acquired the property next door, and later, without my knowledge or prior agreement, removed the fence completely, and replaced it with a lower one.

                23-09-2021, 09:06 AM
              • Reply to Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                by DPT57
                You could look in an area that has companies nearby or where you have relatives who could manage it on a holiday let/Airbnb basis for you whilst you're away. You would need to pay them for cleaning/laundry/advertising and managing bookings etc plus whatever profit is appropriate, but you would still...
                23-09-2021, 16:40 PM
              • Finding a Home That I Can Legally Sublet in its Entirety
                by jamesbridge
                Does anyone know how I might find myself a flat to live in that I can later sublet in its entirety?

                I am wanting to spend 6 months at a time in Canada and then 6 months in the UK and repeat this - while keeping the same UK address and subletting the UK flat while I am away in Canada each...
                20-09-2021, 13:43 PM
              • Reply to Boundary fence
                by Hudson01
                Do this........ get all your ' ducks in a row ' before you do anything in court, the courts can be harsh with those who do not have all the facts/paperwork in place, it does not come down to right or wrong, but what you can prove.

                If he is one of those charming fellows who thinks he is...
                23-09-2021, 16:14 PM
              • Reply to If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                by DPT57
                I think its highly unlikely that they are going to take you to court for illegal eviction with the accusation that you deprived them of the ability to run the cannabis farm. Just take possession and move-on.
                23-09-2021, 16:12 PM
              • If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
                by darkdev
                I have a tenant on a long lease (12 months to run), I need to evict them with a section 8 which will be focused on the fact they were running a cannabis farm. Tenants seem to have run off, haven't heard from them in 3 weeks. If as you might expect they don't contest the eviction, will I definitely...
                22-09-2021, 12:42 PM
              • Reply to False call Out
                by DPT57
                There is an isolator switch behind the microwave oven in my mother's flat and if she closes the microwave door a bit hard, it moves back just enough to turn off the switch. Is it possible that something similar happened with your fridge?...
                23-09-2021, 15:46 PM
              • False call Out
                by oystersequel
                I had a call from a tenant stating the central heating controller has stopped working. On arrival at the house, the controller was blank. I removed it from the wall and put an electrical tester on the backing plate, it had no power. I ask my electrician to attend the house, he arrived when I was there....
                20-09-2021, 17:50 PM
              • Reply to LL feeling sorry for those tenants who work......
                by DPT57
                With respect, your costs are irrelevant. The market rent is the market rent and if yours is priced above it, you won't get much serious interest....
                23-09-2021, 15:20 PM