Trapped in my tenancy? Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapped in my tenancy? Please help

So I have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, I found someone to take over my apartment for the remaining month of my tenancy as I am moving across the country.
    The agreement states that:

2. Early Termination

2.1. If the Tenant vacates the Premises during the Term apart from according to any agreed break clause which is included within the
    Agreement, the Tenant will remain liable to pay Rent and any other monies payable under this Agreement until the Term expires; or
    the Premises are re-let whichever is earlier.

2.2. The tenant will also be liable for any reasonable costs incurred by the Landlord or the Landlord’s Agent in arranging the early
    termination of the Tenancy.

2.3. If the tenant wishes to make amendments to the tenancy, such as but not limited to:
    • Pets to be kept in the property
    • A change of sharer in a joint tenancy
    • Permission to sub-let
    • A business to be run from the property
    • Or any other amendment which alters the obligations of the agreement
    The tenant will be liable to pay a charge of £50.

I emailed the block manager at the agency to ask how I would go about transferring the tenancy so the landlord can still have an occupied property and received this response:

'Unfortunately we would not be able to end your Tenancy early and offer a Tenancy takeover for your property as your Tenancy ends in September and we already have other vacant apartments within the building that we must prioritise securing a Tenant for.'

I have had issues in the past with this agency not returning my deposit on time as stated in the contract, but 3 months late, not replying to emails or phone calls. If I could continue to pay the rent when I moved then I would but unfortunately it is not an option for me as I am a graduate on a low salary.
    They have also overcharged me by £30 a month on rent as when I emailed to confirm the amount, they stated 550 and not the 520 on the tenancy agreement.

My tenancy is until the 11th September 2021. Why, for the next not even 2 months, can I not transfer the tenancy to someone. Is this legal? Not all apartments are owned by the same landlord so I do not understand why this would be a priority.

UPDATE: 'We would need to request permission for this from your Landlord. However it is very unlikely that it would be agreed to as your Tenancy comes to an end in September. You would also be liable to cover all of the costs for the Tenancy take over including check out inspection, clean if necessary, any maintenance works required (if any), referencing of new applicant, set up fee, inventory fee, and cover the rent payments until the new Tenancy commences.'

This doesn't answer your question in full, but am I right to read that you have, for 11 months? been overpaying your rent?

Comment

Financially it may not make sense if you only have 1.5 months left of your tenancy to leave, but your entitled to, and pay the early termination fees etc, they can't say that this is no longer available to you, it was set out in your tenancy therefore it is still valid.

If you leave the property and had substituted the tenancy to someone else, they would then be liable for any damage, I wouldn't accept this if I was a new T. I would just leave in Sept and ensure the check-out is performed making meter readings etc. The LL or MA doesn't have to accept anyone you have found as a replacement, as they would need to go through the checks and referencing.

Comment

What does the tenancy agreement say about transferring/assigning the tenancy?

Comment

Originally posted by ash5050 View Post
          This doesn't answer your question in full, but am I right to read that you have, for 11 months? been overpaying your rent?
          No, it is only a 3month tenancy as I am working temporarily in the city. I have paid too much for 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
            Financially it may not make sense if you only have 1.5 months left of your tenancy to leave, but your entitled to, and pay the early termination fees etc, they can't say that this is no longer available to you, it was set out in your tenancy therefore it is still valid.

If you leave the property and had substituted the tenancy to someone else, they would then be liable for any damage, I wouldn't accept this if I was a new T. I would just leave in Sept and ensure the check-out is performed making meter readings etc. The LL or MA doesn't have to accept anyone you have found as a replacement, as they would need to go through the checks and referencing.
            Yes this is exactly what I thought, that it was still valid. I understand they do not have to accept them but I read the email as I would be liable for damage still

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
              What does the tenancy agreement say about transferring/assigning the tenancy?
              Unfortunately it says nothing more than the quote in my original post.

Comment

Aah my bad I'd assumed it was a longer agreement.
                I would definitely complain to the agent about the discrepancy between the amount you paid and the figure on the agreement.

Actually I'd probably just underpay next month instead and give them an email as to why you've done it.

Comment

Originally posted by kazekaze View Post

Unfortunately it says nothing more than the quote in my original post.
                  If the tenancy agreement says nothing about assigning/transferring then you do not need consent to assign/transfer.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My buy to let property is being used as a cannabis growing factory
                    by darkdev
                    Hey OP, my house was turned into a cannabis farm, and this was using a very large popular high street agent. They are so far not admitting liability, nor do I think that they will. They also neglected to inspect saying it was due to covid restrictions (although I suspect if they had persisted in trying...
                    27-09-2021, 08:10 AM
                  • My buy to let property is being used as a cannabis growing factory
                    by Blanks7025
                    Hi 👋
                    I found out yesterday when I went for inspection and for surveyor valuation that my buy to let property is being used as a cannabis growing factory

I called the police when I noticed changes and had a locksmith open door as locks changed and letter hole seal and Neighbours...
                    01-09-2021, 10:47 AM
                  • Reply to relocation of boiler
                    by jpkeates
                    There are two ways to obtain an address at least.
                    One is to write to the agent and ask for the landlord's contact details in writing.
                    They have a limited time to respond, and a failure to do so is a criminal offence.
                    Albeit one that's never ever prosecuted.
                    And it might very...
                    27-09-2021, 07:55 AM
                  • relocation of boiler
                    by BigWelsh
                    Hi, I have been renting the house I live in for 10 years approx with my partner, we have 3 children the youngest is 5 months old. The property is a 3 bedroom house and rented to us as such (via the tenancy agreement). The problem I'm facing is that the "3rd" bedroom is rather small, maybe...
                    26-09-2021, 19:44 PM
                  • Reply to Using the Small Claims Court after DPS deposit dispute decision
                    by KTC
                    Sure, but that "any losses beyond that" mean claims that wasn't or can't be adjudicated under the ADR, not ADR awarded me £50 when I spent £200 so I'd go to court for the other £150 for example....
                    27-09-2021, 07:41 AM
                  • Using the Small Claims Court after DPS deposit dispute decision
                    by Btret
                    Hi All,

I have recently received the DPS decision on a deposit dispute that I had with the tenant. I am shocked by the low amount that I have been awarded and I am severely out of pocket by the amount I had to spend to get the property back into a good condition.

I wanted to...
                    26-09-2021, 13:04 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant changed name but didn’t tell Landlord
                    by jpkeates
                    Your name is what you’re known by, and people can have multiple names.
                    A deed poll is simply a formal route so you obtain documents with a name different to your birth or married name.

If you were born Susan, but everyone calls you Snake, you can sign contracts or be served warrants...
                    27-09-2021, 07:25 AM
                  • Tenant changed name but didn’t tell Landlord
                    by LAL18
                    Hi everyone, not sure if this is legal? My tenant signed a tenancy agreement for 3 years then informed me just before signing next AST for year 4, that they had changed their name by legal deed poll 10 months into the first year of tenancy. They didn’t tell us and carried on signing short hold tenancy...
                    26-09-2021, 12:11 PM
                  • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
                    by jpkeates
                    But that’s not what you’re suggesting it says.

You’re saying it means, has the tenant received an EPC that was current when the notice was served? And it doesn’t say that.
                    Which is good, because the author of that web site is a solicitor and that’s not the law says.
                    27-09-2021, 07:20 AM
                  • S21 served expired EPC!
                    by Worriednow
                    Hi All
                    Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but...
                    23-09-2021, 20:02 PM
                  Working...
                  X