Lodger on uc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodger on uc

Hi I took in my friend who I've known 27 years. Her boyfriend kicked her out in the street during lockdown. I took her in and helped her claim uc so she can get some sort of income aswell as paying me rent im on benefits.shes been here 7 months but every month she kept making excuses and was paying me late. She found a job for 2 months but had to move in the accommodation there as it was to far to travel.she kept ringing me to half her rent as she cudnt afford 2 places but I couldn't do that due me already losing some housing benefit. Things have got bad to worse and now she won't pay me fir this month .our friendship is almost over not only because of the rent but telling me I can't have my grankids over a certain time because she doing online job interviews and they will distract her.i want to give her a weeks notice as she's hardly here but wants to use my address to claim uc.shes already left me with no money and my direct debits have failed due to her not paying me any suggestion please

Give her notice. As an excluded occupier she has got limited rights. It is not like evicting a tenant. Having not paid rent, I'm not sure if she has any right to occupy(?) I did look into this once but never found a very conclusive answer.

If you get into real problems you can change the locks but I would only do this as a last resort.

You can give notice verbally / by text message for convenience but back it up with a letter and keep a copy. Do everything by the book. Keep formal communications concise and neutral in tone, and do not do anything which could be perceived or represented as harassment.
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

First of all do you have anything in writing that you have an agreement, and how much she is going to pay you. If she is a lodger then you can change the locks so she can't return. I would send her a statement of the arrears, inform her to make the payment or set up a payment plan, see if the T sticks to it, if not you have no other choice but to change locks etc as if she can't respect you then why should you respect her.

Next time don't take in friends or family, it always goes wrong when money is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
        Next time don't take in friends or family, it always goes wrong when money is involved.
        A harsh lesson but true in most cases. There are individuals out there where all ther '' luck '' seems to go against them..... it's not luck, it is their life choices going back decades, it is best to offer help at a distance and let them get on with their life. Change the locks and if it all starts to kick off, call the boys (and ladies) in blue.

Comment

Originally posted by rmermaid1965 View Post
          ... she's hardly here but wants to use my address to claim uc.
          Inform UC that she is no longer living in your property but has moved to be near work.

Claiming UC Housing Element for a property where you don't live is benefit fraud.

If you let her use your address to claim UC-HE then you are knowingly colluding with that fraud, and I assume that you don't want to be a party to benefit fraud.

You should be OK as long as you report it now and don't let the fraudulent claim carry on.

Of course that means that she will have been overpaid UC and will have reduced UC payments in future to pay back that overpayment, which means you are less likely to get any money from her.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X