Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest (?) How To Rent guide

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._easy_read.pdf

Another 48 pages of inaccurate nonsense.

But landlords will have to serve it anyway just in case it may or may not be legally required.

We'll only find out for sure when some no-win-no-fee lawyer slithers a possession order to the court of appeal.

There is no requirement to give the 48 page document to T's, only the 18 page document which was published in Dec 2020.

Comment

Would it count if you emailed them a copy?

Comment

No just how to rent but other notices etc, I had a tenant give notice by whatapp! I let it go as it suited me, but I think the law should be made clear how notices can be delivered, as once had my agent organise a gas cert and emailed the tenant who never reads her email in the land of nodd

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
          There is no requirement to give the 48 page document to T's, only the 18 page document which was published in Dec 2020.
          That would be my guess too but there is no legal authority for that at present.

I wouldn't want to be a landlord arguing it against a free legal aid lawyer trying to delay a section 21.

Comment

Originally posted by jase222 View Post
            the tenant who never reads her email in the land of nodd
            Why would you expect her to read emails when asleep?

Comment

Some of the highlights:

Page 1:
              The government wrote this guide
              Page 15:
              The law says landlords must fix things like: ... problems preparing food or washing up
              Page 17:
              "Check the landlord is allowed to rent the property"
              Page 23:
              "[the LL must give you] a printed copy of this How to Rent guide. They can email a copy if you prefer"
              Page 23:
              "[the LL must give you] papers about electrical checks"
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Apparently it's designed for people with learning difficulties. More tokenism. Giles Peaker suggests serving both versions to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Codger View Post
                  Would it count if you emailed them a copy?
                  Not unless the tenant has agreed in writing that the document can be served in this way.

Originally posted by jase222 View Post
                  No just how to rent but other notices etc, I had a tenant give notice by whatapp! I let it go as it suited me, but I think the law should be made clear how notices can be delivered, as once had my agent organise a gas cert and emailed the tenant who never reads her email in the land of nodd
                  The law is quite clear about how notices can be served and so should most tenancy agreements be.
                  You can't serve the How to Rent guide other than by printing it out and giving or posting it to the tenant unless they've specifically agreed otherwise.
                  Other than that, unless specified otherwise, notices have to be in writing and often to a specific address provided (which again means by hand or by post).
                  If a notice has to be served to 25 High Street, Somewhere on Sea an email/whatsapp won't meet that requirement.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X