EV Vehicle Charging - Leasehold Flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EV Vehicle Charging - Leasehold Flats

I have 2 flats in a block of 12, the car park is attached to the grounds the flats are on, i have been thinking about the future of car ownership and have come to the conclusion that the flats may be less desirable to rent after 2030 given they have zero charging points (obviously) but more importantly i cannot see how it will be possible to fit them.

Are there any current forum members who have car park spaces away from their rental properties who have somehow figured out how this all works going forward, the whole idea of owning an EV is that it will be charged overnight, with the electricity coming from the property you either own or rent, but how can this practically work in flats where the car park is next to the block ?

The flats by the way are not the tall ones, they are a ground floor and a 1st floor (the same height as a house).

So any ideas on how this is going to work in the future for the charging/metering of said cars ?

Unfortunately you are describing a very common problem which appears not to have many sensible solutions as yet

Comment

I think the managing agent will have to liase with a firm like podpoint who already supply employers with chargepoints. See here: https://pod-point.com/solutions/busi...ntial-charging
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

As freeholder of flats i am watching out for gov grants to put charging points in. No sign yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Codger View Post
          As a freeholder of flats i am watching out for gov grants to put charging points in. No sign yet.
          I had not thought of that...... i too am a part freeholder, i am a shareholder in the Ltd company who own the Freehold, but given the number of flats out there i cannot see how they can be excluded from any grants.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            I think the managing agent will have to liase with a firm like podpoint who already supply employers with chargepoints. See here: https://pod-point.com/solutions/busi...ntial-charging
            Looks interesting...... and looks expensive into the bargain ! The whole argument for getting out of the PRS is getting even stronger for me, it was just the EPC of C but now it is this. Let us see what happens in a few years then decisions can be made.

Comment

I thought the government were scaling back EV “support”

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                I thought the government were scaling back EV “support”
                If that is the case then i can see a very slow roll out for the EV market.

Comment

I would be inclined to say that if a Leaseholder requires a Car charging station, the leaseholder pays the full cost of that instalation, and not have all leaseholders paying serice charges for instalations that don't benefit them.
                  Yes, a station, as trailing an extention lead out of a window is not recommended, together with the charging unit.

And if you go for the service charges installing on of those that let you pay by credit card ( Very expensive if you want to service all leaseholders ) then who pays the rental fees, Standing charges for electric fees when no one has an electric car, as that ONE person who had an electric car, sells, and no one eles has an E.V. ?

I will probably never have an electrc vehicle, as I have petrol cars ranging from ( and never less than 12 years old ) From 17 years old to 45 years old, all in exceptional condition, so no need for a car that can't get me to london and back in a day ( 460 mile round trip ) and I have to sleep in the car for 8 hours to charge before In can return --- Sod that.

From the Web . . . . .

EVs are at a relatively early stage of roll-out in Ireland. It is estimated that about 1.5 per cent of new car sales in 2019 were EVs and the figure may rise to about 3 per cent in 2020. EVs now constitute well under 1 per cent of the total stock of cars.

As EVs may provide an important contribution in reducing carbon emissions, you are right that residential developments with car parks should now be considering the implications of EV. That said, EVs and charging create a number of practical challenges in multi-unit developments, especially those built before EVs became available, ie where no charging points were installed when the development was built.

I know of several OMCs that reviewed this issue in the past year but for a variety of reasons, most (if not all) are adopting a wait-and-see approach on installing charging points.

As to you installing your own charging point, there are cases where owners who have electricity meters close to their car park space have cabled up their own EV charge point and pay for the electricity used via their own meter.

However, there are reasons why OMCs can be reluctant to allow owners to do this. Firstly, while such a solution may be okay for one car park space that is located close to the relevant meter, it can create problems if multiple owners install their own cabling or if cabling has to travel any distance, which it sounds like might be the case in your development with both underground and overground car parks.

Secondly, there are some technical issues. ESB Networks is not enthusiastic about individual owners making connections off individual power supplies in car parks, for health and safety reasons. Also, while meters are normally marked as connected to one apartment, connection terminals linked to individual apartments are rarely marked and this could mean an EV charge point is connected to an incorrect connector. Furthermore, meter boards normally do not have too much spare capacity so they can probably just facilitate a minority of apartment owners.

An alternative approach by individuals looking to install charge points is for them to ask that these be connected to the common area electricity supply (thus avoiding the problems of connecting to their own meter). This leads to the question of who pays for the electricity. Again, this may not be a big issue with one or two EV users. However, as the number of EV owners grows, it would not be fair for owners who do not own EVs to subsidise owners who do, via OMC electricity.

Another technical issue may relate to electricity “loads”. As the number of EVs rises, and the number of fast chargers grow, an OMC has to be careful that surges in electricity usage do not overload the system and knock out power for apartment owners. This raises the question of whether the current base infrastructure is adequate.

A further issue relates to standards used for charge points. This matter is still evolving and it would be important that individual owners don’t lock into proprietary standards (as per some solutions currently on the market) but instead favour open standards that will link to each other and to any wider OMC infrastructure.

So there are good reasons why an OMC may wish to discourage individual owners from installing their own charge points, but would prefer that charging points be installed centrally via the OMC.

Of course, for the OMC, the fact that the standards continue to evolve is also an issue as is the fact that it should not adopt a “closed standards” solution. There is also the question of who pays to put the charging infrastructure in place, ie does the OMC pay centrally or can it in some way link the costs of this infrastructure to EV users in the development. It may be possible to develop a pricing model which means users pay slightly above the market rate for electricity, thus allowing the OMC to recoup its initial costs of fitting the technology over time.

There are multiple issues involved, some quite complex. These help to explain why OMCs have been slow to retrofit apartment developments for EV charging. However, there is no doubt that this issue is now moving up the agenda for residential developments.

My advice to any OMC would be to get expert advice before installing EV charge points and there are now a number of EV consultants who advise on this issue. Organisations such as the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI), Engineers Ireland, and the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland (SCSI) may also provide advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                    I will probably never have an electrc vehicle, as I have petrol cars ranging from ( and never less than 12 years old ) From 17 years old to 45 years old, all in exceptional condition, so no need for a car that can't get me to london and back in a day ( 460 mile round trip ) and I have to sleep in the car for 8 hours to charge before In can return --- Sod that.

From the Web
                    I totally agree but for one small issue....... the govt will eventually tax petrol and diesel so highly it will become a deciding factor in running a fossil fueled car, one thing which is happening in my area next year and has already happened in Birmingham..... the Clean Air Zone. This will be the way that fossil fueled vehicles will be run off the road (no pun intended). If when you drive your car anywhere within a 40 miles radius of your home you have to pay £8 a day then that will be a game changer, it will come. The Birmingham experiment may start low with only the older cars being charged but it will work up to the Euro 6 compliant cars and eventually everything other than full EV..... This is how the govt will do it over time, so irrespective of how well you look after a petrol or diesel car, it will still be uneconomical to run it. All the other points are good and very informative.

It may not be soon, but in time the lack of charging infrastructure will have an effect on the rent-ability of flats with a communal car park, right or wrong EV's are coming and will be the dominant form of private transport in the future, fighting for petrol/diesel vehicles to the very end will be akin to demanding that Blockbuster video stores were kept open when Netflix etc came in.

Comment

Very simple, just 3 pin socket by every space, fits every ev on the road and perfectly adequate for overnight charging.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                        Very simple, just 3 pin socket by every space, fits every ev on the road and perfectly adequate for overnight charging.
                        1. It needs to be weather proof.
                        2. Need some way of charging for electricity used.

Comment

I believe the podpoint system I linked to can have the whole carpark prewired, and a charger installed in individual spaces only when needed. Presumably a fresh £350 grant would be available to each individual installation.
                          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                            I believe the podpoint system I linked to can have the whole carpark prewired, and a charger installed in individual spaces only when needed. Presumably a fresh £350 grant would be available to each individual installation.
                            These were my thoughts, the car parks in my flats are about to be changed and new concrete slabs put in, so before that happens we will look into placing the correct cabling under the slab, ready for any future connection but there is a lot to think about.

Comment

Hudson , if you cannot get the right cabling under the slab it may be easy to run a few empty tubes under it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X