Early release agreed but LL wants tenant to vacate 4 days early but still pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early release agreed but LL wants tenant to vacate 4 days early but still pay?

My daughter (young professional) rented a flat but hasn't ended up living there due to covid etc. She asked to end tenancy early and this was agreed subject to the agents finding a new tenant.

New tenant is moving in on 30th July, however daughter has been told she has to vacate/ have final inspection/hand back keys on 26th but has to pay up to 30th!

Surely this can't be right and is just the letting agents trying it on to give themselves more time for cleaning etc?

The agent has told her "Usually tenants on early release need to vacate the property 5 days before the new tenant moves in"

Anyone know if this is in any way legit? She can't be held liable e.g. for bills etc once she has moved out, but officially her tenancy doesn't end until 30th?

The landlord/agent can pretty much come to any arrangement that they like, they're under no obligation to end the tenancy early, so there's not a lot you can do in practice.

I'd guess the agent is doing exactly what you suggest.
    But if it gets your daughter out of the agreement early, that's still a win.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You've got a rent waiver of several months, but are still moaning about paying the rent until the new person moves in?

Comment

JK0 - No, actually the rent waiver only ends up being about 14 days. Although they agreed the early release months ago it has taken them this long to find a new tenant, then they gave my daughter one week's notice that they wanted her to move out on 26th!

Her next tenancy doesn't start until 27th (in a different part of the country) and the agent is refusing to let her stay an additional day, which seems rather unfair when she's paying until 30th.

Comment

Being practical.

TBH her only problem, apart from a couple of days rent, is the moving date.
          Get the movers to collect the furniture as their last job of the day, keep it in the van overnight, and deliver it the next day. Might cost a few quid extra for keeping it overnight at their insurance risk..
          She can stop in a hotel/B&B for one night.

If she wants to be bloody minded:

She could tell the agent that she decided to not take the 'offered' early release and will now be staying the extra 14 days for the full term agreed. (Which she would have to pay rent for, probably more than the extra for the movers keeping furniture overnight and a hotel).
          That leaves them with an awkward legal situation; they have agreed to rent out a property that already has a sitting tenant with a valid tenancy agreement.
          No doubt they will agree to let her stay until the 27th (or even the 30th but she wasn't going to do that anyway).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Using a rental guarantee agency
            by Luke
            The agency guy made me an offer which was quite below the market rate , I was considering the offer and two days later he asked me what I have decided to do . I apologized for not replying earlier as I had been busy sorting my tenancy agreement out .
            He replied "You MISUNDERSTOOD I gave...
            24-09-2021, 08:34 AM
          • Using a rental guarantee agency
            by Luke
            I am the LL to a three bedroom property in London which is currently empty as the previous tenants moved out .
            I am having difficulty getting back to the U.K at the moment because I am abroad in a Covid red zone Country ,
            I have contacted an agency who have visited the property and given...
            22-09-2021, 11:54 AM
          • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
            by Worriednow
            Unfortunately I simply renewed the tenancy like I have been on a yearly basis. So when I last renewed with them I didn't give a EPC, we just renewed amicably. It's only since serving the S21 notice that I realised I should have given them the EPC when they renewed last year, except it had already expired...
            24-09-2021, 08:25 AM
          • S21 served expired EPC!
            by Worriednow
            Hi All
            Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but...
            23-09-2021, 20:02 PM
          • Reply to Utilities Account Manager
            by michaelwgroves
            I was with Spark for my home for several years, now park of OVO. I remember it was fine. I might call them to see what they can do...
            24-09-2021, 08:20 AM
          • Utilities Account Manager
            by michaelwgroves
            I have a large portfolio, I got tired of spending ours on the phone each week managing utilities between tenancies. I found a utility company that gave me a dedicated account team. I simply email the tenancy change and it gets sorted. However, there are a few challenges they are struggling to overcome,...
            22-09-2021, 07:15 AM
          • Reply to Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
            by Hooper
            Sounds like a poor LL. But if the damage is not noted on check-in and is listed on check out, then rightly or wrongly the evidence is in LL favour, surely?

If there was damage at check-in and it was not noted on the report, then it is the tenant's responsibility to have the report amended....
            24-09-2021, 08:08 AM
          • Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
            by kankan
            Hello everyone,

After signing the contract, but before moving in, the flat suffered some flood damage. 3 rooms needed repainting because of water stains and paint falling off.
            We were promised that this will be taken care of after moving in. We followed up several times, but the repairs...
            22-09-2021, 19:26 PM
          • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
            by KTC
            Did you give them a copy of it while it was valid, or only after it expired when you served the s21?

"The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant."
            24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
          • Reply to What to do if letting agent stops to pay out
            by jpkeates
            Amended version....
            24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
          Working...
          X