Section 21 received - how much rent to pay in the last month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 21 received - how much rent to pay in the last month?

Hi

I'm a tenant and have received a section 21 to leave "after 7 October 2021". I'm on a statutory periodic tenancy. The tenancy period runs from the 1st of the month and I pay my rent on the 1st. The notes with the section 21 say I may be entitled to a repayment of rent if the tenancy is terminated during a tenancy period. But I really don't want to pay a full months rent on the 1 October if I'm leaving on 7 October, as I don't trust I will see the money back and it seems crazy to pay it on trust! And why does it say "may" rather than "will"? So can I pay £X x (7/31), where £X is the monthly rent? Is that normal / reasonable (and the right calculation)?

Thanks in advance
    Rach.

The calculation should be (monthly rent *12/365 * No. of days) to get the right cost per day.

Comment

The law on this is section 21C Housing Act 1988 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...50/section/21C), inserted by section 40 Deregulation Act 1988 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ion/40/enacted).

The calculation is based on the number of days in the rent period, not the number of days in a year.

Comment

Reading more posts on here, I'm now concerned that the section 21 doesn't end the tenancy / my liability to pay rent. So I could serve notice myself but that would have to end at the end of a month (as rental period starts on the 1st). So I wouldn't be getting the full 4 months notice that I'm entitled to. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Rach1990 View Post
          Reading more posts on here, I'm now concerned that the section 21 doesn't end the tenancy / my liability to pay rent. So I could serve notice myself but that would have to end at the end of a month (as rental period starts on the 1st). So I wouldn't be getting the full 4 months notice that I'm entitled to. Am I missing something?
          You get at least 4 months notice before the landlord can take legal action to regain possession of the property.
          It is not a requirement to have 4 months notice before you actually leave.

You are allowed to negotiate with the landlord about leaving before the notice expires to get a mutually agreeable date and terms..
          You are allowed to negotiate with the landlord about leaving after the notice expires to get a mutually agreeable date and terms..
          You are allowed to serve your own Notice To Quit to end the tenancy before the S21 notice expires.
          You are allowed to serve your own Notice To Quit to end the tenancy after the S21 notice expires.
          You are allowed to do nothing and remain in the property until the LL takes legal action to get you out (but you will be liable for LL's costs).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X