Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royw
    replied
    In your LL's defence finding a decent roofer is a nightmare where I live. You either get a muppet in a reasonable timeframe or wait a long time for a good one. I waited 2 years to get my own roof fixed because I preferred to empty a bucket than have a bodged job. I agree what you have had to put up with is unacceptable and in your position I would ask for a reduction.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Given your LL appears to have employed total Muppets he should be moving you out until the job is done, his LL insurance should have cover for alternative accommodation.

Leave a comment:

• Gary_236
    started a topic Roof Problems

Roof Problems

Been a tenant in my flat for 7 years. Been a great tenant, always pay rent on time. No issues at all. I like the location, it's close to my friends, so everything is fine. The property is a house split into 4 flats. I am top floor flat. New landlord bought property last summer. I started to get a leak in my bedroom onto my bed. I informed the landlord in September 2020, when it first started. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened enough to be annoying. I informed him on 3 different occasions over the next few months.

I understand winter is tricky for a roofing job so eventually Landlord said roofers would be round in May 2021.Fine, no issues. The roofers have been here 3.5 weeks and job still not complete. Is that normal? I thought it would take a week maximum to replace a roof? I'm working from home and the roofers have been so loud. It's very distracting and hard to concentrate. That's just one of those things, the work needs doing but it has been difficult for me.

The problems are the issues. Been a small hole in roof since first few days. Reported it to Landlord, said it would be fixed. Been loads of dirt outside my front door (a little sky window above the door). Landlord said they would clean it. Nothing happened for 2 weeks.

The other day as I was working at home, a roofers leg fell through the roof. A massive hole in the celing. They also fell through in a small enclosed cupboard space, near my bed. Also a large crack in bedroom celing. Informed Landlord he came down, they put a temporary board over the 2 holes. Said a plasterer would be down next day. It rained for 6 hours that night, my bed was soaked. Loads of water came through the 2 large holes, I tried to catch as much in pans as I could. Living room soaked. Bed soaked. Horrendous night.

No plasterers came the next day. However a third large hole occurred when one of the roofers again stepped through celing that day. Plastering people came next day filled in all the holes. Massive stain on carpet from where water came through, that part of the carper was cleaned. Today, was working and came into bedroom and noticed a massive leak on bed again. Bed is completely soaked again. Was told a new mattress would be here today. Now, I have been told it will be tomorrow.

I am hugely disappointed with how this has all went down. I just think it's unacceptable. I understand problems can happen but this has been one thing after another. This has been a nightmare. I feel a rent reduction next month is fair. Would you agree? I pay £500 per month and feel a 50% reduction would be fair, considering the huge problems I have encountered. I typing this now in my room and the bed absolutely stinks, been soaked right through. Thanks for reading.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Using a rental guarantee agency
    by Luke
    The agency guy made me an offer which was quite below the market rate , I was considering the offer and two days later he asked me what I have decided to do . I apologized for not replying earlier as I had been busy sorting my tenancy agreement out .
    He replied "You MISUNDERSTOOD I gave...
    24-09-2021, 08:34 AM
  • Using a rental guarantee agency
    by Luke
    I am the LL to a three bedroom property in London which is currently empty as the previous tenants moved out .
    I am having difficulty getting back to the U.K at the moment because I am abroad in a Covid red zone Country ,
    I have contacted an agency who have visited the property and given...
    22-09-2021, 11:54 AM
  • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
    by Worriednow
    Unfortunately I simply renewed the tenancy like I have been on a yearly basis. So when I last renewed with them I didn't give a EPC, we just renewed amicably. It's only since serving the S21 notice that I realised I should have given them the EPC when they renewed last year, except it had already expired...
    24-09-2021, 08:25 AM
  • S21 served expired EPC!
    by Worriednow
    Hi All
    Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but...
    23-09-2021, 20:02 PM
  • Reply to Utilities Account Manager
    by michaelwgroves
    I was with Spark for my home for several years, now park of OVO. I remember it was fine. I might call them to see what they can do...
    24-09-2021, 08:20 AM
  • Utilities Account Manager
    by michaelwgroves
    I have a large portfolio, I got tired of spending ours on the phone each week managing utilities between tenancies. I found a utility company that gave me a dedicated account team. I simply email the tenancy change and it gets sorted. However, there are a few challenges they are struggling to overcome,...
    22-09-2021, 07:15 AM
  • Reply to Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
    by Hooper
    Sounds like a poor LL. But if the damage is not noted on check-in and is listed on check out, then rightly or wrongly the evidence is in LL favour, surely?

If there was damage at check-in and it was not noted on the report, then it is the tenant's responsibility to have the report amended....
    24-09-2021, 08:08 AM
  • Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
    by kankan
    Hello everyone,

After signing the contract, but before moving in, the flat suffered some flood damage. 3 rooms needed repainting because of water stains and paint falling off.
    We were promised that this will be taken care of after moving in. We followed up several times, but the repairs...
    22-09-2021, 19:26 PM
  • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
    by KTC
    Did you give them a copy of it while it was valid, or only after it expired when you served the s21?

"The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant."
    24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
  • Reply to What to do if letting agent stops to pay out
    by jpkeates
    Amended version....
    24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
Working...
X