Mandating Wifi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    If you want your own router/wifi for the alarms, and the tenants to have their own separate router/wifi for their use then you will need two landlines unless one, or both, of the routers uses a mobile signal rather than a landline.

Probably best for yours to be mobile leaving the landline free for the tenants if they want to use it with a phone as well as a router.
    Something like this tucked away in a cupboard or in the attic: https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-mo...-2020/details#

Nice idea on using a MIFI as it gets around the whole issue of needing access to their wifi in the first place to connect to the smart devices. But then some tenants may also want to get the alerts, which is fine as long as the MIFI device is locked down and can't be used to access the internet for anything else.
    An unlocked MIFI with a PAYG SIM would even be cheaper.

Also theres the whole issue if the fire alarm goes off and no-ones home I would have to make a judgement about the emergency access clause in the tenancy (presumably if I can see smoke or fire then its allowed!).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
      You can manually put them on different wifi chanels to prevent that.
      Almost no one knows which channels interfere with each other, though.
      And smart routers end up hopping all over the place as they adjust to each other.

But, essentially, the router is going to be under the tenant's control, you can't make them use it as you want.
      You're one fairly routine reset from it all not working.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by spicelord View Post
        Also theres the whole issue if the fire alarm goes off and no-ones home I would have to make a judgement about the emergency access clause in the tenancy (presumably if I can see smoke or fire then its allowed!).
        You can always enter in an emergency - no need to put that in the tenancy agreement.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This is a really handy tool to see what channels are being used around you ...

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-...lic-wifi-free/

Comment

I've just got a new router that has a tool like that built into the router management UI.

(I've renamed the wifi network SSID as "Ye Oldie Interweb Thingymabob", should give the neighbours a chuckle).

Comment

Originally posted by spicelord View Post

(presumably if I can see smoke or fire then its allowed!).
              If you can see smoke/fire.

Dial 999

Don't mess around going in yourself, or you could end up in hospital or even worse !
              Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X