Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs

Good afternoon.

I have a tenant at a house for 5 years now and had the chimney outside stack removed in March this year. Prior to this it was an open fire.

am I supposed to replace this with a log burner as it’s very costly for the installation, flue and liner and it’s only secondary heating . My contract just says heating, not specified what type . The rest of the house has night storage heater in it which are compliant with epc rules
    I’m aware some people in general don’t like the costs or use of a nsh as sometimes find wood cheaper but feel it is safer to have a nsh in the long term as adequate and satisfactory heating.

I would be grateful for general advice
    Anthony

Did the tenant agree to losing the fire?
    You're not really meant to change what they're renting without their agreement.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

my tenant had (expensive) propane heating. I removed the gas fire and put in a multi fuel stove and this has been a really good solution as she leaves the gas central heating off and just runs the fire much of the time. Storage heating is awful if you have no other means of heat (even when properly used).
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

The chimney was in poor condition , old and water ingress so been advised best to take down

Comment

The tenant was made aware of this and alternative heating of nsh recommended as rest of property run on nsh.

Comment

Why do landlords refuse to maintain and correct faults. ?

Quote "The chimney was in poor condition" -- Then you FIX it. then you would not be on here asking your question

House I rent ( I let properties as well ), they are the same.

Small knee height wall between rear garden flags and grass -- Oh, you say it wants rebuilding / pointing -- nahh, can't be bothered we will just remove it.
            No you won't I said.

Double driveway gates between house and high boundary wall. and very effective in stopping trespasers ( although there is another plywood door between house and garage, which i made them re-frame ) and gates are VERY effective in hiding / protecting expensive car from view.
            Asked them to re-hang as bolts coming out of brickwork ---- nahh, can't be bothered we will just remove them. No you won't I said.
            Took 2 years to convince to rehang gates with PROPER expansion bolts instead of plastic rawl plugs a bolts.

Got a carbon monoxide alarm just dropped through the letter box with letter stating - you need on of these.

And because I mentioned these things, I get a letter saying, "you can always leave" My thoughts were, No I won't, and did not reply to that letter.

Because I argued the point ( diplomatically - unlike my agressive comments in some of my posts ) that they can't let a property, then start removing items, and the advantages of repairing and not removing, I was not asked to leave.

Am I lucky, - yes and no,

However I have not had a rent rise in 7 years, Mainly because I keep the house exceptionaly well maintained, ( pressure wash flags and paths ) re-treat the decking every year or so ( which is the landlords job ) they know that their next tenant may not be so "house proud"

Comment

Thank you for all the replies

Comment

I wouldn't be happy with a nsh instead of a fire. We have a wood burner in the living room and use little additional heating, it's far more cost effective and warmer for us than CH. If you've knocked the chimney down I think you can't have a wood burner anyway as it requires a chimney?

Comment

No way I would replace or install a solid fuel appliance, way too dangerous and not environmentally friendly. Get some real nice ones on YouTube, that’s what I use at Christmas on TV…has everything…tree, gifts, fire even stockings. Just the job.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Open Rent -Management service - Worth it?
                    by Nomy
                    Has anyone used Openrent's management service?

They have two services - Management Lite and Management Plus. The fee is a flat fee rather than a % but I was wondering if it's really worth it at all....
                    01-08-2021, 22:45 PM
                  • Reply to COVID clause in ASTs
                    by KTC
                    Rather than unfair, I wonder whether it can cause the tenancy to be void for uncertainity if it's somehow worded with the effect of you have a tenancy from X date if the existing tenant moves out, but not if they don't for COVID-19 related reasons.
                    01-08-2021, 20:59 PM
                  • COVID clause in ASTs
                    by Hooper
                    Does anyone have anything in their contracts? E.g. clause limiting liability where outbound tenants have to isolate and can't move out in time for commencement of next tenancy?

Anyone had this happen?
                    30-07-2021, 13:23 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants shilly shallying
                    by Hudson01
                    I think you already know the answer to your question, there are simply too many alarm bells for me, i would pull out and get better prospects and conduct the long standing and sensible checks we all have to do, i am sure you know that if you get a '' wrong un ''...... it will end in tears..... you...
                    01-08-2021, 20:25 PM
                  • Tenants shilly shallying
                    by JK0
                    A couple of weeks ago, my friend introduced me to a potential tenant. She liked the flat, agreed the rent, and we agreed she would move in 1st August. I took a week's rent as deposit.

In view of the lady living some distance away, I gave her the key safe combination, as she wanted to get...
                    01-08-2021, 18:56 PM
                    by ash72
                    Always follow your process (if you have any) with any T referencing, even if they are recommended by someone. Most insurance want this conducted to avoid the policy being void.
                    01-08-2021, 19:33 PM
                    by JK0
                    Oh, I don't know the partner from Adam. I just (foolishly) took my friend's assurance that she is good for the money, and she showed me her passport the other day.
                    01-08-2021, 19:20 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
                    by 45002
                    If utilities bill are in tenant's name, LL will not be able to access anything !

Unless LL tries to put bills in their name .
                    01-08-2021, 19:13 PM
                  • Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
                    by haystack1979
                    Our landlord wants to insert a clause in our tenancy agreement to require us to maintain a temperature of 20 degrees in the house in order to mitigate a damp problem, is this legal? It's a very old place with a kitchen with thick stone walls which is poorly ventilated. The previous owner had the damp...
                    30-07-2021, 11:33 AM
                    by ash72
                    If she wants to move in, then get the money back for the locks being changed. If you referenced both T's and they passed, then I would mark it as teething problems especially if the T hasn't rented previously. I avoid this type of situation by getting the T to sign the tenancy at a pre-agreed date and...
                    01-08-2021, 19:07 PM
                  Working...
                  X