Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmetic damages to appliances

Hi all,

I've tried to find an answer to this here and on the Web but couldn't have anything too useful.

If for example a fridge door was damaged cosmetically, this does not hinder its performance to keep food cold, but it does make letting out the place much more difficult. In such instances, what is a fair way to claim for damage? Let's also assume the cosmetic damage cannot be repaired itself, or would cost nearly as much as a brand new unit.

Thank you.

This in my view is the same as someone scribbling on walls, if someone puts fridge magnets on the fridge and it scratches the fridge there should be a momentary cost for this which is beyond wear and tear. What that value is what you agree with the T or it goes to arbitration to judge on.

Comment

The general (but not universal) principle is that damages cannot exceed loss. You have half anticipated the answer to your question when you say the damage is unlikely to make reletting more difficult. A court is likely to find that there is no loss because the letting value of the property has not been reduced and accordingly no damages should be awarded.

In respect of leases there is a specific rule set out in section 18(1) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927:

Damages for a breach of a covenant or agreement to keep or put premises in repair during the currency of a lease, or to leave or put premises in repair at the termination of a lease, whether such covenant or agreement is expressed or implied, and whether general or specific, shall in no case exceed the amount (if any) by which the value of the reversion (whether immediate or not) in the premises is diminished owing to the breach of such covenant or agreement as aforesaid

Some express doubt as to whether the section applies to contents, but if it does not, the general principle still applies.

Despite the principle, it seems that adjudicators in deposit disputes will award a nominal sum for cosmetic damage.

Comment

You can't claim the cost of brand new replacement only the remaining value calculated from new cost against age / expected life span.
        As you say it will affect the letting potential then the adjudicators ought to allow it but preferable to reach an agreement with tenant

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Has anyone had experience of claiming for such things in the past? If so, how did things go?

Comment

Originally posted by freddycd15 View Post
            Thanks for the replies everyone. Has anyone had experience of claiming for such things in the past? If so, how did things go?
            From memory, landlords have said they have been awarded sums like 20 pounds for visible scratches.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
              by Worriednow
              Unfortunately I simply renewed the tenancy like I have been on a yearly basis. So when I last renewed with them I didn't give a EPC, we just renewed amicably. It's only since serving the S21 notice that I realised I should have given them the EPC when they renewed last year, except it had already expired...
              24-09-2021, 08:25 AM
            • S21 served expired EPC!
              by Worriednow
              Hi All
              Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but...
              23-09-2021, 20:02 PM
            • Reply to Utilities Account Manager
              by michaelwgroves
              I was with Spark for my home for several years, now park of OVO. I remember it was fine. I might call them to see what they can do...
              24-09-2021, 08:20 AM
            • Utilities Account Manager
              by michaelwgroves
              I have a large portfolio, I got tired of spending ours on the phone each week managing utilities between tenancies. I found a utility company that gave me a dedicated account team. I simply email the tenancy change and it gets sorted. However, there are a few challenges they are struggling to overcome,...
              22-09-2021, 07:15 AM
            • Reply to Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
              by Hooper
              Sounds like a poor LL. But if the damage is not noted on check-in and is listed on check out, then rightly or wrongly the evidence is in LL favour, surely?

If there was damage at check-in and it was not noted on the report, then it is the tenant's responsibility to have the report amended....
              24-09-2021, 08:08 AM
            • Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
              by kankan
              Hello everyone,

After signing the contract, but before moving in, the flat suffered some flood damage. 3 rooms needed repainting because of water stains and paint falling off.
              We were promised that this will be taken care of after moving in. We followed up several times, but the repairs...
              22-09-2021, 19:26 PM
              by KTC
              Did you give them a copy of it while it was valid, or only after it expired when you served the s21?

"The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant."
              24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
            • Reply to What to do if letting agent stops to pay out
              by jpkeates
              Amended version....
              24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
            • What to do if letting agent stops to pay out
              by maxima
              I feel my letting agent is going under. He delayed rent payout in last 2 months. And I heard 2 of his other tenants suing him. This month he hasn't send the money for few days.

What's the correct strategy to deal with it? I have no other source of income. How do I plug the money bleeding...
              23-09-2021, 20:26 PM
              by jpkeates
              The requirement is that whoever serves the section 21 notice has complied with regulation 6(5) of the Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012.

Which says that "The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free...
              24-09-2021, 07:56 AM
            Working...
            X