Research lodger or tenant and what's the most suitable lease agreement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research lodger or tenant and what's the most suitable lease agreement?

Hi!

Thanks for resource

Is [this] article still correct/valid?

In my current temporary living arrangement, I almost certainly fall into the "third scenario":
    > However, there is also a third scenario; a half way house between Lodger and Tenant. This is sometimes known as an “Occupier with Basic Protection” or a “Tenant with Restricted Rights” which in reality is a Common Law tenancy. This situation exists where the landlord lives in the same building as the tenant (except a purpose built block of flats) but does not share facilities – the tenant has self-contained accommodation.

How, and from who, do I get authoritative confirmation of my status (i.e. lodger or tenant) so I can use this as grounds to switch from a lodger to a AST agreement?

Hope to hear back

Cheers

[this]: https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/infor...ger-vs-tenant/

Originally posted by ldexterldesign View Post
    How, and from who, do I get authoritative confirmation of my status (i.e. lodger or tenant) so I can use this as grounds to switch from a lodger to a AST agreement?
    You can pay a solicitor or barrister and they will give you an opinion that is authoritative (but not definitive).
    A court would give a definitive answer if the issue was before them.

People on here can offer an opinion.

There's nothing that makes me think that article is out of date.

If you are an occupier with basic protection an AST agreement wouldn't be appropriate either.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for reply

> If you are an occupier with basic protection an AST agreement wouldn't be appropriate either.

Care to elaborate?

Hope to hear back

Cheers

Comment

If you are an occupier with basic protection an AST agreement wouldn't be appropriate either.
        An arrangement between a landlord and an occupier with basic protection is a common law tenancy not an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.
        Having an AST agreement would be misleading.

It would make it appear that the landlord had obligations and the tenant had rights that they don't actually have.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There s a third type of contract a “non-assured shorthold tenancy agreement” which is used if the landlord lives in the same house as you but you do not share facilities with them. This does not provide the protections against eviction, the landlord does not need to protect a deposit and only one months notice is needed to evict. A possession order is needed to evict under this contract but is usually rubber stamped in normal times.

Comment

What is your precise situation? Do you share any facilities with your landlord?

Comment

jpkeates hmm, thanks for elaborating but this doesn't add much to the discussion; it's stating the obvious to me 🙂

Comment

Hi Dreamingofsea,

Thanks for reply

I will look into NASTs, but there doesn't seem to be much info on it - do you know its history?

My situation is a converted garage to a self contained studio flat (i.e. we share the driveway and have separate entrances to separate buildings). My landlord lives on the property but not in my property. Does this answer your question?

Cheers

Comment

NRLA and shelter websites have some info. It sounds like a non-assured shorthold agreement but annexes are a bit of a grey area. Also I don t know if a garage conversion is considered an annex in these circumstances.

Comment

Dreamingofsea

Ahh, thanks for NRLA, I read Shelter

> Also I don t know if a garage conversion is considered an annex in these circumstances

If not simply semantics then care to elaborate?

Hope to hear back

Cheers

Comment

You are in my opinion definately not a lodger because you can get into your accommodation without sharing even an entrance with your landlord. That leaves an AST or a NASTA(common law). I cannot give you a definitive answer because the case law on these situations is very thin on the ground since it rarely comes to court. I doubt even an expert solicitor could give you a definative answer since I think it is a question that would have to be for a court to decide. The landlord (if I was yours) should give a NASTA and get a possession order to evict you but you could defend that possibly by saying you think you have an AST but ultimately I think it would be up to a judge to decide. There have been arguments in the past that annexes are totally separate to a studio in a house and therefore should be an AST. It is a very grey area and I m no expert, I would know more about it if your studio was in the main house. As JPK has advised I would consult a solicitor very experienced in housing law . Have you got a lodger s agreement because that s definately not correct.

Comment

Dreamingofsea

Interesting, yes I imagine case law on property/agreement classification is hazy

> Have you got a lodgers agreement because that's definitely not correct

Yes, an AST was switched to a lodger agreement at the last minute, if I recall for no other reason than my landlord thought it a better fit. I only accepted out of grace and because the lodger agreement seemed OK; if a little terse (too terse in retrospect because it doesn't include anything about ending the let).

Based on today's research I plan to request an AST from my landlord. Naturally, I want to understand my rights in advance of poking that nest.

FYI using [this] tool in every which way possible for my situation yields an AST result so that alone certainly justifies the landlord request I think

Cheers

[this]: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...rights_checker

Comment

There is no legal "lodger" tenancy status that I'm aware of. What most people refer to as lodgers are either excluded tenants or licensees, usually depending on whether they have exclusive possession of any rooms.

Comment

jpkeates hmm, thanks for elaborating but this doesn't add much to the discussion; it's stating the obvious to me 🙂
                            Apologies for that.

Would you prefer an answer that is more palatable, but wrong?

Comment

Admin, please approve my previous post so the conversation can proceed

If there's a problem then let me know so I can fix it

Thanks in advance

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address
                                by Purple80
                                Thank you for your response. I had just served a letter stating if they dont pay the arrears, i will have to take court action. Maybe that prompted them to leave.
                                I have access now but do not have a forwarding address. If I go via MCOL or court, can you advise on the process please?
                                30-11-2021, 12:25 PM
                              • Reply to Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address
                                by theartfullodger
                                You will presumably already served s8g8,10,11. Maybe more than once

Follow up that through court or go McoL.

Do you have access after locks changed? Did they change th back before leaving? Any of their goods left behind?...
                                30-11-2021, 12:08 PM
                              • Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address
                                by Purple80
                                Can I please get some advise on tenants who did not pay the rent for 6 months and have now moved out without providing a forwarding address.
                                They breached the terms of the contract:
                                - Rent arrears for six months
                                - Pet in the apartment when there is a strict no pet policy on the development...
                                30-11-2021, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                                by llplug
                                I can't seem to reason with tenants, seems intent on legal action which is bewildering.
                                Does anyone know what these "no win, no fee" types actually take/make? Would I end up paying penalty + there legal fees?
                                Do I sit back and wait or as jpkeates suggests, get in quick with the...
                                30-11-2021, 10:48 AM
                              • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                                by jpkeates
                                Thanks for the update, good to know.
                                30-11-2021, 10:05 AM
                              • MCOL & PCOL
                                by OS7
                                Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                                04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                              • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                                by OS7
                                Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                                30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by AndrewDod
                                Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                                29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                              • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by Bert1e
                                Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                                28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                                by jpkeates
                                There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                                That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                                29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                              Working...
                              X