Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damp in flat

Hi,

Looking for some advice. Have rented privately for 8+ years and always had a good relationship with landlord/managing agent but unfortunately that isn’t the case in my current property where we’ve had so many issues that are just completely ignored.

Current issue is that 2-3 weeks ago there was a blocked internal pipe causing quite a big leak under the building. Since then we’ve got quite bad damp in every room of the flat and the paint is crumbling. It’s a basement flat so not many windows for ventilation either. The landlord has basically said it’s been caused by saturated earth under the building because of the leak and nothing can be done about it until the earth drys, we just need to live with it.

Any advice on whether A) there is really nothing that can be done about something like this and B) whether the response of just living with damp in every room h til it drys is reasonable and if not, what can be done?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

What caused the leak?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      What caused the leak?
      It was a blocked internal pipe which leaked but the pipe comes from the flats above I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicktim View Post
        The landlord has basically said it’s been caused by saturated earth under the building because of the leak and nothing can be done about it until the earth drys, we just need to live with it.
        If the landlord also happens to be a qualified buildings engineer then i would take his opinion more seriously........ i feel it is safe to assume that he is not ! I would be looking for a professional assessor to come in and inspect the place to give a time scale for this drying out/any other reasons etc, it could be months or longer, i do not feel it is acceptable to live in a totally damp flat without some kind of idea of timescale, if it gets worse then the landlords insurance should be re-housing you in alternative accommodation until the place is fit to live in. The local authorities environmental health dept also may be able to help if it is that bad, obviously I, and others on this forum, have not seen how bad it is, but it sounds awful and not a place i would wish to live in.

Comment

You can speed up the drying out process with fans to change the air quicker. In hot weather they do more good than dehumidifiers. Unless you have a dra ught it wont dry out. In the longer run you need to be sure its not going to happen again. As its not your fault if it gets properly dry ask for payment to redecorate.

Comment

I would definitaly suggest trying a dehumidifer - I find that they actually work best in warm weather. If you are emptying it multiple times a day then get another one.

Comment

Alternatively just give notice and move. They should be providing humidifiers and either reducing your rent or paying the increase in energy bills, and coming up with a timetable for repairs, plus the building should be surveyed by a suitably qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X