Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    I dont know why you thought Artfuls comments weren't helpful. Landlord forums are full of posts about rent not being paid after the tenants death because its not clear who has the responsibility to surrender the tenancy or they are too pre-occupied to get around to it, or because a Son or grandson decides to move in and persuades them not to act. It's a serious consideration!

Leave a comment:

• Piffy
    replied
    Originally posted by rewdan View Post
    Hi, does anyone see a downside to granting a 1 year ast to a single man in his late 90s. I'm aware if he dies the estate pays the rent but anything else to be aware of?
    Ask for a Guarantor, son daughter ?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    You are on a landlord forum stating that you would not pay the landlord if it was you, What kind of tenant would you make?
    Not quite would not pay, I said I'd try not to pay.... What kind of tenant? I'm a lodger, not an tenant, as my ID may well suggest: (my rented properties in my sole name, we live in a house owned solely by the wife).

When I started as a landlord, 2000 (after brief foray in the early '80s..). Thought I knew what I was doing: Expensive, painful, complicated, legally tricky mistakes: Oh the stupidity! Oh my Hubris! Resolved to learn, started training, still learning, still making mistakes.

Welcome to LLZ

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I apologize to the artfullodger, the sober comment wasn't directed directly at him and I hope he didn't take it that way.
    Welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful!

Leave a comment:

• rewdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post

There's a clear implication that the person you replied to was not sober.

Please read the forum rules, and also understand that on a public forum you will receive comment that you might not agree with or might think irrelevant. You have the option to report posts which you believe breach the forum rules, but to respond in the antagonistic way you have done, and to tell people not to continue to reply, is not acceptable.
    I apologize to the artfullodger, the sober comment wasn't directed directly at him and I hope he didn't take it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Moderator2
    replied
    I didn't accuse anyone of being drunk, I invited comments from sober people. I honestly can't see anything wrong with that.
    There's a clear implication that the person you replied to was not sober.

Please read the forum rules, and also understand that on a public forum you will receive comment that you might not agree with or might think irrelevant. You have the option to report posts which you believe breach the forum rules, but to respond in the antagonistic way you have done, and to tell people not to continue to reply, is not acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• rewdan
    replied
    Thank you for you reply, the first 4 paragraphs are exactly the type of information I was looking for in the first place coupled with the other posts of several people. Particularly on the downside of an old tenant.

I thank you for that, it's all I ever wanted or asked for in my post.

Maybe I should have been clearer at the beginning that I am aware of the legal position, I was more interested in the perspective of landlords with experience of old tenants.

As to the other paragraphs, I didn't accuse anyone of being drunk, I invited comments from sober people. I honestly can't see anything wrong with that. But an executor of a will that would try it on, as your friend would do....my mums done many and believe me she would make sure the bills were paid

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I am aware that the tenancy doesn't end with the death of a tenant (or indeed a landlord).
    But thank you for the link.

Notwithstanding that, a very common outcome of the death of a tenant is that the rent ceases to be paid.
    That may be because the tenant's estate aren't aware of the situation, it may be that the deceased's bank account is simply frozen, or it may be that the estate simply stops paying.
    If there's no will, for a period there's no one to actually make the payment.

And, as I said, as a landlord you are then faced with both interacting with and potentially suing grieving individuals.
    And you may have no idea who or where they are.

It's a frustratingly common problem.

You asked for things you should be aware of.
    Someone responded, with something you were not aware of (and still seem to be refusing to accept).
    And your response was to accuse the person of being drunk.
    And you don't seem to see anything wrong with that, which is odd.

I have "things" stronger than idiot, but it's the appropriate description.

Leave a comment:

• rewdan
    replied
    https://landlordlawblog.co.uk/2014/0...se%20(if%20any).

Leave a comment:

• rewdan
    replied
    I am a landlord as I am guessing others on this forum are, you openly stated that as executor of an estate you would try not to pay such an outstanding debt of rent. Are you trying to make friends with other landlords by openly admitting you would not honour the debt to the tenant as is your responsibility as executor of the estate.
    You are on a landlord forum stating that you would not pay the landlord if it was you, What kind of tenant would you make?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Completely agree with jpk.

Rewdan, thank for your kind words regarding myself.

Do you have any elderly relatives please?

Best wishes to all decent members.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    rewdan
    BTW if you want to stop seeing what I post, there's an ignore list in the account section of your user settings.
    I'm sure you won't be the only user with my name in there.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    please, if you have nothing constructive to say, then don't say anything. Rather like the first reply to my question, totally unhelpful and even suggesting he would break the law in an attempt to not pay outstanding monies owed. And I'm the idiot! Stop wasting every ones time.
    Sorry, I must have missed the memo announcing your takeover of the forum and the new rules we have to operate under.

The response you objected to was a sensible response to your request for input.

If you really think that someone not paying rent is "break[ing] the law", you need a lot more help than you think.

Experience is that the most likely immediate outcome of a tenant dying is the rent stops being paid.
    Many people are uncomfortable with suing grieving people for rent arrears, so the lost rent is a business risk,

So that's definitely something you should probably "be aware of".

To denigrate the response as "unhelpful" and to accuse the person responding of not being "sober" is offensive.
    While you can be excused the former as ignorance, I don't know how you think the latter could possibly be OK.

You were wrong about the quality of the response, you insulted someone and managed to hack me off enough to respond as I did (which is extraordinarily difficult to do).
    And then you doubled down and went again.

So, yes, I think you're an idiot.
    And apologies for "wasting everyone's time" once more.

Leave a comment:

• rewdan
    replied
    Originally posted by landlord-man View Post
    ^^^^ 100% agree with JPK ^^^^
    and I'd appreciate it if you kept quiet too. I am only interested in constructive comments to my post.

Leave a comment:

• rewdan
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I, like the forum member you decided to insult, am sober.

My comment is that you are a rude idiot who doesn't deserve to be helped.
    Good luck.
    please, if you have nothing constructive to say, then don't say anything. Rather like the first reply to my question, totally unhelpful and even suggesting he would break the law in an attempt to not pay outstanding monies owed. And I'm the idiot! Stop wasting every ones time.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Boundary fence
    by nukecad
    Note that just because your deeds say that you are responsible for maintaining the fence that doesn't make it your fence, just your responsibility.

His deeds may also have a similar clause saying that he is responsible for maintaining the fence, so is also assuming that it's his fence....
    24-09-2021, 15:38 PM
  • Boundary fence
    by Ollyn
    Hello,

On my Deeds, it shows which fence is my responsibility, and I have always maintained it.

My new neighbour acquired the property next door, and later, without my knowledge or prior agreement, removed the fence completely, and replaced it with a lower one.

23-09-2021, 09:06 AM
  • Holes in walls
    by Pocahontas
    Hello

What is the general consensus for letting tenant put holes in the walls for things such as pictures, paintings etc?

Is it a straight no? Or do you allow some leeway?...
    24-09-2021, 15:32 PM
  • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
    by jpkeates
    No you don't.
    I suspect that one day a court will interpret the law so that you will have to (which is one reason to avoid replacement tenancies), but the wording of the legislation is helpful.

The section 21 restrictions simply say that the landlord has to have complied with regulation...
    24-09-2021, 15:15 PM
  • S21 served expired EPC!
    by Worriednow
    Hi All
    Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but...
    23-09-2021, 20:02 PM
  • Reply to If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
    by darkdev
    Yes it does seem ridiculous I know, I guess theres a slight further complication in that:

- I have rent insurance, so perhaps whilst evicting I will still get rent, whilst I also try to make the necessary repairs.
    - I'm also considering how I would access the deposit that was left,...
    24-09-2021, 15:03 PM
  • If I issue a section 8 and its not contested, will I definitely get the warrant?
    by darkdev
    I have a tenant on a long lease (12 months to run), I need to evict them with a section 8 which will be focused on the fact they were running a cannabis farm. Tenants seem to have run off, haven't heard from them in 3 weeks. If as you might expect they don't contest the eviction, will I definitely...
    22-09-2021, 12:42 PM
    by Worriednow
    Fair enough, I think I was very clear, I served a S21 on the tenants in May with an EPC that had already expired unbeknown to me at the time. Although this was served by the agent apparently as a landlord I can't claim ignorance.

Legislation states that a landlord cannot serve a valid section...
    24-09-2021, 14:45 PM
    by KTC
    With greatest of respect to the lawyer you spoke to, [citation needed].

I don't think anyone here would dispute that a valid EPC needed to have been given to the tenant BEFORE the service of the s21. But if the statement is that a valid s21 need to be in place at the time of service...
    24-09-2021, 14:39 PM
    by Worriednow
    ????????????...
    24-09-2021, 14:13 PM
Working...
X