Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    Based on the info from the PM it’s an incomplete draft agreement that would need changes to complete before the tenant signed, including the start date.
    The tenant can’t simply complete it and sign it for it to be valid.

There’s no contract, and if the tenant tries to enforce it, they’ll almost certainly fail.
    And, as they have no loss to compensate and could, therefore, only seek to compel performance (so the small claims track shouldn’t apply), I can’t see any solicitor being prepared to take the case.

Leave a comment:

• North1970
    replied
    The tenancy agreement hasn’t been signed by the prospective tenant and we haven’t signed it either.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Sure, technically you can withdraw the offer before the prospective tenant signs the contract, but as once stated by I think Lawcruncher on another thread, there's nothing you can do to stop the tenant from claiming they had already signed the contract by the time you inform them you are withdrawing your offer. If they physically have the contract to be signed, it's probably too late to change your mind unless the contract are set up to required to be exchanged.

Leave a comment:

• North1970
    replied
    Sent you a PM theartfullodger

Leave a comment:

• North1970
    replied
    Sent you a PM jpkeates

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Originally posted by North1970 View Post
    Hi, hope someone can help. If a tenancy has been offered and a draft tenancy issued but nothing has signed, can the landlord u-turn and change his mind (if he has found out that the prospective tenant has not been truthful)?
    Yes, I'm afraid so, the Landlord can change his mind for any reason until the contract is agreed and understandably so if you have lied

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by North1970 View Post
    Hi, hope someone can help. If a tenancy has been offered and a draft tenancy issued but nothing has signed, can the landlord u-turn and change his mind (if he has found out that the prospective tenant has not been truthful)?
    There are two separate points there.

Mechanically, if you have given the tenant a tenancy agreement and they agree it (the conventional way of doing that is to sign it), the chances are it's a valid contract even without a countersignature (unless there is a clause in the contract that says it's not valid without both signatures, and even then it is likely to be valid).
    By supplying the agreement, you've made an offer and the contract is made by the tenant accepting the offer.

If the tenant changes the agreement, for example, by crossing something out, there's no offer, so there's no contract.

As a separate point, if the tenant has only received the offer because they've misled you, you don't have to honour the agreement that you've entered into.
    It's theoretically possible for the tenant to try and force you to agree to honour the agreement, but I can't imagine a court going along with it if they've been offered something based on false information (and more realistically, I can't imagine the tenant even trying).

I'd politely tell the tenant that you have reason to believe that something they told you is not accurate and that, consequently, your offer of a tenancy is withdrawn.

The important thing is to not give the tenant access to the property, otherwise there's both a contract and a tenancy, which is much harder to unwind.

Leave a comment:

• North1970
    replied
    Tenant hasn’t moved in yet, the draft hasn’t been signed.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    A tenancy does not need to be in writing. Verbal is entirely legal. So, e.g., if someone moved in, paid rent, obviously lived there it's a tenancy, and probably a judge would conclude the wording of the draft applied. What are your circumstances please?

Leave a comment:

• North1970
    replied
    Am I right in thinking it is not valid/legal unless it has been signed by both parties?

Leave a comment:

• North1970
    started a topic Advice

Advice

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electrical Wiring Query
    by FindaLot
    Currys CFSEWH17. This model requires a 4mm cable minimum. There is no PAT test label. The LL was asked through the LA if they wanted to carry out a PAT, but after two times of asking, the answer was returned that no, they did not.
    17-09-2021, 18:14 PM
  • Electrical Wiring Query
    by FindaLot
    If an appliance has been wired in a wholly unsuitable manner that has been deemed "unsafe", thus making it a potential safety hazard, what particular regulations would be applicable? There appears to be some overlap here, such as the General Product Safety Regs, Electrical Equipment Safety...
    16-09-2021, 19:42 PM
    by Neelix
    just give the forum the make and model…

you could be saying I need to fuel my car but won’t say if it’s EV, petrol, diesel or hydrogen!

and if this is a rental has it got a current PAT test label?...
    17-09-2021, 15:58 PM
    by FindaLot
    It’s not a moulded plug, no.

I do not require any further advice on the technicalities of the wiring. The information I have been provided by by trusted parties is satisfactory.

What I am trying to ascertain is the regulations that would be applicable in this instance. Do...
    17-09-2021, 15:54 PM
    by Neelix
    make and model of oven?

or is your goal to get dubious advice off the internet to try and bash your LL over the head with

and is this a moulded plug?...
    17-09-2021, 15:18 PM
    by FindaLot
    For what reason?

It’s definitely 1mm. The opinions of four different parties have all concurred that it is unsafe. It is the incorrect cable. This has also been confirmed....
    17-09-2021, 15:02 PM
  • Reply to Annex
    by Neelix
    So you go on holiday and your home is securely locked.

a circuit in the annex trips ….

what then?
    17-09-2021, 14:41 PM
  • Annex
    by Lammas13
    I have a self contained annex, it has kitchen, shower, toilet and own entrance from the alleyway.
    when we bought our house it was already there. It was build with proper planning permission.
    How do I go about renting it out. Washing machine would have to be shares in the main house. ...
    15-09-2021, 17:44 PM
    by Neelix
    hum, that I would dispute...
    17-09-2021, 14:39 PM
    by Neelix
    possibly the correct cable, is it actually 1mm or 1.5mm

what make and model is the oven?

Your opening post is totally misleading...
    17-09-2021, 14:39 PM
Working...
X