The Bailiffs Are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck. The nightmare is over for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
      Good luck. The nightmare is over for you.
      I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the wait will not be too long for you and others here.

Comment

On a different topic, I’ve been asked by someone on an unrelated forum whether I can point them in the direction of good articles/documents explaining the likely changes in residential letting (in England) over the next few years as it sounds like they have a family member drifting towards being a naive landlord. Any links to good articles etc? I suppose they’re looking for changes/abolition of S21, what changes to EPC requirements etc will mean for landlords and so on.
        I will also be recommending that said family member should look to the NRLA for good background education.
        Thanks SJY.

Comment

The NRLA would be a good source of that kind of future thinking.
          The problem is that so much is promised/threatened and then just doesn't happen.
          And stuff that's never been mentioned drops out of the sky.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Slackjawedyokel

Best wishes to you.

Comment

We Have Possession!!!🎉🥳.

We also have a house in a very poor, filthy state that (despite the big van on Saturday) is still crammed with stuff. Alas it will take much more than the deposit to hire skips for it. Hey Ho; it’s a RESULT!

Comment

Also, we had one of our now ex(!)tenants on the phone this morning saying that there was still soooo much to pack up/ could they have a bit more time? Well, no! If 20 months wasn’t long enough, you aren’t getting longer on the day the bailiffs call.

Comment

glad to hear that your tenants left. secure your property and never let them tenants near it anymore. good luck

Could I ask if the house was empty of people when the bailiffs got there? just asking as I am worried about what I am going to face with it when the bailiffs visit my tenants.
                  what really happened at your property during eviction - was it like in channel 4 slum landlords, nightmare tenants!

Comment

Originally posted by Slackjawedyokel View Post
                    We Have Possession!!!🎉🥳.
                    Good to know.
                    Well done - hope for others in similar situations.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Slackjawedyokel Oh what a relief! I've been following your story and you must be so pleased to finally have your house back. Change the locks and don't let them back in. I experienced similar with non paying, destructive, tenant back in 2019. So stressful. I've sold the property now. Good luck

Comment

Slackjaeedyokel - Congratulations ! The main thing they are out. The rest can be sorted.

OS7 - your eviction day is also very soon. Hope they T. leaves before the bailiffs come.

I am still in the process of waiting for the docs which never arrived to my solicitor.

Comment

Hi OS7, we had one of the tenants on the phone earlier this morning saying that they were getting packed up but there was still such a lot to do that they’d need a bit more time and it was all making them very stressed. They seemed surprised when we pointed out that the bailiff was coming at 11.30 so the tenant could talk to the bailiff then if they like. I was half expecting some kind of health crisis / vulnerability plea when the bailiff arrived - fortunately that didn’t happen.
                          The locksmith arrived in our farmyard ~20 minutes before the eviction time, so I had a chat with him then my mum and I walked the 300m or so down the lane to the cottage (mum is on the TA as the landlord).The bailiff had just arrived. We stayed 100m or so up the lane until the tenants left in their car, a few minutes before the appointment time. The bailiff went into the house to check that no one was left in the property while the locksmith changed the locks (easy; just euro cylinders). The bailiff said his formal bit about possession being returned to us and that was that.

I’d arranged for the letting agent to be there shortly afterwards so she did her formal bit (checking inventory items, electric reading etc), and she also went around taking photos of everything. I think the tenants are moving into a small flat (from a 3 bed house). It looks like they’ve taken most of the main bedroom furniture (but not their wardrobe) and most of their living room furniture but not much else. Two bedrooms are crowded with furniture and belongings, all of the cupboards are crammed, the kitchen cupboards are crammed, the pantry is crammed with stuff. This is going to take several large skips to get rid of. I’m not sure whether a house clearance company may be a better way forward, once the ex tenants have been given time to collect their stuff. We will have to spend massively more than the deposit to dispose of the left stuff, so I’m trying to find out where they are moving to in preparation for a future MCOL claim.

As I’d feared, the place is in a REALLY bad state. It’s a 100yr old cottage with thick masonry walls and I know that (having lived there myself for over a decade) if you do nothing to mitigate it, black mould spots will start to appear in certain cold places such as the top of the walls in the bathroom. This was another worry with these tenants; early in their tenancy they were getting problems with black mould growing in the most extraordinary places such as the wall at the top of the staircase; fully internal walls that are not getting damp from outside. They have consistently refused to ventilate the house; it’s very unusual to see one window open a crack even when it’s 25+degrees outside. Given that the LA hasn’t been doing inspections due to Covid, I was braced for there being some black mould, but it really is another level with a lot of mould on ceilings etc in the less used bedrooms. I’m surprised that anyone could live in those conditions without rapidly developing health issues.

Oh well, they’ve gone. I’ve got a local builder we know coming round later so I can sound out my ideas for the future!

Comment

Slackjawedyokel - I was gripped by the story ! You can turn into a writer now. I can imagine the relief after they have gone and you can move on with your plans. All the best.

Comment

Slackjawedyokel
                              Thanks so much for the info. I had a bit emotional moment reading what the tenants have done to your property. But you are right - you have got your property back and that's the most important thing. Glad to hear some stress is off your back and you can move on with things .

In my case, I am unsure how my tenants would react. The last property inspection that my agents did in April was good and house was tidy. There was no complaints. However that was before the warrant was issued. I am worried as the dates comes closer for the bailiff visit, the tenants may react badly. We will see.

Good luck and best wishes for continued success.
                              Ta

Comment

Really great news !!!! The first of many to come for others i hope.

I am continually surprised that tenants have no clue on what causes black mold, and how a lack of heat, too much moisture and no ventilation can lead to ' issues ''. I am of the mind that any future tenants will have to sign a separate sheet of paper referencing the booklet i have on how to avoid mold and damp, confirming they have read it ..... and more importantly, understand it !!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X