Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Yes.
    Ideally you don't want them to leave anything.
    The risk is that something is "stolen" while the goods are in your custody.
    Then, when they arrive with a van or whatever, they can choose to make multiple trips and move it all, or they can put it all in storage or whatever. Anything left later could be put into a skip. Would that approach come back to bite me?[/QUOTE]It shouldn't.
    But the main point is to ensure that it's clear that its their risk if they leave anything behind.
    I'd confirm, for example, that people will be in the property unsupervised after they leave.

[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thankyou. With hindsight I should have been more forceful with the letter we sent to the tenants last week. I should have pointed out that while we will endeavour to meet an appointment for them to collect stuff, due to other priorities (which can change at short notice) that cannot be guaranteed. I should have said that everything left behind would be placed outside for one appointment, lest they want stuff in dribs and drabs, and I should have said that anything left behind in the house (or outside after it has been placed there) is done so at their own risk. I feel another letter coming on...

I have a large number of strong, clean, waterproof sacks. If stuff is left, I’ll place any smaller loose items into sacks (except obviously fragile stuff) so it will be quicker/easier to place outside when the time comes.

I think we will yet come under pressure from these tenants or their family later this week; that they have somewhere but they just need a few more days, week or two tops, to get out and would we please consider calling it off for now blah blah. (Same as they said before Christmas 2019). No!

Comment

Originally posted by Slackjawedyokel View Post
      If the tenants are evicted but most of their stuff is left in the house, would the best strategy be to wait until they make an appointment to collect some of their items then start early and put EVERYTHING carefully out in the side of the road
      At an eviction, I once asked an ex-tenant if they wanted help moving their things out. When they agreed, I removed EVERYTHING (none too carefully) onto the street outside. The county court bailiff witnessed them agreeing to it.

Comment

I’ve sent them this letter:

Dear Mr and Mrs Xxxxx,

Further to our letter dated 12 June, we would like to repeat that all of your belongings should be removed from the property prior to the bailiffs appointment.

In the event that belongings are still in the house after the appointment, this would be fully at your own risk. People will be in the house unsupervised after this time, therefore you should leave nothing precious or valuable in the house. There are storage facilities available in Xxxxxx which you may wish to use (uholdthekey.co.uk).

As previously stated, any belongings left in the house will be disposed of 21 days after the bailiffs appointment at your cost. You will have no access to the property following the bailiffs appointment. Should you wish to collect any belongings that may be left, you should get in touch (xxxxxxxx@gmail.com). We will endeavour to remove all of your belongings from the property for collection at a time that we are available, however our availability is limited and our plans can change at short notice. We are unable to guarantee to meet any removal appointment made, as other priorities may come in the way. We will endeavour to move items carefully, but we can accept no liability for any belongings that may be damaged in that process.

We would like once again to recommend the use of a storage facility where you would have unlimited access to your belongings.

Yours Sincerely

Comment

I think you're over complicating it and making unnecessary commitments.

Comment

Boletus - Is the eviction process slow or fast from your experience ?

Comment

bailiffs are there to enforce a court order. they cannot take sides. They implement a court order to get you back in possesion of your property.

People are evicted, and not personal effects,
              Thats your problem with personal effects.

Write the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                I think you're over complicating it and making unnecessary commitments.
                Ah ok. That’s unfortunate because the aim was to make things less complicated for us while fulfilling the requirement to make reasonable efforts to reunite ex tenants with their stuff.
                I don’t overly mind ‘storing’ their stuff in the house for 3 weeks (I’m not planning on re-letting) so that’s no big expense.

I can’t stop the tenants from leaving stuff in the house, but I can encourage them not to, by suggesting alternatives and by making it clear that the return of property will be at least partly on our terms. Making it clear that we don’t accept liability for loss or damage of any items left seemed like a decent, back-covering exercise also.

Comment

I think the only thing you need to say in your letter is in paragraph 1 - 'please remove your possessions before the bailiffs' appointment on xxx date'. But all the other paragraphs are perfectly helpful and reasonable. It's worth checking the Tenancy Agreement to see if it mentions anything about how many days you have to store the tenant's possessions. I think 14 days is common. If so, you can give them that time to collect their things.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
                    Boletus - Is the eviction process slow or fast from your experience ?
                    The last full blown bailiff eviction I did was well before Covid. Using section 21 to evict a non paying, ASB, violent, drug dealing tenant's new boyfriend who made the neighbours' lives hell.

Even so, with calm hindsight, the timescale was fairly reasonable.

Section 8 on the other hand, is completely unfit for purpose.

Comment

Some good news today. My letting agent says they were contacted to provide a reference for my tenants, as they are looking to move into a PRS flat. The LA made it clear to my tenants that the reference would make very poor reading because the tenants are in arrears and have been for quite a long time (since at least early last year). The tenants promptly paid off all of their arrears (!) and received from our LA what I understand was an honest reference. So all good, and I would imagine the tenants will get their deposit back.

Quick question; now that the deposit will not be paying for arrears, if there’s a quantity of the tenants belongings left after 3 weeks (the time when I have notified them that leftover belongings will be disposed of at their cost), could I deduct from the deposit for skips etc?

No sign of any packing happening so far. Oh well- they’ve got until Monday morning...

Comment

Quick question; now that the deposit will not be paying for arrears, if there’s a quantity of the tenants belongings left after 3 weeks (the time when I have notified them that leftover belongings will be disposed of at their cost), could I deduct from the deposit for skips etc?.
                        Yes, you can.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Quick question; now that the deposit will not be paying for arrears, if there’s a quantity of the tenants belongings left after 3 weeks (the time when I have notified them that leftover belongings will be disposed of at their cost), could I deduct from the deposit for skips etc?
                          Call me a miserable old man, but with all the s*** they have thrown at you over the months, I would be looking for any excuse to make deductions from their deposit.....

Comment

T-minus 11 hours and our tenants are spending their last night in the house. Fortunately it seems that they are moving out; there was a large white van outside yesterday. Fingers crossed for the bailiff appointment in the morning.

Comment

Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly.

Comment

All the very best........ you are in the vanguard of many more to come.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit dispute
                                  by Worried landlady
                                  Thank you. Yes we did. ( I worked in a school so am expert blu tac remover!!) The paintwork - emulsion had a slight texture and the blu tac ( green tac) was stuck in the texture and had to be sanded and all repainted....
                                  18-10-2021, 15:14 PM
                                • Deposit dispute
                                  by Worried landlady
                                  My tenant is disputing the amount i am charging for
                                  clearing the garden of ivy and brambles, she hadn’t touched it for the whole years tenancy
                                  Broken kitchen tap- operating handle missing
                                  removal of shattaf fitted without permission which had leaked all over floor, under floor and...
                                  18-10-2021, 11:29 AM
                                  by Worried landlady
                                  Ivy comes through from next door. Tenant had left it to grow all over path and steps. Brambles in privacy area with woodland trees. Tenant had allowed them to grow over steps and block path to bins. Contractor charged £84 for cut down and dispose of plus 2 large bins of weeds to tip....
                                  18-10-2021, 15:10 PM
                                • Section 21 abolition - timetable
                                  by Kape65
                                  I know that abolishing Section 21 is not yet a done deal but is looking likely. Do we know when the governments white paper is likely to show it's face and how long after that before we will not be able to use Section 21 ( a crystal ball question I know ). I'm hoping to repossess at least one more property...
                                  18-10-2021, 14:30 PM
                                • Reply to Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                                  by jpucng62
                                  Whatever the outcome of your personal situation it does highlight why LLs won't take tenants who don't meet their affordability criteria - with or without a guarantor. That is bad news for low income tenants.
                                  18-10-2021, 14:22 PM
                                • Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                                  by gnicholls
                                  Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some advice on the following. I'm acting as a guarantor for a friend who has been living in a flat that has turned out to be a bit of a hole. Based on the below I'm looking to understand whether I should just pay the missing rent and have...
                                  17-10-2021, 01:02 AM
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  You've got good evidence with inventory and photos, agreed by tenant, at tenancy start and then similar evidence at end? And photos of eg garden issues you describe?
                                  18-10-2021, 14:08 PM
                                • Reply to Landlord dispute - As guarantor I'm on the hook for missing payments
                                  by Hooper
                                  I use guarantees quite a lot and would not have thought that was enforceable. For starters, it is not a deed. It also does ensure that you have been made aware of the significant implications of acting as guarantor. That said, my views on what constitutes a valid guarantee have been somewhat influenced...
                                  18-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                                • Reply to Money Claim Telephone Hearing
                                  by bethy
                                  Hi there, sorry to hear you also have this. I feel like mine was a bit of a car crash as none of the paperwork was there so it got a bit 'he said/she said'. But other than that it was pretty fair.

I was asked to outline the situation as I saw it and what had happened to date. Then the defendants...
                                  18-10-2021, 13:49 PM
                                • Money Claim Telephone Hearing
                                  by rapid111111
                                  S21 was issued, tenants left, has 9 months rent arrears amounting to over 10k+. The hearing review (which I wasn't called for or required to attend) progressed onto a money claim telephone hearing which is coming up as there was no longer a need for a possession claim. So I guess that means everything...
                                  12-10-2021, 09:55 AM
                                Working...
                                X