The Bailiffs Are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that’s about half of the tenants’ time up (the bailiffs delivered their notice last Wednesday and the appointment is next Monday). It’s all very quiet: nothing much to report. The tenants are still in situ. They have perhaps been away in their car a little more than usual (looking at council houses??) but I haven’t heard anything back from the housing officer via my agent. No sign of packing or anything yet. I will not try to follow the tenants in their car, but if a removals van turns up, I might happen to be around when it moves off...

We’ll see what happens. Maybe they’re planning to reason with the bailiffs when they arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Slackjawedyokel View Post
      (looking at council houses??) .
      Good luck on that one..... i work closely with the council/housing associations in my job, and finding a decent (or otherwise) council property is near on impossible, all the decent stuff went long ago under right to buy, what is left is what no-one would wish to live in, even so it is being fought over like scraps from a table..... so tragic.

Unless they have some kind of vulnerability..... disabled children etc then they will be in emergency accommodation..... aka, staying with the drug users, ex offenders, drunks etc.

I have visited a few of the ex hotels they place them in, it is awful to see, there a decent people having to stay in one room with all manner of nastiness in the next room. If only those who go into arrears could see what they may end up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

Good luck on that one..... i work closely with the council/housing associations in my job, and finding a decent (or otherwise) council property is near on impossible, all the decent stuff went long ago under right to buy, what is left is what no-one would wish to live in, even so it is being fought over like scraps from a table..... so tragic.

Unless they have some kind of vulnerability..... disabled children etc then they will be in emergency accommodation..... aka, staying with the drug users, ex offenders, drunks etc.

I have visited a few of the ex hotels they place them in, it is awful to see, there a decent people having to stay in one room with all manner of nastiness in the next room. If only those who go into arrears could see what they may end up with.
        That’s the slightly weird thing; I understand that this couple have been eligible for council housing for over a year and are on the priority list. I’m not sure exactly why; maybe their age as they are an older couple, maybe medical conditions that I’m not aware of (we suspect they are alcoholics in a genteel way, but I doubt they have sought any help for that). Anyway, via my agent I know that the council housing officer lost patience with them some time ago. After initially encouraging them to look at properties and ‘bid’ on them, she laid it on the line to my tenants later last year when I was applying for the PO; she told my tenants to get on and apply for other properties otherwise the matter would be in the hands of the bailiffs and the council would only be able to put them in a hostel. I’m also aware that in the last few months the HO has tried again to contact my tenants to encourage them to bid on ‘good, suitable’ council properties which were available. My tenants did not speak to her or return her messages.

Heaven knows whether my tenants will be around a week on Monday. Maybe they will have developed covid symptoms. Maybe they will appeal to the bailiffs on the grounds that they are vulnerable. Ho hum, we will see. I’m past feeling sorry for them.

Comment

Remember that bailiffs are used to their jobs.
          While Covid is a bit of a wildcard and is obviously new, they've heard pretty much every possible excuse.

And, as before, most "evictions" take place at an empty house.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Well, I had the adult son of one of our tenants on the phone yesterday. He was concerned about his mother and I assume that he was wanting a further extension, but I made it clear that that would not be happening from our end! (I suppose my response really should have been that I couldn’t speak to them without express permission of my tenants).

He seemed very surprised that my tenants are being moved out with just over a weeks notice (2and a half weeks notice from bailiffs actually) despite the fact that he was aware of our proceedings against the tenants starting early last year.

Apparently our tenants do have a flat lined up but they aren’t sure when they will be able to move (that’s a surprise- I assume that whether private or council/housing association someone would want a reference from the previous landlord/agent).

The son appeared relieved when I explained that the tenants would have 3weeks following the bailiffs appointment to collect all of their belongings before they are disposed of. He’s looking on that as an extended period over which the tenants can set up their new home🙄 rather than a back-covering exercise by us. Never mind- we would be in a much worse position if not for the advice given by this forum!

Comment

Slackjawedyokel at least your tenants are moving. and your will soon have your property back. Good luck, it looks like there will be a closure soon to your problems.

Could I ask if we have to give tenants 3 weeks to move their items from the property. Or could we give less time…

and also did use a template letter to inform them of the 3 weeks - please let me know where I can find this template if you used one. Thanks

Comment

You don't have to give the tenants any time at all to remove their possessions.
                The tenants have no access to the property after the warrant is executed.

They may be allowed to collect things from outside, but the landlord only has to make reasonable attempts to allow them to collect their goods before disposing of them (say 3 weeks).
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates I did make it clear to my tenants in a letter that they should move all of their possessions out by the time of the bailiffs appt and that they (or their representatives) would have no access after that point, but that uncollected belongings left in the house would be disposed of after 3 weeks. It would appear that this is being interpreted as 3 weeks free storage🙄. I will perhaps have to get back in touch and point out that I have many demands on my time and as a farmer my plans often change at short notice. Arranging to move belongings out of the house would have to be at my availability rather than their requirement; it’s unlikely to have top priority at this time of year.

Also, worryingly, the son mentioned that the place they plan to move to is much smaller so they wouldn’t be able to move all of their stuff in; I’m suspecting they may just shift their most prized possessions and leave the rest. I’d ask the forum whether skip hire etc could be claimed from a he deposit, but by the time the rent owed is deducted, there will only be a few days-worth left!

If the son is so worried about them, one wonders why he is not dropping everything to hire a van and place their stuff in storage for a few weeks until they get themselves properly sorted with another place. Possibly he’s not THAT worried…

Comment

The son is worried that they will ask for his help so he wants you to deal with everything.

Whatever happens all is better than having them sitting in the property. Are they expected to clean the house when they move out ?

Comment

I’d ask the forum whether skip hire etc could be claimed from the deposit, but by the time the rent owed is deducted, there will only be a few days-worth left!
                      Don't forget that what you can claim from the tenant isn't limited to the deposit.
                      You can claim for everything you lose and, given the story up to now, i'd probably do that simply out of spite.

Comment

Perce well, yes; the son may be concerned about the situation, but apparently not concerned enough to come and physically sort things out.
                        You’re right; if things go according to plan next Monday then that’s the result we’ve been waiting for. Yes, the house SHOULD be left in the same good,clean state in which it was let. It won’t be (esp if it’s still full of stuff) but that’s not a big concern really. The carpets were not brand new at the start of the tenancy, so would probably be written off by now anyway.

Comment

If the tenants are evicted but most of their stuff is left in the house, would the best strategy be to wait until they make an appointment to collect some of their items then start early and put EVERYTHING carefully out in the side of the road (which is also my land) Then, when they arrive with a van or whatever, they can choose to make multiple trips and move it all, or they can put it all in storage or whatever. Anything left later could be put into a skip. Would that approach come back to bite me?

Comment

Hello Slackjawedyokel - May I ask please how many days did it take for you to receive a pack/documents with a slip from bailiffs ? My solicitor has not received any documents although they were sent on 17th July.

Comment

If the tenants are evicted but most of their stuff is left in the house, would the best strategy be to wait until they make an appointment to collect some of their items then start early and put EVERYTHING carefully out in the side of the road (which is also my land)
                              Yes.
                              Ideally you don't want them to leave anything.
                              The risk is that something is "stolen" while the goods are in your custody.
                              [/QUOTE]Then, when they arrive with a van or whatever, they can choose to make multiple trips and move it all, or they can put it all in storage or whatever. Anything left later could be put into a skip. Would that approach come back to bite me?[/QUOTE]It shouldn't.
                              But the main point is to ensure that it's clear that its their risk if they leave anything behind.
                              I'd confirm, for example, that people will be in the property unsupervised after they leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
                                Hello Slackjawedyokel - May I ask please how many days did it take for you to receive a pack/documents with a slip from bailiffs ? My solicitor has not received any documents although they were sent on 17th July.
                                The bailiffs phoned us on a Friday to say they would send us documents within a week. The documents (appointment notice and risk assessment) arrived at our solicitors the following Wednesday- the same day that the bailiffs served two and a half weeks notice at the house.

That is really irritating if you’re waiting on important documents that you think have been sent, but you don’t want to irritate the bailiffs or your solicitor.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X