The Bailiffs Are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bailiffs Are Coming!

I thought I’d start a new topic, rather than hijacking others as I’ve probably been guilty of that in the past.

Nearly 20 months ago we issues an S21 to our tenants. It got close to Christmas and our tenants pleaded that they ‘just needed another week or two’ and like fools we issued a new S21 in late Dec’19. They had not moved when it expired in late Feb’20..... Covid... Possession Order......Warrant (Dec’20)... So here we are.

We were thankful to have a bailiff call us just over a week ago. He said that we’d get a pack in the post within a week including a risk assessment form to fill in and return, and that we’d also hear about the date set for the eviction. We’ve had nothing so I got back in touch yesterday. We should have had the pack by now (wondering whether they’ve sent it to our solicitor instead), but anyway the appointment for eviction is set for two weeks on Monday 🥳.

If we haven’t had anything through by Monday, I’ll get back in touch and ask them to send it again.

Todays jobs are to write a short letter to the tenants (to ask them to remove all of their belongings from the property before the eviction appointment otherwise it will be stored for 3 weeks after which it will be disposed of at their expense), and also to arrange for a locksmith to attend.

Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. Thankyou for all of the help from this forum during the past long months. I’ll keep this updated!

Very good news ! The nightmare will be over soon. Thank you for your updates.

Comment

Glad to hear that, just checked and my warrant was 5 nov 2020 does this mean your county court is working faster than mine?

Comment

Suggestion.
        Have someone check where they move to - follow in car at a distance if you think they will not give a forwarding address, otherwise no chance of getting unpaid rent back ( if owed )
        I've done it before.

Comment

Propertygoesup

I understand county courts have different workload. Nov is very long time. Do you have a phone number for your bailiffs ?

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
            Suggestion.
            Have someone check where they move to - follow in car at a distance if you think they will not give a forwarding address.
            Nice one !!! All very ' Private Detective ' .

That would be an unpleasant shock when they move to their new place and a few weeks later they get a '' letter ''' on the mat ! Having thought they had got away with it

N.B I would follow them anyway, even if they did give a forwarding address..... they could simply tell a lie .... shock horror.
            Last edited by Hudson01; 12-06-2021, 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling.

Comment

there is a number on the warrant which says blf area court tel no and fax no. should i leave it to the solicitor though ?

Comment

Suggestion.
                Have someone check where they move to - follow in car at a distance if you think they will not give a forwarding address, otherwise no chance of getting unpaid rent back ( if owed )
                I've done it before.
                Hahaha! I did that circa 20 yrs ago!
                The neighbor gave me the nod that they were loading stuff in the middle of the night but I didn't get the text until around 8am the following morning. I shot round there on my motorcycle (she didn't know my bike only my car) to see her getting into a taxi. Followed the taxi for a short while and she went into a pub. Waited an hour or so until another taxi came and picked her up, followed her to a bus station which I couldn't ride into. I watched every bus coming out for an hour and didn't spot her again so that was that for me.
                I did get a letter from Stafford council asking for a reference soon after so I answered it truthfully, house left a tip and rent arrears.
                Fast forward around a year later and I received a check for the arrears from an unknown to me person which didn't bounce.
                Always baffled me that one.

Comment

Suggestion.
                  I've done it before.
                  I did this to some neighbours that owed us court costs after they lost a case in a row over a footpath. I followed the movers van and sure enough their car was there. A satisfying outcome.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Suggestion.
                    I've done it before.
                    Ha ha I like it, but I doubt I’ll be doing that. For one thing, in this area I’d stick out like an obvious sore thumb (house is at the end of a half mile road that only goes to our property and the roads round here are quiet and narrow). The tenants owe us a bit of money (incl £425 unpaid court fees awarded to us), but we are fortunate in that they don’t owe many months of rent. Also, although it’s possible that they have money salted away I doubt it; an MCOL claim would probably result in small monthly payments back to us. I’d be tempted to get a CCJ against them if only to warn prospective landlords but I don’t think they will be troubling the PRS in the future- they will leave here with no (or an honest) reference.

This was never about money anyway- it was only about regaining possession of our property and also moving on tenants who are practically next-door to us but who have rubbed almost everyone up the wrong way (my family, workmen etc).
                    I was originally hoping to refurb and re-let our two rental houses, but with S21 disappearing, I can’t let this happen in future. Also, I reckon it would cost ~250K to bring them up to EPC-C but they’d still be small-roomed houses so that sort of investment would be just daft. Another two houses being lost to renters! (Hope that makes Shelter etc happy).

Comment

very happy to read this!!!; could i ask if your PCOL portal was updated with bailiffs' appointment. good luck, wish i could witness your tenants leaving!!

Comment

Thankyou - we’re all highly relieved to be where we are! I doubt they will be in when the bailiffs arrive, but I’m looking forward to it.
                        I got a solicitor to sort out the Possession order etc, so I didn’t use PCOL.

I’ve got a bit of a worry today. Although the bailiffs phoned us directly a week ago, they sent the paperwork (risk assessment etc) to our solicitor. The Possession Order names (let’s call him) ‘Mr John Smith And One Other’ as the defendant but the bailiffs warrant, which I’ve only set eyes on for the first time this morning just names ‘Mrs Jane Smith’ as the defendant. I’m hoping this doesn’t mean that they only evict the wife, leaving the husband in situ to let his wife back in again🙄. Anyway, I’ve queried it with my solicitor- that’s what they are there for!

Comment

It's a possession order, not an eviction order.

Technically, the bailiffs aren't evicting the tenant(s).
                          The bailiffs' task is to return possession of the property to the landlord, which they do by removing everyone else who is in possession at the time.
                          When they communicate with the tenant(s) they also address other possible occupants.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates Thankyou for that. So it shouldn’t matter that the bailiff Notice of Appointment only names a single defendant, and that it’s a different defendant to the one named on the PO?

Comment

It shouldn't mattter.

It can always be made to matter by someone determined to put a pole through the spokes, but my guess is that it should be OK, because the names must have come from somewhere - no one's made up a Mrs Jane Smith.
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X