Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord move in date changed 3 times

Hi,

I need some help with my current situation. I was moving to a new house the 24th of May, the letting agent called me few days before to inform there was a water leak and I couldn't move to the property and agreed to move in the 1st of June instead. The 18th of May, the letting agent called me again to rearrange the moving date to the 15th of the June to give time the insurance company to fix the leak. Today, 11th of May, I got an email from the letting agent to let me know that I can't move in to the property the 15th of June as agreed and he will come back with a new date and offered me from 2 weeks to 3 weeks free rent.

At this point, I've been living in a friend's house since the 4th of June as I don't have nowhere else to go, I am living 1h away from London being an inconvenience to me, so can I just end the contract with them and get back the money? and what is the landlord's responsibility in this situation?

Thanks

Have you signed a tenancy agreement and paid any rent?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I signed the tenancy agreement to move in the 15th and paid the interim payment (1st month rent) & damage deposit.

Thanks

Comment

In which case the landlord is in breach of contract.

You have options.
        You can tell the landlord (/agent) that the contract has been frustrated by their failure to deliver what they agreed to do and get your money back.
        You can demand that the landlord (/agent) complies with the contract and provides alternative and equivalent accomodation.
        You can demand compensation for the loss arising from their breach, which could cover the cost of staying in a BnB for example.

What the landlord can't do is simply not do what they've agreed to do and force you to wait.

They may not see things that way and you might suggest that they take some legal advice.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Must have been a bad leak to take so long to fix and rectify, I would start to look for a new place asap.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
            Must have been a bad leak to take so long to fix and rectify, I would start to look for a new place asap.
            if insurance companies are involved it could take months to resolve

Comment

It's an insurance company fixing 'the leak', in the mind time, I've been waiting for 1 month so I am going to look for a new place and find a solution for the breach of contract, thanks everyone

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant misleading everyone
                by DPT57
                I think the NTQ may be your best option. The tenant could defeat it by returning to live there but that would at least enable you to get the rent payments reinstated. If they dont return, the tenancy will end. You can serve the notice at the property, but make sure its also sent to wherever the tenant...
                16-06-2021, 22:08 PM
              • Tenant misleading everyone
                by bertha
                I have a tenant who is been difficult I think due to health/mental problems,for the last year I have not been able to carry out epc,gas inspections.It seems tenant has been staying elsewhere ,I informed housing I could not enter the property and was advised by landlord liason officer to get a locksmith,enter...
                14-06-2021, 13:20 PM
              • Reply to Inventory help
                by DPT57
                I based mine on an old RLA template. I think NRLA still have one. You could try that....
                16-06-2021, 22:00 PM
              • Inventory help
                by Helvie
                Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I could download a good quality inventory check list and guidance form, thanks.
                13-06-2021, 14:56 PM
              • Reply to New Tenancy
                by DPT57
                Your questions are too wide ranging for a forum. The answers would form a long article. Asking questions on here is not a substitute for reading. I suggest you join the NRLA and read all their guides and checklists....
                16-06-2021, 21:54 PM
              • New Tenancy
                by SpringGreen
                After the property is ready for advertistng what does a landlord need to mindful of.
                1. what are the pros and cons in terms of tenancy agreement CONTRACTUAL AND STATUORY ?
                2. applicants - how do landlord usually vet them ?
                3. inventories (what comments or descriptions to use ? )...
                12-06-2021, 09:11 AM
              • Reply to County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                by Perce
                Slackjawedyokel - my tenant does not seem to be in the property. I have no clue where he is or whether he will return.. The neighbours said that police were looking for him but when I checked with the police they could not find anything on the system. The police were very nice and helpful and asked...
                16-06-2021, 21:20 PM
              • County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                by Perce
                Hello

I have a warrant for repossession, the ban is over tomorrow. How long does it take to hear from the County Court Bailiffs ? 1 week ? 1 month? What is the process ?...
                31-05-2021, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Pre action protocol
                by flat27
                Thank you for all your knowledge!! I’ve been reading about part 36 - they haven’t said it’s part 36 and they haven’t explained the basis of their figure. Also they have only given 7 days not 21.
                I assume therefore it cannot be taken as part 36?
                I’ve read that part 36 cannot be...
                16-06-2021, 21:07 PM
              • Pre action protocol
                by flat27
                Hi - my tenant has moved out and has caused extensive water damage due to not reporting a leak and just leaving it to cause damage. We have tried to claim damages but he does not want to sort this amicably- does anyone have a template pre action protocol letter to start the court process? Any advice...
                15-06-2021, 17:06 PM
              Working...
              X