Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Tenancy Succession application ignored, not received notice to quit

Hi,

Hoping for a bit of advice on where I stand and what to do next.

First of all, the background.

I, my wife, and 2 of her brothers all lived with my mother-in-law. We were all officially registered residents, with secured tenancy under mother-in-law (with council) since pre 2012

Just under 3 years ago, she unfortunately passed away. We notified council and submitted an application for my wife to take over tenancy as a resident relative. This first application when we enquired was sent by post, and on checking they said no record. So we filled another one in and hand delivered it to the local housing office.

We never recieved any acknowledgement, so assumed all fine, and carried on paying rent etc.

At the start of this year a housing officer called at house to see mother-in-law! We re-explained everything including the application to succeed tenancy. The officer said ok, and that should be fine, exactly same residents as they had on record, excepting deceased.

We've now just received a notice to quit, but nothing on notice gives the reason nor any other communication.

N.B. notice is also incomplete, as it has a section for method of delivery, which is blank. I know they just posted it through door as I have a ring doorbell (they did not ring the doorbell, just posted it, which I had assumed was a leaflet dropper).

We'll call them tomorrow to query, but wondered where we stand, as it appears they have never processed the application and are now not going to allow the succession?

Thanks for any advice or help

Isn't it nice. Cheap accommodation courtesy of the hard working taxpayer through life and for the next generations. Love it. What makes Britain Great.

Comment

Did your mother-in-law take over the tenancy from another relative? If so that may be why your wife's application has failed. I believe the tenancy can only be passed on once.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We checked and no mother-in-law was original tenant from family.

As to the other reply, thanks for your assumptions. FYI entire household work and pay taxes.

Comment

You would need to sort this out with the Council directly as it can be complex on their rules and what type of tenancy and if the tenancy can be transferred to another person. You should book an appointment to sort this out as otherwise you face eviction.

Comment

Agree with the above comment, i deal with housing associations and such most days...... turn up, do not take a brush off and speak with a real person who know the rules and can help you, posting forms and leaving messages will not get you anywhere right now. If that fails then involve the local MP early.

Comment

Thanks all, we've secured an appointment with housing manager next week and they've apologised for previous mis-handling. Still not said why NTQ issued, but at least we're talking (or will be).

Comment

Find out who your Local Councillor is that would be on the housing committee and have a word with them.

Comment

Update. Had meeting (virtual), with housing officer today. NTQ issue was a process action, should have been issued on passing of mother-in-law to close existing tenancy.
                  Our case is flagged as priority due to timescales and mis-handling (with acknowledgement of this from council).
                  The case officer is satisfied that its statutory succession and evidence is provided, so is making that recommendation to manager, now just waiting on official response and new tenancy agreement.

Thanks all for responses to date

Comment

Originally posted by Imntmad View Post
                    Our case is flagged as priority due to timescales and mis-handling (with acknowledgement of this from council).
                    The case officer is satisfied that its statutory succession and evidence is provided, so is making that recommendation to manager, now just waiting on official response and new tenancy agreement.
                    Excellent news, well done.
                    And thanks for taking the time to update us.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X