Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got keys... Want to move out! 

Hi!

Hoping someone can please help here. I recently signed up to a 12 month lease. Deposit and first month paid.

When I viewed the property, it was a hot summers day, and although it was a slight state of disrepair with paint peeling etc, the windows were open and it was a beautiful house in a great area, and steep competition, I was over the moon to get it!

I finally got the keys yesterday and plan to move in at the weekend. Today (Tuesday) I decide to view the property to see what it's like empty before the big move.

I am shocked by what I find. As a brief overview. The garden is in a state of disrepair (but nothing I can't sort). It needs a professional clean as is extremely dirty and is full of belongings from the previous tenants (again I shouldn't have to sort but would if I had to) but the big issue... The stench and the cause of it... Black mould. Everywhere.

As I left I got talking to the neighbour who says the previous tenants got ill from the mould, we're painting every month to cover it up, had the windows open all year round, even in the coldest winter and begged the landlord to fix it and he never came once, and never fixed anything. They moved out at their earliest opportunity.

What are my rights here? I went through an agent but it's managed by the landlord.

I want out. Its uninhabitable and in my opinion I was misold. I've read about a 90 day period, would this apply here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​

Strange question but when you got the keys wasn't the LL or LA present at the time? I would have handed the keys back until it is sorted, it is not up to the new T to sort out, unless when you leave it is left in the same state. Where you provided with an Inventory of the property?

Comment

I got the keys yesterday at the agents office and went to view the property myself alone today. The landlord wasn't present. Prior to this I only viewed it once with the agent with no tenants in the property (they were living there but out) when initially viewing. I haven't been given an inventory of the property, should I have been?

Comment

Get i touch with the agent and refuse to move in on the basis that you have been missold the property.
        Not telling you about the mould and the problems associated with it a "misleading ommission" because had you been told about it, it would have materially influenced your decision to rent the property.
        Tell them you want the contract unwound.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ditto the above....... any LL knowingly letting a property in that state gives us all a bad name.

Comment

Sounds highly unlikely.

If true, right to unwind is a theoretical possibility.

In a real world scenario, reasonably negotiate an early release from your agreement.

Comment

Seems unbelievable, that you weren't provided with an Inventory (if you have paid a deposit), what documents were you given and were meter readings taken. Take photos and go to the LA office and show them the state and ask them to accompany you to the property, and ask them would you live in a place like this?

Comment

https://www.jrht.org.uk/resources-re...s%20restricted.

Black mould is almost exclusively caused by condensation

Comment

I had a tenant complain about Black Mould. Went round and found the wall was damp with patches of Black Mould, sprayed Cillit Bang Black Mould Remover, left it for 10 minutes, went back and with a kitchen roll tissue wiped off the damp complete with the Black Mould..
                  The wall had been painted just before the tenants moved in and after wiping the damp off the wall looked as if it had been freshly painted.
                  When I painted it (the reception room) I used Waterproof Kitchen Paint.
                  After wiping the damp off I tested the wall/wallpaper with a Moisture Meter. The wall was completely dry.
                  Obviously the condensation had not penetrated the wallpaper as the paint had acted a a barrier, although allowing condensation to build up on the surface.
                  As boletus (above) says Black Mould is almost always caused by condensation.

PS. To Landlords. There is a New Anti-Condensation paint out called Coo-Var. Quite easy to apply.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and help. I went to citizens advice also, then shelter who advised exactly what you said, citing to unwind the contract as it was a misleading omission. After an investigation and a lot of back of forwarding i have received a full apology from the agency, and they have said they would have never let the property in that condition had they known the landlord had kept it in that state. They have resolved to dissolve the contract along with a full refund of all monies and stated that going forward they will manage the property. I've lost out money now only to a moving van but it's entirely worth it. I'm still shocked an inventory isn't standard. As surely this protects the landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by Pshow123 View Post
                      I'm still shocked an inventory isn't standard. As surely this protects the landlord.
                      It does.
                      I think what you have there is a poor landlord (and agent?).
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X