Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    You can serve the tenant with a s21 notice if you wish, but it looks a bit like over-compensation for your failure to negotiate a proper repayment plan or time-limited rent reduction. If I were you, I would serve a s13 notice increasing the rent back to its full amount and see if she pays it. If you think she won't pay, you could serve a s21 notice at the same time, but perhaps let her know that at this stage its precautionary.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    As said in a few posts, what they spend their money on is a red herring, have an upfront and honest conversation with her and tell her how you expect her to communicate with you in the future if the rent needs to be reduced, make it perfectly clear that the rent agreed is what needs to be paid, the furlough scheme ends very soon so this will come to a head in the very near future. I have never added any of my tenants on any social media sites, i keep a distance from them and deal with them as a supplier of goods etc. Keep this very simple, and if they default then you take the necessary actions.

Leave a comment:

• randal_bond
    replied
    Originally posted by randal_bond View Post

We didn't say either way.
    The agreement was that T agrees each month about the rent, while she's on furlough. However, last time she just paid reduced rent without asking if if was still ok.

Leave a comment:

• randal_bond
    replied
    Can I serve T with S21?

Leave a comment:

• randal_bond
    replied
    Originally posted by ash72 View Post
    What a T does in their personal life is their business. If you agreed to an 80% of the rent with no condition to repay the rest later, then that is what you agreed.

A photo does not indicate much, only that the T was having a meal with a drink, you don't know if someone else paid, this is irrelevant, don't agree to a reduction if your not happy with it. You could re-negotiate that the rent be returned back to the level again (what you do about the short fall from the previous months is very little if you said that they don't need to repay it), if they are not happy with the increase, either think whether or not you can easily rent the property out again or serve notice on the T.
    We didn't say either way.

Leave a comment:

• randal_bond
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    That I spend my rental profits ££££ on the lottery, horse racing, drink, drugs & rock 'n roll makes no difference to tenants they still owe me rent.
    What do you mean? Did you reply to somebody's comment?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    That I spend my rental profits ££££ on the lottery, horse racing, drink, drugs & rock 'n roll makes no difference to tenants they still owe me rent.

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    What a T does in their personal life is their business. If you agreed to an 80% of the rent with no condition to repay the rest later, then that is what you agreed.

A photo does not indicate much, only that the T was having a meal with a drink, you don't know if someone else paid, this is irrelevant, don't agree to a reduction if your not happy with it. You could re-negotiate that the rent be returned back to the level again (what you do about the short fall from the previous months is very little if you said that they don't need to repay it), if they are not happy with the increase, either think whether or not you can easily rent the property out again or serve notice on the T.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Forget where or how she's spending her money. (She could be being entertained by a client..).

HOW did you agree 80% (eg in writing/email, what was wording)??

I'd simply serve s8, g10 at least, she might take the hint.

If any tenant of mine wasn't paying council tax I'd want to evict them ASAP for not being a decent citizen. .

Leave a comment:

• Tenant pays 80% rent for months but posts her pics in the restaurant

Hi, forum. A bit of a backstory.

We have a tenant who moved in only on condition that she pays 50% of deposit. We accepted. Later we found out that she hasn't paid her council tax for 6 months (we had registered her with City Council, so it was a good try).

From January she says she has been on furlough and asked every month if she can pay 80% of the rent. We accepted, even without condition to repay later.
    We chatted to her recently and she said that things are getting really busy at work. However, she still paid 80% rent last month, this time even without asking permission. When we confronted her about it, she got all defensive.

Now, we try to be always on good terms with our tenants and usually add them on Facebook to keep communication fast and easy. She has just posted her photo in an upmarket restaurant with a glass of wine. Am I right that tenants who struggle to pay the rent, cannot afford to go to the restaurants?

Now the question. We took a screenshot of her outing which shows the date, too. We even gave her a tongue-in-cheek "like". Is it legal to screenshot her public photos? Also, would it be legal to use them in court as part of the evidence or are we breaking some privacy law? Hope that it won't come to that but just am thinking in advance.

Thank you for your advice and any helpful comments.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tennant- issues with rent payment
    by Kate foster
    Hello all, I am having issues with my new tenant for past 4 months where upon requesting a standing order to be set up, he refuses to do that. he wants to pay either by cash, sometimes bank transfer and sometimes spilt payment over a few days in cash and bank transfer. It is causing me distress as there...
    25-07-2021, 13:18 PM
  • Reply to EV Vehicle Charging - Leasehold Flats
    by ram
    I would be inclined to say that if a Leaseholder requires a Car charging station, the leaseholder pays the full cost of that instalation, and not have all leaseholders paying serice charges for instalations that don't benefit them.
    Yes, a station, as trailing an extention lead out of a window
    25-07-2021, 12:04 PM
  • EV Vehicle Charging - Leasehold Flats
    by Hudson01
    I have 2 flats in a block of 12, the car park is attached to the grounds the flats are on, i have been thinking about the future of car ownership and have come to the conclusion that the flats may be less desirable to rent after 2030 given they have zero charging points (obviously) but more importantly...
    24-07-2021, 17:42 PM
  • Reply to Imminent eviction
    by Perce
    Thank you Slackjawedyokel.

I was amazed how many people from the block where my tenant lived came to support me on the day the eviction took place. They all knew what was going on and they were all tenants themselves. He did not cause them any problem.

I told my tenant...
    25-07-2021, 11:14 AM
  • Imminent eviction
    by Perce
    Hello All

Update : My tenant has no plans to move out before bailiffs arrive which is imminent. I have no clue what the bailiffs will do. He will start complaining that he has nowhere to go although he lives somewhere else just keeps his stuff in the property for free, he might say...
    21-07-2021, 19:10 PM
  • Reply to Lodger on uc
    by doobrey
    Give her notice. As an excluded occupier she has got limited rights. It is not like evicting a tenant. Having not paid rent, I'm not sure if she has any right to occupy(?) I did look into this once but never found a very conclusive answer.

If you get into real problems you can change the...
    25-07-2021, 10:42 AM
  • Lodger on uc
    by rmermaid1965
    Hi I took in my friend who I've known 27 years. Her boyfriend kicked her out in the street during lockdown. I took her in and helped her claim uc so she can get some sort of income aswell as paying me rent im on benefits.shes been here 7 months but every month she kept making excuses and...
    25-07-2021, 10:15 AM
  • Reply to Does a GCRO made by a Designated Civil Judge concern only one county court?
    by Obiter
    There is only one County Court in England and Wales. The County Court identified in a GCRO will be that County Court. There used to be many County Courts, but they have been merged into one. The wording of the Practice Direction is merely a relic of the previous arrangement....
    25-07-2021, 10:32 AM
  • Does a GCRO made by a Designated Civil Judge concern only one county court?
    by progress
    Practice Direction 4.2 (1) concerning General Civil Restraint Order says

“4.2 Unless the court otherwise orders, where the court makes a general civil restraint order, the party against whom the order is made –
    (1) will be restrained from issuing any claim or making any application...
    24-07-2021, 11:21 AM
  • Reply to Section 21 received - how much rent to pay in the last month?
    by Rach1990
    Reading more posts on here, I'm now concerned that the section 21 doesn't end the tenancy / my liability to pay rent. So I could serve notice myself but that would have to end at the end of a month (as rental period starts on the 1st). So I wouldn't be getting the full 4 months notice that I'm entitled...
    25-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Working...
X