Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Court Bailiffs 1 June

Hello

I have a warrant for repossession, the ban is over tomorrow. How long does it take to hear from the County Court Bailiffs ? 1 week ? 1 month? What is the process ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...land-and-wales
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Contact the County Court Bailiffs and find out their lead time, it would be impossible for anyone in the forum to guide you - Go straight to the source on this occasion.

Comment

An important part of the document linked to by jpkeates is:

“Where practicable, bailiffs will work in date order of when the warrant of possession was issued to ensure older warrants are actioned first.”

As you (and l) have had warrants of possession granted some months ago, I am hopeful that enforcement will take weeks rather than months.

Also in that document it’s made clear that tenants with covid symptoms should be doing more than waiting until the bailiffs turn up and coughing a bit. I’m hopeful that that will strengthen the arm of the bailiffs if they think that tenants subject to eviction are trying it on.

Comment

JP Keats- thanks for the link. Very useful.

Ash 72 - my county court would not give me the phone number for bailiffs saying they are not allowed to give it and it is not on their website and I could not find on google. The only way to contact them is by email via enquiries done by my solicitor and they took 2 weeks to reply on one occasion.

Slackjawedyokel - thanks. My worry is that my warrant will be forgotten/not acted upon by bailiffs and I would not know what is happening with no way of contacting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
            JP Keats- thanks for the link. Very useful.

Ash 72 - my county court would not give me the phone number for bailiffs saying they are not allowed to give it and it is not on their website and I could not find on google. The only way to contact them is by email via enquiries done by my solicitor and they took 2 weeks to reply on one occasion.

Slackjawedyokel - thanks. My worry is that my warrant will be forgotten/not acted upon by bailiffs and I would not know what is happening with no way of contacting them.

Hi Perce,

Are you on PCOL, that is did you file the possession claim online. if this the case ,you can view your warrant and (i think) its status online. Mine is showing as warrant issued with details of N325 form. However I can't see the action on it as yet. perhaps try this. Just wanted to reassure you, because i know how annoying it can be when you are waiting for some sort of action to get back your property. stay strong...

Comment

Thanks OS7 for your support. Really appreciated.

My PO was done by the solicitors so I cannot check through PCOL. I think S21 accelerated is done only on paper.

I will have to call the court enquiries to check the progress. The main thing is not to miss the date of the appointment. I get very worried that when bailiffs come he will produce a paper from his PRIVATE GP that he is vulnerable to covid and cannot be moved ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
                I get very worried that when bailiffs come he will produce a paper from his PRIVATE GP that he is vulnerable to covid and cannot be moved ever.
                I would be amazed if this ' get out ' is not used by the feckless, it is simply too tempting to not take advantage of.

Comment

Should not the bailiffs start allocating the cases and send out the appointments now? I bet there is only one person doing it from home when finds time.

My T. has no plans to move out and the bailiffs will be happy to oblige. Covid, 2nd jab, low immunity, any excuse will do. His car MOT has expired months ago, cannot even move it.

Comment

my solicitor has said they have emailed the court and they have a long list of orders to execute so no timescale , i dont know where i am in the queue.
                    it would also not surprise me if the tenant tries to delay the eviction blaming covid when they try to do the eviction.
                    so i guess i shouldnt expect anything to happen this month?
                    why anyone would want to do buy to let after all this baffles me.

Comment

Originally posted by Propertygoesup View Post
                      why anyone would want to do buy to let after all this baffles me.
                      Because they're hoping that the plague that caused most of the problems is a one off?

There shouldn't be much of a backlog for possessions (maybe 6 weeks), but I don't know what else has built up a backlog for bailiffs in the meantime.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think it will take two months to get to eviction stage if everything goes well and no more lockdowns but I hope it will be sooner. I am 100% sure my T. will say he is not feeling well and this will scare the bailiffs off and they won't even ask questions. I wonder how much time they will give to T. to recover and try to repeat the process ?

Comment

Perce If a tenant has a positive Covid test (or is waiting for results of a test), they should apply to the court to suspend the enforcement appointment.

However the instructions to bailiffs are to immediately withdraw if anyone is displaying symptoms of Covid (so plenty of room for shenanigans there).

The appointment will be re-booked with a minimum 14 days notice.

I don’t know to what extent the bailiffs will use their discretion if they believe a tenant is faking it (or even if they have discretion to use).

Some room there for awkward tenants to continue being awkward, but you’d think that at some point they will see that they are just staving off the inevitable. They will also have to weigh up their chances of convincing a bailiff that they genuinely have symptoms (easy to fake a cough, harder to fake a fever!) Vs the very real possibility that they will be ignominiously removed from the house for the neighbours to see. Surely better for them to maintain their dignity and move out before bailiffs arrive?

My own tenants? They are either playing a really clever game OR they’re burying their heads in the sand and ignoring everything. I’m guessing at the latter. I doubt they will realise that Covid symptoms will delay their removal (unless bailiffs are required to spell it out in their appointment letter -D’oh)

Comment

Originally posted by Slackjawedyokel View Post
                            Perce

My own tenants? They are either playing a really clever game OR they’re burying their heads in the sand and ignoring everything. I’m guessing at the latter. I doubt they will realise that Covid symptoms will delay their removal (unless bailiffs are required to spell it out in their appointment letter -D’oh)
                            I have a very real fear they will have to do this, it will not be down to the T to say this upfront...... they will ask it, and if the T's are quick on their feet then the answer will be a resounding '''' YES '''.

Also (as i understand it), even if they are shielding or in isolation due to on going health issues..... this too can be a get out clause for them all...... a savvy and smart T will fight this all the way, as a LL i would want a clueless tenant who simply obeys the lawful orders of the court.

Comment

Perce I think we’d all like tenants that obey court orders, including the bit in the PO that tells them the date they should vacate by. My tenants will have been sent the court ruling by the court, and they were sent another copy of it by my solicitor. I don’t think they have ever read it! It certainly came as a bit of a surprise to them earlier this week when we mentioned that they might like to pay the court fees (£424.50) as ordered by the court.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X