Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling property to the tenants

Hi all,
    I've been searching this site for about an hour now (possibly in the wrong areas) and can't seem to find the info I am after - although there does seem to be a vast amount of good info on here.

I have just served notice to the tenants, via the letting agency and as per the rental agreement/contract, as I need to sell the property for personal reasons. As I have read on here, and have been advised by other landlords, I offering a rent reduction for (hopefully) co-operation whilst I sell the property is the reasonable thing to do - and this is my intention.

I sent a personal letter to the tenant explaining the situation and also asked if they would be interested in buying the property. I am going round later today to have a chat with the tenants about selling, viewings etc, however if they do decide they want to buy the place, is there any written legislation stating that I have to offer a reduction to the buying price? If so is there a fixed %age for every year of occupancy, or is any reduction at my discretion?

Any advice will be very welcome
    Thanks
    James

Originally posted by donners90 View Post
    I am going round later today to have a chat with the tenants about selling, viewings etc, however if they do decide they want to buy the place, is there any written legislation stating that I have to offer a reduction to the buying price? If so is there a fixed %age for every year of occupancy, or is any reduction at my discretion?
    If they want to buy the place, then they will be competing against any other prospective buyers and you don't need to sell to them at a better price than anyone else.

However, if you agree to sell to the tenant you can avoid having to go through an estate agent and incur their fees; plus you won't have any void period in between the final tenants leaving and the new owners moving in, and you should have a lot less hassled sale. Therefore it's natural to negotiate a lower purchase price with an incumbent tenant (and they'd expect it too of course).

Make sure that if you do want to sell to the tenant that you don't sign up with an estate agent - they will still want their cut even if they don't find the buyer!

Comment

No discount entitlement; that applies only to tenants in the public sector.
      However, you save on EA fees and HIPS. Why not sell to T for open-market value MINUS these elements (provided that they exchange contracts within- say- six weeks)?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        If they want to buy the place, then they will be competing against any other prospective buyers
        Ha ha where have you been last couple of months!!

Comment

But be realistic if you do need to sell. We were in this sittuation as tenants 15 months ago, and had agreed that we would look at meeting in the middle of three valuations. These were £325K, £355K and £410K. Needless to say with that variation we could not agree a value and moved out.

House went on the market at £385K and is now far reduced having failed to sell at auction, and the landlord has had his agents pestering us to see if we will still buy at a reduced price. He has lost out big time by waiting!

David

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
            Berlingogirl
            This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
            27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
          • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
            MrShed

I'm assuming you are posting this for a laugh
            27-07-2017, 14:22 PM
          • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
            nukecad
            I'm surprised that you are even asking, it's obviously some kind of scam.

At the very least phishing for your personal contact details.

"British America Business man" who can't spell 'American' or even write English properly? - "my personal assistance and he...
            27-07-2017, 14:11 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Pb21
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            John Duff
            Following on from my last post, had the tenant not informed the police and landlord at the time, they would have failed in their duty. I therefore would expect the tenant to foot the bill at the end of the tenancy or sooner.
            27-07-2017, 13:45 PM
          • Tenant's energy debt.
            Gordonmrln
            I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
            20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
            Gordonmrln
            Hi there, I've also been looking into the office of fair trading as nobody has said whether you believe that E.on or that LCS have acted is the correct manner when looking into a debt. well I have found out this piece of information and would like to know your thoughts and views if its correct and I'm...
            27-07-2017, 13:30 PM
            John Duff
            Criminal damage not connected with the tenant occurred during the tenancy and was reported as such at the time. It is not the case that the tenant caused or was responsible for loss of value beyond wear and tear.

I'm just stating my view which appears to be backed up from sources other...
            27-07-2017, 13:15 PM
            jpkeates
            If the tenancy ended and the lock was broken, it would be a loss in value beyond fair wear and tear and I'd expect the tenant to compensate the landlord for it.
            Same as any other damage.

What's different about it during the tenancy?
            27-07-2017, 13:03 PM
            John Duff
            Yes, they have a duty of care but not the same responsibilities as a lease/freeholder.

If I was the tenant, I'd refuse to pay. This is assuming I hadn't been grossly negligent and had reported the damage at the earliest opportunity to both the police and the landlord. I would expect a TDS...
            27-07-2017, 12:55 PM
          Working...
          X