Tenancy Agreement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Agreement Question

Hi there! I would appreciate any advise on this matter.

Me and my partner (we are both of age) are about to move into a flat and have signed a tenancy agreement with both of our names on it.

However, I am keeping this from my parents as living together before marriage is not very welcome in my culture.

The issue now is my parents live overseas and I plan for them to visit me hopefully around December this year if covid clears more for safe travels.

​​One of the requirements when they apply for a UK visa is for me to send them a tenancy agreement as evidence they have somewhere to stay during visit.

​​​​​​Is there a way around this that I am able to obtain a copy of contract with solely my name on it just for the visa application purposes?

Thank you.

If they are coming for longer than a normal tourist, then no, plus you would need to let your LL or LA know that you will have guests staying for an extended period, and request permission as the property may be too small to accommodate everyone, plus other restrictions.

If they are coming as a tourist, they only need a tourist visa and confirmation from a hotel that their accommodation has been booked.

No law abiding poster would advocate falsifying documents in order to by pass conditions for a visa application.

Comment

What you are suggesting is a criminal offence.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Parents will not stay longer than tourist visa restrictions.

Sorry if the question came out sounding naive, my bad. I did not plan on changing the contract without yhe agency or landlord's approval. I was just wondering if there is a way for me to request for a contract with just my name on it (ie. can i ask and pay the fees of contract change if say my partner and I will have different pages to sign individually or maybe have it changed to single tenancy at the moment with landlords approval?)

My partner will be moving out for the time my parents will be staying. Maximum they will stay might just be around 1-2weeks really.

Thank you.

Comment

For supporting their tourist's visa application for fulfilling the accomodation requirement, all you will need is a no objection letter from the landlord/letting agent without making any alteration to the actual tenancy agreement. There are numerous landlords who understand this situation and do assist as well. As a good gesture, you can offer extra rent covering their length of stay there.

Comment

A LL or LA would not change the tenancy, as this would be a legally binding agreement, which you could then show as evidence this agreement as opposed to the original agreement, making the original tenancy void - hence why a LL/LA would not change the agreement.

If the property you reside on is larger enough to accommodate 2 additional adults the LL/LA may agree to a letter, if the property does not due to turning the property into one which is now overcrowded, your alternative route is to book them into a separate accommodation for the duration of their stay (hotel, bnb, AirBnB etc) as confirmation of where they will be while in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Self sufficient View Post
              For supporting their tourist's visa application for fulfilling the accomodation requirement, all you will need is a no objection letter from the landlord/letting agent without making any alteration to the actual tenancy agreement. There are numerous landlords who understand this situation and do assist as well. As a good gesture, you can offer extra rent covering their length of stay there.
              I think the point is that OP doesn't want her parents to know she is cohabiting . . ..

Comment

I can't see your landlord changing your tenancy agreement - it's too complicated in your circumstances.

If a landlord's letter of agreement for their stay will suffice then go with that.

Are they really only staying for 1-2 weeks?

Comment

What will you do with your partner while they are visiting? If you're planning to ask them to move out temporarily it sounds like the surest way to lose the relationship. I suggest you find the courage to tell them you're living together.

Comment

I'm guessing the partner could stay with a sympathetic friend. Sometimes parents just wouldn't understand. Even worse if Lilly is, say, Indian, and her partner is white. Yes, this still goes on.

Comment

Many thanks to all the replies, much appreciated. I am picking up a lot of insights from each and every comment.

Yes my parents will only be staying around 2weeks max since my mom works in the medical field and have limited annual leave anyway.

I believe my contract states I have to make a letter to the landlord to ask permission if visitors can stay temporarily. I am not sure if the landlord will agree to have two more people (both parents) with me for a few weeks. Maybe I should also mention my partner will not be at home the time of visit as that is minus one person staying in the flat all at once. I think the suggestion of offering a bit more to landlord during visitors stay is brilliant and fair.

Also glad to know it might work if I just get a letter from landlord for visa purposes, instead of tenancy agreement. Will check on that and hope it works.

If not, I can look into some suggestions here like sorting out an airbnb that all three of us can stay together during their visit.

My partner understands and will decide whether he stays in another accommodation briefly or go home in that period. He is European and home is not very far from here anyway.

For the person who says for me to be honest about cohabiting, I appreciate that and I'm just gathering some courage 😂 or a lot of it. I am Southeast Asian and its a bit tricky with culture and fear of disappointing parents.

That said, I have not seen my family in 2 years since moving in this country due to covid and dearly miss them. It would have been easier if Im the one to travel back home but I would love to show my parents around the UK beforehand and then I can visit home.

Thanks again and stay safe everyone!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X