Experience of evicting tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience of evicting tenants

Hi all, as we are now almost in the middle of 2021 I wondered if anyone would be willing to share their experiences of the eviction process including waiting times.

After waiting for six month rent arears, mediation, section 8 and section 21 being submitted and ignored I am still waiting for a possession hearing day from the courts. Our solicitor has stopped responding to my messages and its easy to feel alone in all this so was hoping if anyone can tell me how long they waited for a hearing date, getting a verdict and then moving to the bailiff option. I know its not going to be good but I'd rather know. Thank you.

Lots of members have done exactly that. Have a read through the last few pages of posts.

Comment

Unfortunately from 2020 onwards the eviction process has been halted, the waiting times are LONG, I evicted someone back in 2017-18 and took around 4-5 months, that was when things were working and I didn't have any issues with my paperwork. Now the situation is different, therefore you need to have patience and just live with the current situation, I would image 1.5 to 2 years from serving notice to actually getting possession is realistic, yes unfair but this is what it is. Your solicitor will be in the dark as much as everyone else, there wont have a special relationship to get to know what's happening with your case. It's easier to say, but you need to distance yourself from the eviction, despite your T not paying or worse damaging your property at the end, but there really isn't anything you can do about the situation.

Comment

What ash72 says It's not good and it's not fair on landlords. There are going to be a lot of tenants unable to get a PRS, especially if LLs do more thorough referencing.

Comment

I think it's important to keep some sense of perspective.
          There's been an (unexpected and unique in my lifetime) plague - things haven't been normal and how most things are today isn't how they will continue.

There's been an almost complete halt to possession by bailiffs since March 2020, so something that fairly routinely happened 30-35,000 times per annum has happened less than a 1,000.
          Notice periods went from, typically, a couple of months to six months.
          Courts were suspended or operating in a fairly limited way for much of the year.

That's made a huge impact and there are people in real difficulty.
          But unless something goes wrong, in a couple of weeks, possessions will resume, notice will revert first to four months and then return to "normal".
          Courts are planning ways to reduce their backlog.

There's going to be some more pain, but it's not all bad news.

A lot of landlords have had some real pain, and the lack of support (for landlords and tenants) in England has been frustrating, but it isn't how normal will be in a few months.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you all for your responses and being honest. I was thinking of submitting my section 21 to court as well as having my section 8 already in the queue for a hearing date but now I don't think it will make a difference. There have been some structural issues to the building too (not the tenants fault) but the other people living in the block of flats are kicking off as the tenants aren't allowing access and now a full structural analysis can't be done to the building. Putting everyone in limbo on the safety of the overall flats. It just seems so stupid nothing can be done about this but to be patient about the eviction process.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X